Medical - My hemoglobin level has jumped since I started vaping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
History - when a person gives blood, the Red Cross tests their hemoglobin level before they can donate. (This shows the number of red blood cells in the blood.) Normal levels for an adult woman are between 12-15. (Different labs define 'normal' with slightly different numbers.)

(For men, it's between 14-17. Women are slightly lower because they menstruate.)

To give blood, the Red Cross requires you to be at 12.5 or above.

I've given blood many times (closing in at the 10 gallon mark). When I was younger, I never had a problem hitting 12.5 though I was never much above it. I don't think I ever hit 13. But as I've gotten older (I'm 53), hemoglobin levels naturally drop so I haven't been able to give blood for maybe 6-8 years because I was under the 12.5.

So today I saw the bloodmobile parked at a local store and decided to stop in. (They get some sort of credit when someone tries to donate, even if they're not eligible.) I told the nurse right away that she might as well test my hemoglobin first because I probably wouldn't be able to donate. So she did and it was...

15.0!!!!

The nurse could see my history (last time I tried to donate, my hemoglobin was at 11.3). Naturally she asked if I'd changed anything in my life and I told her the only thing that had changed was that I had quit smoking and was now vaping instead. We ended up having a nice little chat about vaping, etc. (It probably helps that I am a nurse also.)

So now I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed any changes in their hemoglobin levels since they've started vaping.

debinnv

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Island Of Misfit Toys
Oh blast. I suppose I had better get checked now. I have Polycythemia. They were going to actually start drawing blood on a monthly basis. I knew that smoking analogs contributed to it. I never gave vaping a second thought as far as that was concerned. Blast it all. I LOVE vaping. I wonder if that has anything to do with why I have been so fatigued lately. Excuse me whilst I go let out a string of cuss words now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread