Mobile, Alabama smoking ban failed today (but not before removing e-cigarettes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Today at 10:30 AM the Mobile City Council held a hearing on two proposed smoking bans. At about 1:00 PM yesterday I found out something that seemingly not a single Alabama reporter who posts to online media could be bothered to inform people of -- one of the proposed bans included e-cigarettes.

There wasn't really enough time to scramble up local opposition, so CASAA fired off a letter to the City Council members and put in a phone call or two to people in Mobile that we knew.

According to a proponent of the smoking ban who I contacted on Twitter, the council did remove e-cigarettes from the ordinance without any vocal opposition from the other council members.

However, after a long meeting with lots of public comment, the Mobile City Council did reject the smoking ban -- Smoking ban proposal fails in Mobile City Council vote | al.com

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Even though this was an 11th hour campaign, with no time to post a CTA to get the rest of the community involved, this one can be added to our list of Successful CASAA Campaigns. Greg did a superb job of tracking down the information so that we could fax a letter (followed up by emailed version) to the members of the council.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
Today at 10:30 AM the Mobile City Council held a hearing on two proposed smoking bans. At about 1:00 PM yesterday I found out something that seemingly not a single Alabama reporter who posts to online media could be bothered to inform people of -- one of the proposed bans included e-cigarettes.

There wasn't really enough time to scramble up local opposition, so CASAA fired off a letter to the City Council members and put in a phone call or two to people in Mobile that we knew.

According to a proponent of the smoking ban who I contacted on Twitter, the council did remove e-cigarettes from the ordinance without any vocal opposition from the other council members.

However, after a long meeting with lots of public comment, the Mobile City Council did reject the smoking ban -- Smoking ban proposal fails in Mobile City Council vote | al.com

Trying to pass a smoking ban in the Deep South is like trying to pass a law to criminalize corporal punishment in public schools in the Deep South HAHA. Not going to happen lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread