Status
Not open for further replies.

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
The Original ModFather, USA
Always wanted a Janty Stick, but decided to make my own. While I was at it, I decided to make it a 5V boxmod.

Here you go .... 5v, recessed 801 carto, two 14250 batts, horn button,WOW .. never tried 5v vaping before, this may be my new favorite. No LED, maybe next time. This is a stealth PV (if you don't count the clouds of vapor)

Haven't secured the goodies inside yet, but it works great!! Those 3.2ohm 801'sw work good at 5v ;)

Cost:
2-AA batt box $1 (Ebay)
5V VR $2 (madvapes)
Horn Button $1 (goodprophets)
801 connector $1 (goodprophets)
2-14250 batts $8.50 (madvapes)
801 black carto $1.50 (Madvapes)

Total cost for entire kit ..... $15.00
Satisfaction ..... priceless

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
I haven't used the 14250's in series....how long are they lasting for you?

14250 350ma batts are the same capacity as 10440 350ma .. so they should last the same (logically) between charges. Saying that, I have no idea at this point, this is the first 5v I have built.

I can tell you that last night, when I finished building it, I put in a pair of 14250's that were not freshly charged. My wife took a dozen drags with a cart of Peppermint Patty juice, and told me it was too powerful for her (sputter, cough,cough). So I loaded my carto of Cherry Pipe Tobacco and vaped a couple of hours before I needed to recharge.

I have also noticed that it goes thru a lot more juice at 5v .. but it sure does hit good and hard (cough cough) ..

drewk302

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
nh
I could have sworn you built a 5v mod before. But then again I have seen tons of your mods so I could be wrong. I have been wanting to stack battys in a 2xaa box for a while now, The only batts I have are same legnth but a little to fat, and I havent bothered to try any others. I see, and know that the neg terminal had to be moved down, but does the cover slide right on? or did you have to do some grinding? Nice mod and Nice job!

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
I could have sworn you built a 5v mod before. But then again I have seen tons of your mods so I could be wrong. I have been wanting to stack battys in a 2xaa box for a while now, The only batts I have are same legnth but a little to fat, and I havent bothered to try any others. I see, and know that the neg terminal had to be moved down, but does the cover slide right on? or did you have to do some grinding? Nice mod and Nice job!

This is the first 5v I have tried. I did use those MV 5v 4-pin VR's before, but that was only using them as a FET replacement so I could use small switches (big waste of $$$) .. discovered IRL3103 and IRLZ34N MOSFETs work fine at 3.7V, and they're a lot cheaper.

For this mod I re-used one of MV's 4-pin VRs that I inadvertently snapped off pin #4 (the control pin) .. luckily, it still works fine as a 3-pin VR :)

I have a bunch of 7805 ICS I scavenged, they're only rated 1.5 amps, will have to try them to see how they hold up. My logic is... 5V / 3.2 ohms = 1.56 amps ... should work I think ???? Anyone tried them before?

Neg term .. yes, I used the other side (the side without the master switch) because 2 x 14250 length is 27x2=54mm ... 4mm longer than a 14500 .. Actually this made it too long, I stretched the spring a bit so it would be nice-n-tite. Had to remove some plastic that originally held neg contact in order to make room for the batt. Love my dremel tool :) I rewired the master switch to the neg side (either side will work) too.

Cover slide ALMOST all the way on (close enough that it will stand up) .. have to figure out what's keeping it from snapping.

Next 5v I might be using a 3-aa box. I think the longer batt life may be worth the larger size. Still, I have been using this one a lot the past day, love it's size.

Here's a pic of an unmodified 2-aa box next to the 5v mod

drewk302

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2010
nh
I have used 7805's. They didnt perform well. Even at a low current draw it does heat up. I noticed it and just watched it, but I like the warm vape and it immediately get hot, I could have made it worse too because I chain vape, but it would cut out and even melted the inside of my box. If you like to vape with a config that draws 1.5amps and have extra parts laying around then you could try it, worst case take it out. Just watch that it dont melt your box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread