• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Lorann flavorings

Status
Not open for further replies.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
I've read a number of threads talking about using Lorann flavorings to spice up otherwise undesirable ejuice (really wish more suppliers would offer smaller sample sizes!), so I thought I'd try a few out and see if I like it. Eventually, maybe I'll start mixing my own from unflavored juice.

I stopped at a few places in Austin and called a few others trying to find these candy flavoring oils, but have had no luck so far.

Is anyone aware of anywhere here in Austin, or any regional chain stores, that carry this stuff?

Thanks!
Tim

Kat

Feb 24, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Walmart carries them. They are NOT in the food aisles, though-- they stock them in the craft area, which is usually in the back of the store. Well, it is here in DFW, anyway. :) Look for yarn and wedding cake stuff and art supplies. When I got mine they were sold two teensy bottles to a card on a hanging display. Kinda like crazy glue.

Hobby Lobby also has them, and they should be near the wedding supplies. I'm planning on checking out them out today, so I'll let you know if they're somewhere special.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
Wow, that was fast! :)

Walmart carries them. They are NOT in the food aisles, though-- they stock them in the craft area, which is usually in the back of the store. Well, it is here in DFW, anyway. :) Look for yarn and wedding cake stuff and art supplies. When I got mine they were sold two teensy bottles to a card on a hanging display. Kinda like crazy glue.

Great tip, thanks! There's a Walmart right by my work, I'll see if I can cruise by today...

Hobby Lobby also has them, and they should be near the wedding supplies. I'm planning on checking out them out today, so I'll let you know if they're somewhere special.

Okay, thanks - Hobby Lobby wasn't open on Sunday, or else I would have tried them yesterday.

Oh, and also you don't want the ones that says they're oils, as they might clog up your atomizer or somesuch. And avoid food colorings, although some of the ejuices I have certainly seem to have some sort of coloring to them. There's an entire sub-forum on the subject in the Tips & Tricks area.

If not the oils, what exactly should I look for? That was what I saw in a post by Kate in a big thread on the topic... or do you mean, avoid the ones that have oils listed in the ingredients?

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

Tim

trintek

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
search for "LorAnn Flavorings" should be second hit (started by xKrazyX), second post in the thread has a pretty complete list of tested ones.

i usually stick to bickfords as the flavor difference is huge plus their water soluble clove actually tastes like clove and not just clove oil. it's the main base i am using to try and recreate the djarum black tea flavor.

udave

ECF Veteran
Yes, WalMart and Hobby Lobby have them for sure. My Hobby Lobby had about 20 flavors or so, only about 1/3 of them were 'oils'. The best flavors I got from there were the butter rum and butterscotch, they are great! I'd like to find the peanut butter flavor locally, it could maybe make for some interesting recipes.

I have been meaning to check HEB for LorAnn's since that is the place I do my weekly grocery shopping (I do not like going to Walmart) but every time I am in HEB I forget to look.

cwood76

Apr 4, 2009
Houston, TX
If you're in the Houston Area, I found Lorann flavorings a HUGE selection of the dram sizes (good for trying out/testing) at a little place called Larry's in old Pasadena on S.Richey & Shaver. Not a nice neighborhood, but my good lord the scope of that store is mind boggling. It's like a maze of craft/baking goods. And it's been there since I was a kid.:D

trintek

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
kat: heh only mentioned clove as it is the one obstacle to vaping most of my friends have. I have tried a few of there flavors and the ones i have tried are amazing, not much needed to get extremely good flavor. apple cherry and butter pecan are two really decent ones though.

in the kretek sense, i visited indonesia and although they gaurd there sauces better than a world renowned chef, i did get to see some of the ingredients. i figure i have a long road ahead of me to even get close to a realistic kretek flavor as i really don't enjoy the idea of mixing 100+ flavors just to get something mildly passeable as a true kretek flavor.

interesting ingredients that i will not be using but that are used in some kreteks:
cheese
ground mustard seed
cardamon (sp?)
cumin

LifeLongJoyRide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2009
Austin TX
Menolly beat me to it. :) If you're looking for somewhere local, that's about the only place in Austin that I've found that has more than the "standard" lorann flavors. Walmart and Hobby Lobby both seem like they have a handful of basic flavors (strawberry, english toffee, cherry, ect).

I'm actually more into Bickfords flavors too. I haven't found those in a store yet though. They are pretty quick about sending them if you order online.

Nicfits

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Texas
www.e-smokers-forum.com
Well, on the Lorannoils website these super strength candy flavorings are all called "candy oils" I think they just use this term instead of extract.
Just look at the item details and see if it says soluable in water, If it is, you should be good to go.
As for the food coloring. It will tell you this too, though I am not sure this really is an issue healthwise. I recently bought some vanilla e-juice from Puresmoker and it definately has coloring in it. It is as red as can be. I have been vaping chocolate Lorannoils flavoring and though it has coloring, it does not stain my teethe, I can blow the vapor through a white cloth and it stays white. I think the only thing here is the coloring may build up in your atomizer. I have never read any factual data on this but would be very interested in finding out for sure, one way or the other. I did read one post from someone who seemed very knowledgable in this field. And he stated that the colorings have a much higher burning, boiling point or however he stated it, so I got the impression that it would just simply remain in your atomizer. When my attys performance starts to drop, I just give them a good cleaning and back to work they go. I am on three weeks on colored flavoring and no problems with atty yet.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks everyone for the fantastic feedback, I really appreciate it... I ran by Walmart today and indeed found only a few basic flavors, but a couple were on the purportedly safe list, and interested me - butter rum, and cinnamon! Okay, not sure about that one, but who knows?

Menolly & LifeLongJoyRide, appreciate the All In One confirmation, I'd come across this Sunday but they also were closed.

I've seen a few members mention Bickford, may try to find some online if I have success with the couple of Loranns I found today.

Okay, one last question, and I promise I'll take it to the Tips and Tricks forum... :) I searched and couldn't find the answer, is there any reason I couldn't just add some flavoring to pre-made juice as a start? There's much talk about recipes and adding alcohol, PG, VG, water, etc.... I know I don't want to add too much flavoring, but do I need to add everything else too?

Thanks!

trintek

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
no reason at all, right now i have 36mg clove from electro-nic-stix cut 50/50 with pg, plus a few drops of bickford apple cherry... tastes great, vapes well, 7.99 for the 10ml of clove, a few cents for another 10ml of pg, 3 drops out of a 1 oz apple cherry so... erm, maybe 10 cents... total of maybe 8.20 for 20ml of really decent vaping

if you buy a flavor and hate it, resell it via the trade/sell portion of the forum, or... make it taste better ;) my main issue with the clove eliquids i have found is, well, they taste like clove... i know, makes no sense, but.. if you have tasted clove oil, and smoked a good kretek, world of difference.

cwood76

Apr 4, 2009
Houston, TX
I really want to know how they make clove without the oil. I cannot find clove flavoring without it, and have tried to make a home version with loranns and it failed. to the tune of much too strong and tried to eat the atomizer. I'm wrapping my brain around the clove idea, and I'm thinking in tiny doses the oil may work, but I've already decided if I do this for my hubby I'm going to dedicate one atomizer and one only to the project. Personally can't stand the stuff but he commissioned me to make it.
trintek: hubby wants you to know if you do get in the biz with the nic liquid, you have a loyal houston customer. we'll drive to pick it up if need be.:D

trintek

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
heh thanks much. the clove without the oil is made via distilling, oil has a higher vape point, so you basically simmer water that has a load of clove in it, condense the water vapor to a second cooled container. you may get a small amount of oil, but if you let it sit for a few days, you can skim or absorb the oil off of it and have a decent water based essence.

i have gone so far as to hook up a small vacuum (the usb microvacs for keyboards) to a waterpipe, and let it run 10 cloves through minimal water, then distilled it. not bad, but tasted charred, so right out. the clove from bickfords is a good start, it has the base flavor and doesn't taste like the oil (ie mouth numbing ****e). here is a good start to the clove, it is a recipe i used but decided against, it tastes like a mix of djarum special and sukun orange.

base:
15ml unflavored e-liquid

flavour:
2 drops bickford clove
1 drop bickford orange
1 drop bickford burnt sugar
10 drops ruyan4# or riskee yuice

i am still working on a better one but this is a decent start to get more of a true kretek flavor. have been sidetracked as someone is paying me to develop a creamy chai flavor

sidenote: when i start the main biz, am going to be doing priority shipping at cost, the small flat rate boxes (big enough for loads of liquid, or a kit and some liquid) are 4.95, already have 50 of them on order

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread