Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
if I was to use a scale, the bathroom scale would probably give me some errors ;)
I would be more inclined to use my scale I use for reloading ammo.... for 30ml but I prefer medical syringes and volume... never can tell if the nic base is 100% DOBC :)

Not seeing too many people Advocating using a Bathroom Scale here in this Thread. LOL

But then Again, I haven't been following it All that Closely. So your Never Know.

BTW - Is there Every a Point when the Ability to Taste the Difference can be Exceeded by Accuracy in a DIY Mixture?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
my sense of taste/smell is so messed up from smoking for so long it really doesnt matter... :) just a good "guesstimation" is satisfactory for me.... kinda like cooking... a pinch of this a dab of that.... plus I really am terrible at math so all the calculations would just complicate things :)

Yeah... I kinda Realized early on that if I was a Drop or Two off with my Mixes that I Couldn't tell the Difference.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I bought this scale with no luck. My ambient temperature is fine and my surface is level, but this thing would not give me consistent measurements nor would it stay on one measurement long enough to even tell what it was even supposed to be -- it continually jumped around. I calibrated it, or at least I tried several times, but it is still wonky as all get out. I was refunded for the purchase, so it's no biggie.

I will likely just spend the money on a semi-professional precision balance instead of trying to save a buck (or several bucks! LOL). In the end, the process should be more simple and reliable, not more frustrating and more inconsistent.

Note: This may have been particular to me, so I am not pooing on that scale, just sharing my experience in case anyone else finds they don't get a good one.

Bummer on that MM. I have had no problem with mine. I have checked it with calibration weights several times and it is right on the spot. Some times mine takes a minute to settle down after I add a large amount quickly but it does settle down to one number. Sounds to me like you had a dud.

If I was to do it all over again, I would look for one that has a one piece stainless top like a butchers scale for easy clean up and plugs in so you don't have to deal with the auto power off PITA.. I think 300G is fine as the biggest batches I make are 150ml and that is well under the 300g even with the container.

I find that I'm now spending almost more time preparing and cleaning up than actually mixing!

And the clean up is so much easier than it used to be as well eh.

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Starting out, I heeded the advice of the elders and made small sample batches of single flavors to determine the individual item's taste. Starting with a base of 50/50-1.2%, I first tried just the plain (unflavored) base. After many attempts to create the "killer" juice mixture, I still go back to vaping the unflavored base. In fact, it is probably about half of my weekly consumption...

I like it. It is easy to mix, and does not need steeping... (Maybe I should add that I'm lazy...since I have more than a gallon of base with nic, and approximately 400 different flavorings.)

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
hope it works out for you.
I'm not a big fan of really small dig. scales, i like them with metal tops and will spend a bit more just cause i'm sick in the mind.
like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-D...qid=1423200379&sr=1-1&keywords=digital+scales

I just bought this one, think it is all i need, and it comes with calibration and test weights:

100g x 0 01g Digital Pocket Scale 01g Jewelry Scale with Calibration Weights | eBay

i will post later if it is good or a dud!

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
Another nice scale i found after many page turns on amazon.
Thing is, cheap prices usually equates to crap. Bad calibration mechanism etc.

This thing has a rubber casing surrounding it too.

triton t3.jpg

Amazon.com: ONE - My Weigh Triton T3 660g x 0.1g Digital Scale w/Rubber Case - TOUGH!: Digital Kitchen Scales: Kitchen & Dining

Lol , even youtube video on the T2 earlier version:

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If I was to do it all over again, I would look for one that has a one piece stainless top like a butchers scale for easy clean up and plugs in so you don't have to deal with the auto power off PITA.
Now that you mention it, the 400D model (the black one) does have a removable steel platform for easy cleaning, it says. And no auto power off. Maybe I put the extra five bucks in for that one after all.

Ah, well, I'll probably have time to change my mind several times before I buy anything, anyway. I still have to mix up a batch or two with the old-fashioned supplies I already got, before I can probably justify something like this to the missus :)

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Another nice scale i found after many page turns on amazon.
Thing is, cheap prices usually equates to crap. Bad calibration mechanism etc.

This thing has a rubber casing surrounding it too.

View attachment 409811

Amazon.com: ONE - My Weigh Triton T3 660g x 0.1g Digital Scale w/Rubber Case - TOUGH!: Digital Kitchen Scales: Kitchen & Dining

Lol , even youtube video on the T2 earlier version:

That one looks very nice, The one I bought is smaller (weights up to 100G - I never mix more than 60ml so it will be ok for me). Also mine "claims" to have a resolution of 0.01g and comes with 2 calibration weights, and batteries. really hope it works...

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
Can someone explain differences of Specific weight verus Specific gravity?

I have used volumetric pipettes and find very different amounts per so called listed MSDS densities. Could someone explain this matter?

Specific weight is weight per unit volume, SI units would be newtons/meter^3. Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a given item to the density of water. Density is mass per unit volume, with SI units of kilograms/meter^3.

Strangebrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
NE Tennessee
Specific weight is weight per unit volume, SI units would be newtons/meter^3. Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a given item to the density of water. Density is mass per unit volume, with SI units of kilograms/meter^3.

Specific weight
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with specific gravity.

So, if in using a MSDS listed specific gravity; as a determining factor to aid in mixing without verifying the weight, the mix will be off some what. Is this a correct assumption?

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
Specific weight
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with specific gravity.

So, if in using a MSDS listed specific gravity; as a determining factor to aid in mixing without verifying the weight, the mix will be off some what. Is this a correct assumption?

The density of water usually used for specific gravity is 1 gram per milliliter (density at 4 degrees Celsius). If a liquid had a specific gravity of 1.2, for example, it would be about 1.2 grams per ml. So, if you were measuring by mass, each 1.2 grams would be (very close to) a milliliter. If you are mixing at room temperature, I would expect the numbers to be at least as good as the accuracy of your scale.

Kable

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
Davis, CA
Seems like a lot or work and money.Maye ok for making huge batches for commerical use.I just do the drop method make 5 ml bottles for personal use.Easy as pie.Seems like your trying to kill a fly with rocket launcher.

You can get a scale for 10-15 bucks. They're not very hard to use.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Seems like a lot or work and money.Maye ok for making huge batches for commerical use.I just do the drop method make 5 ml bottles for personal use.Easy as pie.Seems like your trying to kill a fly with rocket launcher.

I think the Best way to do DIY is the way that a Persons Likes the Best.

Be it Drops. Or a Scale. Or Syringes. Or Whatever.

Reactions: jlynn477
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread