Mod Noob... GLV2 or VV??? Looking for input, here, from Modguys who know their stuff. Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Hi, happy mod vapers!!! This is gonna be REALLY detailed, but wanted to give you guys who know what you're talking about enough info to be able to advise. Thanks so much in advance for anyone who's able to help me out with this. I just really do not have enough knowhow to be able to make an informed decision about this on my own.

Ok, so I love my little Ego, but have been having mad cravings for analogs lately. Weird, cause I've been off em close to two years now, and I haven't really felt 'deprived' until very recently. So thinking its time for a mod.. something to amp up my vaping experience. There's no way to stress this next point enough... I am the LEAST technologically minded human on the planet. So I'm REALLY not up for one of these complicated models with all the bells and whistles. I just won't be able to decipher it and it'll end up being more of a frustration than less of one. ;) I know almost nothing about all of the different voltages and ohms and so forth. I basically just vape away with my ego and boge cartos (which I'd like to continue to use, so really want a 510 connection or adapter). Plus, the way the thing looks is rather important to me. I'm not super fond of the look of box mods. I know lots of you love yours and they're awesome, but they don't appeal to me much visually. Plus, cheaper is better. No way no how can I pop out over $200 for a darwin or provari or something like that. Ok, so thems the facts.

Here's what I've come up with after a ridiculous amount of research and hunting around. I REALLY like the looks of the GLV2 (5v). Really really. To my taste, I think its the snazziest looking mod I've seen. Plus people are RAVING about theirs.

I don't know what you guys like to check out when you're scoping a new mod, so here's some things that might be helpful.

Here's visuals on em...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/greatlakesvapor/100824-glv-colors-custom-etching.html
And a written review from a guy who's tried a ton of different mods..
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/greatlakesvapor/235843-wow-glv2.html
and product page at glv...
GLV-2 Electronic Cigarette [GLV-2] - $110.00 : Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor

I know, I know... its not a Variable Voltage. I'm hearing from a ton of people that I'll regret it if i just don't get a VV. But then I found this, originally posted by 6pointsprime...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...lv2-atty-compatibility-consistent-output.html

Here's the important part of that...

You can use virtually any atomizer you want on a GLV2 with the 5v endcap - including 1.5 ohm atomizers including the Cisco variety.

Believe it or not the GLV2 varies the voltage output - automatically.

Just in case you missed my show last night you can catch the replay by clicking the link below. Here's the deal: the GLV2 can use ANY atomizer without any modifications. I have tested the following atomizers:

1.5 ohm Cisco 510 and 306
2.0 ohm Cisco 510
2.7 ohm Boge/Liquid Xpress carto
3.3 ohm V4L coolcart
1.5 ohm 801 (non-Cisco)
1.8 ohm 901 (non-Cisco)

All of these atomizers on the GLV2 clock in between 10 and 11.5 watts. The GLV2 will adjust - without any changes or settings by the user - to produce a good voltage for the atomizer being used. "

As for my needs, really, the only thing about a variable voltage that I think I'd really need or want is the ability to use cartos that will keep the voltage low enough that flavor won't get 'squashed' when I'm vaping Organic liquids from Virgin Vapor. I don't do a ton of experimenting with new snazzy cartos, or plan any further modifications, or any of the other things that some of you love about your Variable Voltage units. Am I correct in thinking, based on the article that i posted, that I'll be able to use cartos that will restrict my voltage to something that will work well with organics without killing the flavor? Seems like that to me, but I am the furthest thing possible from an expert. ;) People in Virgin Vapor forum who use mods are saying that the best they've found with VV organic liquids is somewhere around 4 to 4.5 volts. And with that in mind, what do ya'll think? I'm open to all advice, really. And can't thank you guys enough for your input! I am NOT likely to be a person who upgrades frequently, or who buys a bunch of different mods. What I choose now will most likely be what I stick with for a few years. I'm broke, first of all ;), and second that's just not my style. I just want it to work well and consistently, not be one of those things that you have to disassemble frequently to fix or adjust lil dohickeys, limited troubleshooting needed, not be at all complex to use, and for it to knock me on my bum with performance so I stop having these weirdo cravings for analogs.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you soooo much for any assistance you can provide! Can't tell you how much I appreciate some informed input from people who know what they're talking about and have some experience with this schtuff. ;)

rachel

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
How about this for an idea...

Buy a VV Box Mod from MadVapes for $35 - this will give you a low cost introduction to see if voltages higher than the 3.7-4.0 range are to your liking.

Play with said mod for a month or so - try different attys & cartos at different resistances on a range of voltages.

If you find that 5.0V is a sweet spot for you then buy a GLV2 - if not, continue looking.

The journey is part of the enjoyment.
:vapor:

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West
I have my eyes on the "Poorvary" (poor mans ProVari) aka Lava Tube.... VV tube mod that will sell for around $70 base only $99 for a kit that includes 1 18650 aw batt, 1 3ohm atty, charger, leather carry case... Yes new and unproven but early word is it is a pretty solid mod... Great thing about VV is you don't have to be a tech guru just put on an atty, carto, tank, etc and adjust to where you like best...

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    rofl...Ok, I'm so befuddled! It says its a 5v. Hummina. Might have to do some more research because volts/watts...definitely out of my comfort zone. Thanks for the new outlook, though. That's definitely something to check into! ;)

What that amounts to is that with a normal 5v mod, if you were to find a LR carto to hot for your liking, you can just put a SR carto on it and tame it down to where you do like it.
    With the GLV-2 if you put a LR (2ohm) carto on it the voltage will self adjust to about 4.7v so that you will be at 11watts. If you put a SR (3ohm) carto on it the voltage will change to 5.7v so that you are still vaping at 11watts.

It's a great concept, it's just that they made it to hot for many of us.
    If they made an 8watt version of it, I probably wouldn't have anything else.

Last edited:

orachel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2010
    Mesa, Arizona...USA
    Gotcha! Ok, that makes more sense, thanks!!! Definitely something to keep in mind. I'm beginning to understand what you guys mean about the cheap box mod just to establish what I like. But eh. I REALLY don't want to be out another $40 on this endeavor, on top of what I'll spend on my 'eventual' choice. Esp for something that I know is essentially disposable for me. Beginning to look like i might not have much of an option, though, if people's tastes in voltage vary that widely. Who knows what I'll enjoy. I guess I could always try to sell the box mod eventually to someone in my same shoes. ;)

orachel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2010
    Mesa, Arizona...USA
    really? Even with all the fabulous options you have, there? Well, that's a tick in the plus column, for sure! Plus, it would be nice to get thru the holiday expenses with just $40 or so output on this new venture, rather than the $150 mark. So, just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.... If I get this cheap boxmod dealie from madvapes, I can pop my boge sr or lr 510 cartos on it w fave juice, and just swivel the dial to try it out at different voltages? Nothing more complex than that? rofl Can you tell I'm a TOTAL technophobe? I really am skeevy about new tech. I just got a smartphone this year, if that gives you any idea. ;) Can't thank you enough for all your help and hand holding. I just don't wanna screw this up. And as heavy and out of the blue as these analog cravings are hitting me (after 2 dang years! WTH???), time is definitely of the essence. ;)

btw, I saw a 3.7V Glv dealie advertised, and I know they're making a supermini (its so cute! lol), but i've ZERO idea what that translates to in wattage.

Last edited:

orachel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2010
    Mesa, Arizona...USA
    Ok, so update is that against my own initial gut instinct to go for the 'prettiest' thing out there ;) , I'm deferring to you experienced mod guys on this one. ;) After all, that's why I asked ya'll for your advice. So i just bought a VV box mod, batts and charger used from someone who used briefly for same reason I need it. Basically, he used it just to see whether VV was right for him. He was even kind enough to put little tic marks on box at 3.7, 5 volts (that's the Glv2 mod I'm looking at) and 6.2 volts, so I'm not constantly have to schwangle with the (no e-cig connector) voltage meter that I've got. ;) So we'll see how it goes!!! Thank you guys so very much for all of your excellent advice!!!

Katy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Gotcha! Ok, that makes more sense, thanks!!! Definitely something to keep in mind. I'm beginning to understand what you guys mean about the cheap box mod just to establish what I like. But eh. I REALLY don't want to be out another $40 on this endeavor, on top of what I'll spend on my 'eventual' choice. Esp for something that I know is essentially disposable for me. Beginning to look like i might not have much of an option, though, if people's tastes in voltage vary that widely. Who knows what I'll enjoy. I guess I could always try to sell the box mod eventually to someone in my same shoes. ;)

I recently found a site Welcome to Windows Small Business Server 2003 that has some very inexpensive tube mods. Two kinds: one called Paws and the other is their Shine model. My first mod (which I still use and love) was the double A box mod with a blue button from Madvapes. Then I got a Silver Bullet which can only be described as "wonderful."

Katy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I recently found a site Welcome to Windows Small Business Server 2003 that has some very inexpensive tube mods. Two kinds: one called Paws and the other is their Shine model. My first mod (which I still use and love) was the double A box mod with a blue button from Madvapes. Then I got a Silver Bullet which can only be described as "wonderful."

My mistake for putting the full website on: should have just said Parkes and you can add the dot com.

orachel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2010
    Mesa, Arizona...USA
    Hiya Katy! Can't wait to peek at that site, but I think the link got corrupted. Goes nowhere. I'm gonna pm ya just in case you don't see this, because I'd love to peek at the inexpensive mods. Thanks so much!

lol or not! you caught it! Thanks so much!!!

oops, not sure what's up, but typing parkes dot com didn't work either. Maybe site is down?

AHA! Its parkesvaping dot com! Thanks again for the suggestion, Katy! Off to peek!

Holy shamoley! You weren't kidding about inexpensive! Those Shine mods are gorgeous! And $25! lol I'm gonna see if I can hunt up some tech specs on em, cause the site doesn't really tell you what voltage its at or anything like that. But gee... at that price, you could collect the darn things!

Last edited:

Katy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 22, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hiya Katy! Can't wait to peek at that site, but I think the link got corrupted. Goes nowhere. I'm gonna pm ya just in case you don't see this, because I'd love to peek at the inexpensive mods. Thanks so much!

lol or not! you caught it! Thanks so much!!!

oops, not sure what's up, but typing parkes dot com didn't work either. Maybe site is down?

AHA! Its parkesvaping dot com! Thanks again for the suggestion, Katy! Off to peek!

Holy shamoley! You weren't kidding about inexpensive! Those Shine mods are gorgeous! And $25! lol I'm gonna see if I can hunt up some tech specs on em, cause the site doesn't really tell you what voltage its at or anything like that. But gee... at that price, you could collect the darn things!

Anything taking 18650 batteries would be 3.7 volts ... I think ....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread