LR cartos- Are they junk, or am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Fire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2010
Terrapin
Looks like I originally posted this in the wrong forum (e-cig accessories). I was posting from my phone and obviously wasn't paying close enough attention to where I was posting. :oops:

Maybe I'll get a better response in the correct forum.

I recently bought an eGo, after starting vaping with a KR8. I was new to the 510 design, but I now really enjoy being able to use carts, drip, or use cartos. I'm even able to use my KR8 cartos with an adapter, so all is good. I quickly discovered that I prefer the low-resistance atty over the standard one, as it takes a much lighter pull to get a good vape.

Although I enjoy dripping and using carts, I also really like the no-fuss ease of cartos, especially when I'm out and about. Since I like the LR attys, I thought it made sense to order some LR cartos for a similar effect. All was good for the first couple of puffs- massive, blow you away throat hit and all of that. Then, I tasted an underlying burning when I would take a puff. I tossed it and tried another. This time, the carto only got midway through a puff and just sort of died. Hmmm.

I'd almost forgotten about a disposable 510 I bought back when I was thinking about trying vaping. I ordered it and before it even arrived, I ordered the KR8, because I decided that I needed to start with the real thing. I started thinking that maybe the eGo battery is just too powerful for the 510 LR carto, so I chargeg the disposable 510 batt and tried a fresh one on that. No vape at all. I put the same carto on my eGo and got a good puff, then nothing after that. Dead.

I didn't expect the LR cartos to last quite as long as the standard ones, but this is ridiculous! Is this a common problem, or am I doing something wrong? They're blanks that I filled with juice from Vapor Station and Johnson Creek Juice. Not only are the cartos toast, but the juice I put in them is wasted, as well.

I'd appreciate any advice or feedback....thanks!

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
You can get some of the juice out if you do a reverse Taryn Spin into a condom...

As for the LR Cartos, the ones I have used (and video reviewed) were very touchy as well. You need to keep them pretty wet, to the point where a lot of people use drip tips on them. They like juice...a lot! But, they should last for a few refills if you are using them properly.

Keep them wet!
At the first sign of vapor diminishing, top it off ASAP! Otherwise you'll burn the filler
Try 'em with a drip tip

As for the use on a standard 510 battery, it not working doesn't surprise me. Just like an LR atty, they are not recommended to be used on a battery that is under 400mAh capacity. It also may not have had enough voltage to power it as the eGo has been proven to put out better power than the standard 10 battery.

Altmed

Jul 20, 2010
S. California
Thanks Scarlet Fire & Basil Ray for this discussion!

When I got my 1st sets of my cartridges (CR-2 cartomizers for the KR808-D1 batteries), I went through them pretty quickly, as I was new to vaping (still am, but reading everything I can get my hands on about "e-Cigs" or the term I prefer, "PVs or Personal Vaporizers.

I spoke to one place that told me as far as the burning, where some people might vape to the end, even possibly do a "dry burn" only to find their cartomizer tastes like burnt plastic. I've also had a few new ones taste like "Paper", although I'm not entirely certain as to why.

As for the burnt taste, however, it appears as though there are both cartomizers with plastic internal parts and those with ceramic! Apparently the ceramic innards are made to last longer, vapor far better and make the tastes are less raspy, don't carry that burnt taste, and taste smoother.

If you are uncertain which cartomizers you have, or want to know before buying, ask! If the store doesn't know, you can bet they are plastic inside!

I've also received some cartomizers that were defective - 1 simply never worked, 2 others have the taste of paper and little or no vapor (?dried out?), still one other vaped VERY nicely, yet tasted like burning chemicals and crackled.

Any ideas on what to do with those carts that new tastes like paper? Are they defective? dried out? Have another problem?

I've sen some people advocate "boiling" their cartomizers to clean them, then still have the burnt taste. I think once a cartomizer burns plastic innards, I think it's time for them to go into the trash.

I hope all the newer cartomizers will have ceramic innards! I am going to start asking. Those few I have with ceramic innards perform far better and I don't get the burnt plastic after-taste! (yet some plastic innards ones have been fine too thus far on their 1st run) maybe just keeping them wet is the key? (but not too wet?) I'm just starting to "reload my cartridges. Any hints on reloading?" If adding flavors or mixing them, should you mix before? One mix of coffee & another of some RY4 separated in the lid. You could squish the cap a little and get them to mix, but how does hat affect vaping it later?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

-Altmed

Last edited:

jamesam1243

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2010
Midland Michigan
i bought 5 LR cartomizers for my Hello 016, the first one i tried was fantastic for about 4 puffs and then it turned to burnt crap. i thought to myself that i have no desire to investigate this further and so they sit in their box until some time that i am really really bored

James

August 05 smoked 00 cigs, 40 less than my usual 40 cigs a day 3278 cigarettes not smoked in 94 days by using Stonewall, Joye 510, Hello 016, Ken's BoxMod, MadVapes 2xAA Box Mod, WetBox Vaporizer (ecig) and 19 bottles of ejuice partially used , $0.28 per cig X 3278 Cigs = $917.84 diverted from cigarettes to Vaporizer (ecig). OMG I have spent over $2025.59 in 92 days on this stuff but bare in mind that my old cigarette cost was $330 a month, using snus + PV right now ( General White Portion Mint )

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
LR is a vague term. Without knowing the exact ohm rating of those cartos it's hard to be specific. Some LR are as low as 1.3-1.5Ω, which is really low,IMO, even for a 3.1v batteries like the 510 model. They need to be kept very wet at all times. I have a Riva and prefer the moderate resistance cartos--2.0-2.6Ω, like the Tru-Vapor 510 from Vapor Etc or Good Prophets (they are temporarily out of stock). Some people use even higher resistance cartos, like SLB and Boge 510 (about 3Ω).

We are in the process of creating a Master Thread for carto users, it's still under constuction, but you can find some good info there.

Carto Master Thread - Just the Facts Ma'am - No Chit Chat Please

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Bumping this thread
I bought some LR 510 cartos from Clouds of Vapor and I believe they are SLB's (SGS on package). In a word, they suck.
Bad flavor, low vapor, 2 of 5 were DOA, don't soak in the juice etc etc.

So does Boge make LR 510 cartos? Does anyone know where to get them and what resistance they are?

I'd love any help! I normally vape a Prodigy V2 at 6v with Boge cartos and love it. But the V2 is just too big sometimes. I went out and bought an eGo 900mah batt and cone and REALLY want this to work for me! But the SGS LR cartos make it unusable!!!

HELP!!!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Look here for brief reviews and vendors:

Carto Master Thread - Just the Facts Ma'am - No Chit Chat Please

I had no luck with LR cartos from CoV, but I don't like LR, so I'm not an expert. Provapes carries newer LR (they look like SLB), 1.8-2.0Ω.

Boge and SLB 510 cartos are about 2.9-3.0Ω.

Good Prophets carries 2.5Ω cartos, you may want to check them out.

I use Tru-Vapor from Vapors Etc., 2.4Ω, but there have been some QC issues there recently, hopefully they will be fixed soon. Some of those cartos burn or just die prematurely. It's a shame, because I really love them. When they work well, they are fantastic ("vapezone" coupon code, 10% off). These are my favorite cartos (and my favorite ohm rating) for the eGo/Riva batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread