Lowering Nicotine Strength with Goal of Zero Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
I have a question before I go to bed and will look at answers in the morning. After switching from disposables to a ego-c a week ago I started at 30 mg / ml (Too high I thought/think). I was going through about 3 ml a day. I was smoking 1.25 packs a day.

This evening I received my 12 mg / ml and think I smoked 1.5-2.0 ml in 6 hours. That's a lot more vaping but probably same nicotine. Did I drop too quickly?

My goal is to eventually get to 0 mg nicotine / ml. Ideally maybe do no vaping but for now I'm ok with thought of vaping for a year or more as long as I eventually get down to 0 nicotine / ml. What is the ideal method of achieving this goal. As stated I think I started too high but may have dropped too low and am now countering that with more vaping than I was doing before.

As I see it there are several options:

Option 1 stay with 30mg/ml and decrease vaping. Hard to see this working as decreasing number of cigs was hard enough.

Option 2 decrease nic mg/ml and stay at the same amount of vaping gradually. I think this is doable but need to be constantly conscience of keeping my ml intake at the same level as I decrease my nic mg/ml. It's even harder to keep track of if you start saying to yourself I'll smoke the 30mg in the morning, 15 mg in the afernoon, and 0 mg in the evenining.

Option 3 decrease nic mg/ml and also decrease ml intake per day. Again hard as it was hard to reduce cig count per day for myself.

What have all of you had the most success with? Please name other options if I'm missing an obvious one.

Again Ideally I wouldn't have to vape or have nicotine...but for starters I'm willing to lower nicotine hopefully to zero and then decrease vaporing. I don't want to get into debate of vaporing is healther and you should continue to do it as long as you are off analogs. I really want my ideal goal to be to get off all of it. I do realize it would most likely be healthier to vape with or without nicotine then smoke analogs but I do eventually want to become dependent free of this habit. I also don't want to set the goal line too far away that is unachievable. Baby steps as Bill Muray said in movie I can't remember title of :)

So what advice do long term users have to get to that eventual goal of 0 nic and 0 vaping? Or has everyone just decided to get to 0 nic and continue vaping? Off to bed but am very very curious as to others goals and how they plan on achieving those goals.

FYI: I'm in about week 2 so analogs are still priority and I have relapsed a few times. Namely last weekend. I went from 1.25 packs to about 0.25 on disposables and am basically at 0 analogs now except for minor relapses.

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
You're not really off the analogs, until you've been completely off them for two weeks.

In the mean time, you're "in transition" and should vape as much as you feel like. If having a few analogs helps, then by all means, do what you must.

After your transition period is over, everything gets much easier. You'll be able to lower the nic, and even using different nic levels throughout the day. Next you'll be planning another nic decrease.

Somewhere in there, your tasting profile will change, and you'll likely find another preferred juice flavor. You know you're there when those analogs taste like an ashtray.

Good luck to you!

omeletduefromage

Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
United States
like said above, your main goal is no analogs. Vape as needed. After you are more comfortable with out them I would try dropping the nic gradually. go from 30 to 24, then to 18, then to 12, 6, and then 0. I made it down to zero and then brought it back up. I use nic as a stimulant instead of coffee. So im now at a constant 12 with the occasional 6.

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
I agree with the others, really focus on getting off and staying off cigarettes. If 30mg feels like too much then try 24, your goal right now is to find a nic level that you are comfortable with . I smoked 2 pad a day for years, so I started at 24mg and pretty much chain vaped until I no longer wanted a cigarette, it took me about 2 weeks before I really had no desire for a cigarette.

I too am hoping to get down to zero nic and then I will decide if I want to keep vaping, I am currently comfortable with 18mg and will probably go down to 12 next. When I do lower my nic level, I usually start chain vaping again, but I don't worry about it, as I get used to the new level the chain vaping tapers off. Also please be sure to drink plenty of water as vaping is dehydrating and dehydration can give you some unpleasant symptoms.

Slow and steady and you will achieve your goal :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I also agree with everyone who has said don't worry about dropping nic levels until you are over smoking. IMO quitting smoking and quitting nicotine are 2 completely different things. I smoked for 37 years. Took me a few months to get over that. Once I didn't want a smoke anymore I started lowering nicotine. Went from 18 mg to zero in about 9 months. I went to 12, then 9, 6, 3 for a short while and then to zero. Each time I reduced nic I would vape more. I would wait for that to go away and then reduce again. Worked for me - I have not had any nicotine this year and people can smoke around me and it doesn't me.

That worked for me, but whatever works for you is great. Best of luck with it :thumb:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Somewhere in there, your tasting profile will change, and you'll likely find another preferred juice flavor. You know you're there when those analogs taste like an ashtray.

This isn't always true of everyone. I can and will enjoy the rare clove cigarette even after three months of vaping non-tobacco flavors, and it's just as delicious as when I first started smoking. Was cig-free for about two months, taste buds were back in full swing, lit one up at a concert and thought it was just fine. Now, I still prefer vaping, for many reasons, and I'm effectively analog free as far as cravings go, but not everyone is going to find a cigarette disgusting after spending X amount of time vaping. After all, there are folks that enjoyed the taste of their first cigarette, I'm sure..same thing applies here. Not knocking on you or anything, just saying there are two sides to the coin :)

like said above, your main goal is no analogs. Vape as needed. After you are more comfortable with out them I would try dropping the nic gradually. go from 30 to 24, then to 18, then to 12, 6, and then 0. I made it down to zero and then brought it back up. I use nic as a stimulant instead of coffee. So im now at a constant 12 with the occasional 6.

Agreed 100%, there's no limit on how much you can vape, I started on 24-30 to get off the death sticks, chain vaped a lot, burned through cartos like there was no tomorrow, but after three months I'm down to zero-nic except in the mornings to wake myself up, when I'll vape 12mg or sometimes higher. I'm in the same boat using it as a stimulant, I know flat out for a fact I can stop using it any time I want to, as I have in the past, but I found myself turning to coffee and energy drinks as replacements, all of which are far worse on your body than vaping. Cigarettes are still awful for you, but when the shootout is two cups of coffee and a Red Bull versus inhaled nic/PG/VG, I think the winner is clear.

MarleysChains

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2013
Maryland
Not to sound like a broken record, but I agree with everyone else in terms of just focusing on staying off cigs. But here's what's been working for me.

I was smoking about a pack a day for 15-17 years. I started out at 12 mg which was probably a little low but I was able to manage. I was going through 4-6 ml a day initially. When I noticed that I was going through about 2.5-3 ml a day I decided to drop down to 6 mg. I gave myself about 3 weeks at 12 mg at 2.5-3 ml a day before making the switch to 6 mg. Once I dropped the nic level I noticed that I was up to about 6ml a day again. It's been about 4 months at 6 ml and I am down to about 2.5-3ml a day again and I will be trying 3 mg this weekend.

The key to all of this for me was paying attention to my cravings (both frequency and intensity) and letting my body tell me when it was ready to step down the nic levels. Determining how and when to taper down the nic level is really in my experience a individualistic choice/program/decision. But the one thing that I do think is universal is to not force it before you are ready. If you do force it you're only setting yourself up for failure in the long run.

What ever you do decide, good luck and don't forget about ecf, this is a great resource and support group.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
The key to all of this for me was paying attention to my cravings (both frequency and intensity) and letting my body tell me when it was ready to step down the nic levels. Determining how and when to taper down the nic level is really in my experience a individualistic choice/program/decision. But the one thing that I do think is universal is to not force it before you are ready. If you do force it you're only setting yourself up for failure in the long run.

Definitely a matter of the individual paying attention to their own cravings. My experience stepping down was more of a 'let me see if I can get by on a lower strength', and if I felt I wasn't satisfied, I'd keep at it for another day or so, if it still wasn't working I'd either step back up for a few more days or mix two juices to get something in between, i.e. 12 and 18 to get roughly 15mg, and generally those steps were gradual enough I didn't notice them. Waited until I was no longer chain-vaping the lower strength, and bumped it down again..the lower I got, the more I forgot I had stepped down, as I got the same fix from lower nicotine levels as I had been at 24mg in the beginning. Some have to really work at it to drop levels, some can do it like flicking a switch, there's no good 'right' answer. I think your post summed that up pretty well, as did the ones earlier.

GratefulVaper

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
L.A. Ca
For what it's worth. .. in the last three and a half months my journey took me, a 40+ analog a day guy, from 18mg the first month to 12mg a couple weeks to 6mg a couple more to zero nic.
my body adapted even if my personality didn't. I decided maybe I like a little nicotine and started mixing my nic free DIY juice with some 6mg to make a 2 or 3.
As far as quitting Vaping altogether...
I like the whole lifestyle. The activity, the modding, rebuilding, the hobby aspect of it. (Even thinking about Vegas for the convention) so I'm not trying to stop vaping. .. yet. I smoked nearly thirty years. I'm coming up on 4 months off analogs?!?
ONE VICTORY AT A TIME!!!

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
But the one thing that I do think is universal is to not force it before you are ready. If you do force it you're only setting yourself up for failure in the long run.

Point taken...and going from 30mg to 12mg was/is too drastic of jump. I'll have to put an order in for some 24mg

And thanks to all that responded giving hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully will be able to get down to zero eventually. I probably shouldn't rush that process too quickly.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
To answer your question, there is no set way of doing this, nor any ideal way of doing this.
Instead, there as many different ways of doing it as there are people.

Well, I take that back.

There is an ideal way of doing it.
And that is the one that works for you and makes you comfortable.

The important thing is that if that is what you want, then you will get there in the end.
The road you take isn't really important as long as it gets you there.
:)

I know all of that doesn't sound very helpful, but it is the very best advice I have to offer you.
Seriously.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Ive found menthol or even spearmint flavors 24mg and heavy vapor helped me a lot the first few days. Its still my morning juice. I also got a bottle of RY4 30mg and draw less vapor when i just want some nicotine fast. Ry4 30mg in the iClear30 at 4volts is brutally strong even for me. I add a few drops of ry4 to berry flavors but i smoked flavored cigars and cigarillos for many years. Once in a while i did enjoy a menthol when i smoked analogs.

What made it easy for me wasn't so much the juice as it was the high vapor output. I felt like i was still smoking. My mind thought it was still smoking. Right now i use anywhere from 16mg to 24mg nic juices for all day vaping and i use it as much as i want. Even my friends super low nic VG grape is good enough for most of the day.

I just made it two weeks and i could not be more satisfied with the exception of not being able to find a few products locally. Vape as much as you want until you have no desire for an analog. Try a different tank/atomizer ect if possible until you get the level of vapor and nic that is totally satisfying.

wbbrn1952

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Pensacola, FL, USA
I have been vaping for about 13 months now and I started at 18 mg/ml e-liq. After about 2 months I dropped it to 12 mg/ml - I vape a little more e-liq but soon leveled off and now I am at 6mg/ml - I make a lot of my own juice so I can control my nicotine level easily - I was sent a sample of e-liq with a nicotine level of 18 about 2 months ago and when I vaped it I got a tremendous headache. I am planning on reducing the nicotine to 4mg/ml in the next month and I expect I will vape a little more at that time but I will level off as I get use to the new level.
Congrats on the 2 weeks off analogs Evil grin.

Bill Oso

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2013
Michigan
Maybe my willpower is weak but I haven't even thought about stopping vaping entirely or dropping the nicotine down to zero. Well, I guess I have thought about it a little, but haven't dwelt on it longer than a few fleeting moments. After smoking around a pack a day for 17 years, I am happy with vaping 18mg, down from 24mg, for 45 days and don't care to set a timetable for myself quite yet.

scotton

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Texas
I smoked from age 14 until my late 30s and quit cold turkey. After about a year, I went to cigars, because that's not really smoking, right? Did cigars for about 5 years and quit them for a year. Then I started getting stressed about some things and started to get that little tickle. That's when I started vaping.
I'm on 8-10 mg of nicotine and I don't have a plan to go lower. I feel like nicotine was a substance that helped me deal with stress when I was a teen and young adult, so I'm kind of wired to it at this point. I could live without it, but since I found a safe and inexpensive way to imbibe, why not enjoy myself?
Life is a terminal event, I don't want to waste it worrying about things I enjoy doing. Plenty of other crap to worry about.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
And thanks to all that responded giving hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully will be able to get down to zero eventually. I probably shouldn't rush that process too quickly.

I started off with 36mg nic. Smoked 2.5 PAD when I started vaping. Mostly vaped but still smoked tobacco cigs for about 6 months, steadily cutting the number of cigs weekly. Then I started cutting the nicotine in my DIY juices about 10% every week or two. Accidently left the nicotine out of a batch. . .realized it 24 hours later. Decided at that time. . .who needs it. Vaped 50/50 VG/PG for the next year or year and a half. Feb 6th this year I went into hospital for surgery. Didn't take my ecigs. That was my last vape. After 52 years of smoking I accidently quit. Now, I don't miss either. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread