Doctors visit regarding COPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I just spotted this thread. I too had been diagnosed with COPD. I never went anywhere without carting around an inhaler and Advair.
I had a cold this last winter that turned bronchial and I had to use an inhaler a couple of days to keep the bronchial open but haven't used Advair since I switch to vaping.
My doctor is thrilled about it.

I should add here that, except for what PG is in the flavoring, I use VG.

MissEmma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
West Virginia
I quit smoking for my final time 16 months ago when I started vaping. I started smoking 55 years ago when I was 15. I had been diagnosed with COPD a few years prior and knew I had to quit or I would soon be on oxygen like my brother and many friends are or were, my brother just died in Jan, because of smoking for over 50 years . I tried my best but although I had quit for five years once and ten years another time I couldn't stay quit this time. I tried other nicotine substitutes but nothing worked until I tried vaping. To make a long story short I went for my annual check up and I was real curious about my lungs and how they were doing. The last time I had my lungs checked the doctor said my lungs sounded like an accordian so I was anxious to find out how they sounded now after vaping for 16 months. I knew I no longer wheezed or coughed but what would they sound like to the doctor. He was amazed and I was delighted because he said they sounded really good. I told him I hadn't had a single cold in 16 months although I take care of my grandkids and they have had lots of colds but I haven't had a single one. I told him I can't prove it but I think it because of the PG I vape. He was real interested in them because this was at the VA hospital and there are many ol vets like me that have COPD. So I pulled out my Go-Go and showed him how it vaped right there in the examining room. He was pretty amazed and wanted to know where I bought them and how much they cost and how often I used it. lol I am going to start carrying cards with me to hand out.
Besides all of that my cholestoral was perfect and my blood pressure was perfect so I'm a happy ol codger today. :)

I work at a VA hospital and I've talked with the pulmanologist and cardiologist. We are all hoping they begin using e-cigs as another alternative to tobacco use. Keeping my fingers crossed for our Veterans! :)

PaulieD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
Beach
Yup,
PG raises heck with me too. It increases the Throat Hit..which aggravates my situation. VG increases the vapor though and that does give some sort of satisfaction.

I just spotted this thread. I too had been diagnosed with COPD. I never went anywhere without carting around an inhaler and Advair.
I had a cold this last winter that turned bronchial and I had to use an inhaler a couple of days to keep the bronchial open but haven't used Advair since I switch to vaping.

Hummingbird

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
The Nest

I just came across this thread as well!

Got a cold last winter and it was a most terrifying experience. Breathing sounded like rice crispies! Couldn't breathe! Ended up on steroids and inhalers. Chest x-ray showed ? COPD! Scared the life out of me. Repeat X-ray was clear!

This said, I had smoked for years and knew I just had to quit or I was looking at a much shorter lifespan!

Started vaping 1/7/2012. The difference is absolutely incredible! No more coughing or wheezes, which was getting worse over time, and I can breathe so much better and deeper. I can now laugh and not go into fits of coughing!

I am beyond happy and so is my family! :D :vapor:

Rar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2011
Champlain Valley, NY
Got a cold last winter and it was a most terrifying experience. Breathing sounded like rice crispies! Couldn't breathe! Ended up on steroids and inhalers. Chest x-ray showed ? COPD! Scared the life out of me. Repeat X-ray was clear!

Yup, this was me this past winter, though I had already been smokefree for almost 7 months. Unfortunately also diagnosed with emphysema. Presently I'm on a rescue inhaler twice a day, Spiriva and Advair. Nonetheless, I'm grateful to be smokefree for over a year now.

Chico'smum

Apr 23, 2012
UK
I got switched from Advair to Symbicort last year and my lungs are much happier. I did have bruising and bleeding issues with Symbicort at 160/40 twice a day but my pulmonologist lowered the dose to 80/40 which works just as well for me.

That is interesting wizard, I have just been given Symbicort by my dr but I can't find any dose like you mention, on my box it just says 120 doses use twice daily then it says 200/6 inhalation powder?
What is the % figure you quote?

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
That is interesting wizard, I have just been given Symbicort by my dr but I can't find any dose like you mention, on my box it just says 120 doses use twice daily then it says 200/6 inhalation powder?
What is the % figure you quote?

You sure it's Symbicort? Symbicort isn't a powder ;)

edit: My mistake. Powdered Symbicort 200/6 is available in the UK but not in the US. Sorry.

Last edited:

tonyhix11

Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Dallas
I just came across this post as well. I just want to congratulate all those that are having success with vaping. I wish it was available sooner to some of those that have already passed from analog induced problems. I know I am extremely grateful that I no longer smoke and hope that I can live to see my children grow up. Best wishes to all.

wefishallday

Mar 16, 2011
California
Great Story to Hear. Congrats. Mine story is so similar. Started at 15. Quit twice while I was pregnant. Back then, you could smoke in the hospital, so cigs came out in the recovery room! Turning 65 this year. Have had COPD about 6 years now.
One year ago January, I tried e-cigs (NOT intended to quit - just to be able to smoke INSIDE) -- WOW - I was amazed. I haven't had a real cigarette since that day and don't want one.

I still have COPD BUT . . . . . breathing got better within a week after quitting, coughing went away, wheezing went away. I still have damaged my lung tissue from smoking, so I still have problems with any strenuous exercise, *like walking up a hill or steps - that's strenuous* but life is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better now since I quit and started vaping. 1 year 3 months now. Very happy I quit.

CaramelCathy

Nov 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have been reading this thread with interest! I want to congratulate everyone who gave up smoking. I know that everyone who smokes will eventually develop COPD if something else doesn't develop first. This was the reason I quit. I am in my 40's and I knew that eventually COPD would be in my future. I am going on 7months smoke free! I also noticed a difference the first couple of weeks after I quit. The on/off wheezing left, and no more cough. I still get colds off and on, and I have mild allergies this time of year.

You are all an inspiration. I want to be a good role model for smokers who want or need to quit.

Last edited:

nansc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
New Hampshire
This happened to me too.I could not even breathe and was diagnosed with COPD,after 50 years of smoking.I could not even walk to the car without having to rest and my oxygen level was tested at 65% function.After I vaped for awhile The doc tested me again and my oxygen level had gone up to 95%.So yes It does work.I still have some shortness of breath but nothing like it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread