Medical concerns about eliquid flavorings

Status
Not open for further replies.

zFb-

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Colorado
I thought of steeping tea in PG and filtering it to make my own flavoring. I really want to but it brings up health concerns. I know that certain things are fine for ingestion but when inhaled can cause medical issues. This made me think of all the other flavors that are being used currently in eliquids. I know that we're pretty much pioneering this industry but how are we sure that the flavorings that we're inhaling are safe? I love vaping and don't intend to quit but i know im not the first to ask this question. What have we found out so far about flavorings being inhaled?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The problem with making DIY flavors like this is that you really don't know what you will be inhaling, and you might be the first to do it. At least with other flavors, thousands have done it before, and probably for years.

Using solvents on plants will probably extract several things you don't need or want. For example with rose, instead of extracting it yourself, you can buy rhodinol or rose oil that has been produced correctly for scent and flavoring. If you just want the tea flavor, some suppliers have this in stock. Look for a supplier with a wide range of e-liquid flavors. Also someone like The Perfumer's Apprentice, for the base flavoring.

But you need to be aware that you will be on the bleeding edge if you start using something few or none have used before. Many flavorings have proven innocuous to inhale, by reason of incident-free use over many years. Other flavors have been found to have problems when inhaled, and they are not likely to be the only ones: butter/popcorn (diacetyl), cinnamon, capsaicin (chilli) are the first that come to mind.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As Roly said, anything that contains oil or oily residue is not good for your lungs. Leaves can fit that description. Lots of things that you eat or drink don't hurt you (diacetyl is one) but aren't welcomed by the lungs. Some Cinnamon juices can melt clear plastic cartomizers! If it irritates your throat or lungs, it's worth checking out. The experience of vapers can provide insight and ECF is a good source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread