Vaping and my doctor visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
"Scott McIntosh, PhD, associate professor of community and preventive medicine at the University of Rochester in New York and director of the Greater Rochester Area Tobacco Cessation Center. “Not every smoker who quits gains weight.” Even those who do, he points out, gain on average just 4 to 10 pounds."

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Maybe he feels good enough to be exercising more?

I never heard of a smoker who quit losing weight and since I quit and started vaping I can say my sense of smell has increased and my taste buds are alive again because some foods no longer taste good and some taste much better.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Still dont see the connection of vaping and loosing 20 pounds. Not gaining is fine and all. Loosing 20 has nothing to vaping.
and why not??? one feels better from vaping ( I know I did) and when one feels better and more active, one does more therefore being more active, therefore potentially loosing weight in the process :)

Reactions: DC2 and Yiana

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Even those who do, he points out, gain on average just 4 to 10 pounds.

I'd sure like to know where he came up with those figures! Since I was in high school (when I started smoking)...I never weighed more than 118 pounds and I'm 5'6" tall. I liked me the way I was!

I quit smoking Jan. 14, 2014 and by June was up to 126. I didn't like it, but I could live with it. Hard to figure where the gain came from though...as my eating habits didn't change 1 bit. Doctor said you don't HAVE to eat more after you quit smoking to gain weight, as I thought you did. Said without the nic my lungs would absorb into my blood stream, metabolism went down. He definiterly found that to be true when he had to change my Synthroid meds to a slightly higher dose. I thought that would stop the gaining.

Has slowly been creeping up since then, and I don't like it one bit...no sir...not one bit! I knew I'd about had it when I got out of the shower last week...made the mistake of looking in the mirror...and from my neck down...I WAS MY MOM!!!

I keep buying new blue jeans as I gain more weight, and now...including the ones I already had when the gaining started, and new ones I've bought along the way...I've got 14 pair of jeans I can't get into!

If 4-10 pounds is the average weight gain...then where's the additional 2 people that should be sharing MY weight gain with me???? That's what I wanna know.

Anyone have any ideas? My activity level is the same, I'm eating the same, etc., etc. Doctor says I'm in the best health I've been in, am about "ideal weight" for a female of my age and height. HUH? I don't want "ideal weight"...I want my OLD weight!

Sorry...rant over now.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Outstanding and nicely done!

Still dont see the connection of vaping and loosing 20 pounds. Not gaining is fine and all. Loosing 20 has nothing to vaping.

I would respectfully disagree since I'm down 38 pounds after two years. I was also a snack fiend and vape things like Raspberry Slushie, Strawberry Starburst (I love Starburst) Rice Krispy and Elephant Ear. Vaping not only got me off of smokes but it almost (yes almost) stopped my snack intake.

Flavors curb that specific appetite and the first year the pounds rolled off.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Nicotine is an appetite suppressant and smokers expend more energy, weight gain due to smoking cessation is generally attributed to increased caloric intake and a slowed metabolic rate. Weight gain can be a deterrent in the smoking cessation process, even if many smokers did not smoke for weight control purposes.

I would respectfully disagree since I'm down 38 pounds after two years. I was also a snack fiend and vape things like Raspberry Slushie, Strawberry Starburst (I love Starburst) Rice Krispy and Elephant Ear. Vaping not only got me off of smokes but it almost (yes almost) stopped my snack intake.

Flavors curb that specific appetite and the first year the pounds rolled off.

Are you ingesting or vaping more nicotine than when you smoked?

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
I had a doctor's appointment last week for my 6 month checkup. I am 64 1/2 years old. I gave them some blood a couple of days before which was sent to the lab with the results ready for my appointment. This was my first visit since being off of the stinkies and vaping.

Results since my last visit:
Lost 20 lbs. Blood pressure normal to the point that doc is considering taking me off of blood pressure meds. Cholesterol normal. Blood sugar 99...normal. Triglicerides normal. CO2 in blood normal. Of the 60 or so parameters measured by the lab, I was withing the normal range in all but 2, and those were both only 1% high and not significant. Doctor listened to my chest and remarked that it was the first time she did not hear wheezing in my breathing. We discussed my vaping and her reply was simple: "You're healthier than you've ever been in the years you have visited me. Don't change anything. Whatever you are doing is working, and working well."

Benefits of vaping? I'd say so.

This is some great news! Congratulations! :thumbs:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Quite incorrect.
Vaping can be used to aid in dietary control, and has been for several years - mostly non-nic programs.
Vaping favored flavors and curtail excessive snacking. Add that to Feeling better from Not Smoking and becoming more active, changing typical diet to further benefit health and everything working together Can reduce weight.

Google

:thumb:

Reactions: DC2 and Yiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread