Mixing and Bottle size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks,

I am just putting together an order to start my DIYing and I am looking at bottles. It seems the best value would be the 30ml size for the vendors I am looking at. My questions are:

a. if I only mix 10mls in a 30ml bottle are there any pros and cons? Would you let it steep with the cap on or off? I will be blending zero nic juice for the time being.

b. how far does a 3ml bottle of flavoring go? Should I bite the bullet and order a larger size?

c. bottles with the "eye dropper", it seems to me that the size of the drop you get from those is much larger the what you would get from the squeeze bottle, true or false? If true, is the larger size ungainly when filling carts...etc

d. Pippette vs syringe, do you both? I would think the syringe would be easier to use and clean

thank you all very much for your time and trouble

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
Hi WarriorWolf,
I typically mix my test batches in 5ml bottles and mostly only do 2 or 3ml. I don't see any drawback in using larger bottles, but for mixing the 5ml would be easier i think. I use the 30ml for mixes that i like and make a larger batch of.

A. No cons that i see. For steeping there are various beliefs and methods. When i steep i let the cap off for 24 hours and then put the cap on and leave it.
B. That really depends on the strength of the flavor and how strong you like it. Some of my flavors are very strong and i use them @1.5-2%. Others are weaker and i use 15-20%.
C. True, but i don't see a problem with filling carts, etc. from these. Btw: do you do counting drops when DIY or you use a syringe and use ml? Because since drop size differs depending on what you use, it might give you different resuls. I do the 'ml'.
D. I use both, but syringes for mixing and measuring, and pipette for dripping and filling 'n stuff.

Hope this helps.

Happy mixing!

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
A.) I see no cons in mixing smaller amounts in larger bottles (for the one exception: if you mix too little in a large enough bottle, it might be harder to mix the liquid, especially if you're using more VG). As for steeping, I wouldn't know.

B.) It all depends on how much flavoring you like. 20% flavoring in a 5ml bottle will be 1ml. So, 3mls would be enough for 15mls of juice @ 20%. However, 3mls is a great way to try the flavoring without spending too much. Don't want to end up with 10mls+ of flavoring you'll never use.

C.) I suppose it depends on the dropper, and the bottle tip sizes? I don't see an advantage with filling cartomizers (carts?) with one or the other. They will both do the job.

D.) I personally use both. I don't use syringes for flavorings because I have so many flavors, and so little syringes. However, of the both, the syringe is much more accurate. I also use glass eye droppers (can be bought at Walgreens).

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I was going to order bottles for my DIY efforts, then decided to save the bottles from commercially made flavors I already had. It works out great for me. I generally mix 25ml in a 30ml bottle to leave room for shaking to combine everything. I also pre-mix 4oz batches of my base liquid, PG/VG/nicotine, in some other "recycled bottles so I can easily experiment with flavors. I like to use amber or blue glass bottles rather than the drip cap plastic bottles, those drip caps are a pain to get on an off. I use the ml method of measuring with syringes or pipettes because drop sizes vary depending on viscosity and temperature. I use "recycled" 3ml sample bottles and can easily mix 1ml for dripping to try a new flavor. Since flavor strengths vary so widely it's hard to say how long any specific amount will last. As far as steeping goes, I let my liquids steep five, ten mayby as long as fifteen.............................

minutes! I want to know what my efforts have created!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread