Looking to get a new Mechanical Mod - RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dripaholic

Oct 11, 2013
South Florida
Hello everyone!

So I have been using my Kamry K100 and Igo-W for a while now and started to get the hang of things.
I knew when I was getting into this that low budget Chinese mods and rda's isn't where I wanted to stop.
I am looking for opinions on what are some of your favorite Mechanical mods and rda's
Any and all input is welcome as well as any links to highly reviewed websites to purchase any mod or rda
I can say that some mods that have caught my eye are the new Brass Monkee, Titan, and the Sentinel
The RDA's the have caught my eye are the Brass Monkee, Helios, and the Trident
Like I said all feedback is welcome :)
Thanks for posting

I'm in a similar position. I have a k100, hcigar nemesis, igo w, and rsst. After trying dripping and a genesis style atty I decided I was to upgrade and get a nice genuine dripper. I would love if you fine folks could tell me about all the great rda options out there! I'm not too good at finding the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I'm in a similar position. I have a k100, hcigar nemesis, igo w, and rsst. After trying dripping and a genesis style atty I decided I was to upgrade and get a nice genuine dripper. I would love if you fine folks could tell me about all the great rda options out there! I'm not too good at finding the good stuff.
For a beginner... keep it simple and get a Nimbus or Trident clone for around $10-$15. If you decide it's the greatest thing ever, then you can start hunting for something more upscale.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    To try out RDAs before spending money on a nice one, IMHO, there is nothing better than the Igo-L and Igo-W.

Specifically, the IGO L, because the air hole doesnt really need to be drilled out(though it certainly can be, and plenty do), and it is such a CINCH to build. There is no post holes, which I thought would make it tricky, but honestly, its so easy. I just raise both screws, and slide each leg of the coil between the two screw posts. The legs will naturally want to fall and catch right under the screw.

It honestly takes me longer to make the actual coil than it does to secure it to deck. And then another plus, is the ample room to coil up silica on the deck, as well as the slight bowl shape to help keep liquid where it belongs.

The Igo-W is really easy as far as dual coil builds go, but I personally feel its almost unusable without making the air holes bigger. Its fine if you build 1.5ohm coils and higher, but anything below isn't going to provide enough airflow. forget subohm. Whereas on the IGo-L, I consistently build .7-.8ohm coils on the stock air hole no problem. .7-.8ohm when I want it on my mech, 1.1-1.2ohm when I want it on my Provari.

Once you want to graduate past those RDAs, I would suggest something with adjustable airflow so you could avoid the need to drill the hole, as well as the ability to really tailor the air flow to the coil setup. And remember, just because the RDA can handle dual and quad coil setups, doesnt mean you cant build a single coil. The Immortalizer and the Omega jump to mind right away when thinking of nice RDAs. Of course the Nimbus as well.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 14, 2013
    Lafayette, IN, USA
    For a beginner... keep it simple and get a Nimbus or Trident clone for around $10-$15. If you decide it's the greatest thing ever, then you can start hunting for something more upscale.

Is there a difference between a $16 Trident Clone, and a $90 Trident? If so, is the difference worth $75?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 17, 2013
    Seattle
    Is there a difference between a $16 Trident Clone, and a $90 Trident? If so, is the difference worth $75?
    Apparently... go to vapor wall or HEM and ask them what the difference is.
    rolleyes2.gif

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    As Juan says, your iGo-w is a good RDA, you just need to drill out the holes to about 1.5mm, and it will give you good air flow on a .7-.9 ohms build.
    If you want to upgrade, try a Patriot RDA, it is similar to a iGo-W, but a little larger, so easier to build.

You k100 is actually a pretty good Mech. Keep the contacts clean and yours threads lightly coated with Noalox and you are good to go.

Your build is always going to be more important than the Mech you put it on. All a mech is for is looks. Some have less Voltage Drop than others, but unless you get to less than .5 ohms, you will not notice it.

Greg W.

I was talking to a fellow vaper earlier today. It would be so helpful if there was a comprehensive list of equipment. If there was a list of rdas, a list of mechanical mods, a list of rbas that was updated and maintained by the community. That way we can review and compare as informed consumers. I do research but I just saw the castle RDA for the first time yesterday. The search and hut and peck is hard. I worry I will make a big purchase and not know there was a better option available. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

cloudsUnderway

Verified Member
    Oct 17, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    My issue with the clones is that you're getting a product that was made to look like the actual, and not made with the same attentiveness and parts. There are cheaper RDA's, RBA's, and Genesis atty's out there. Start with those and then move up to something like the Nimbus. If you want something more pristine, and you feel comfortable with it, go for it. On the end of high end mods, look for something with a low voltage drop, good contacts, and a good build quality. If you want a high quality variable volt/watt, there is always the Provari. There are too many options to list, that's why there are so many posts on the forum. If you want to check out video reviews, check out McVapes on youtube. He gives great unbiased reviews.

Last edited:

OB1J3D1

ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2010
    Earth
    Hello everyone!

So I have been using my Kamry K100 and Igo-W for a while now and started to get the hang of things.
    I knew when I was getting into this that low budget Chinese mods and RDA's isn't where I wanted to stop.
    I am looking for opinions on what are some of your favorite Mechanical mods and RDA's
    Any and all input is welcome as well as any links to highly reviewed websites to purchase any mod or RDA
    I can say that some mods that have caught my eye are the new Brass Monkee, Titan, and the Sentinel
    The RDA's the have caught my eye are the Brass Monkee, Helios, and the Trident
    Like I said all feedback is welcome :)
    Thanks for posting

I personally like the nemesis clone and the nimbus or patriot RDA.

Randy49ers

Moved On
    Jul 28, 2013
    Honolulu,HI
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Randy49ers

Moved On
    Jul 28, 2013
    Honolulu,HI
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Keeno

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I was talking to a fellow vaper earlier today. It would be so helpful if there was a comprehensive list of equipment. If there was a list of rdas, a list of mechanical mods, a list of rbas that was updated and maintained by the community. That way we can review and compare as informed consumers. I do research but I just saw the castle RDA for the first time yesterday. The search and hut and peck is hard. I worry I will make a big purchase and not know there was a better option available. Thanks for reading!

My Castle just arrived and must say it has a nice construction though the top cap could use a fatter o-ring to hold it in place more securely though easily rectified by sourcing a fatter oring. Definitely a "power" vapers RDA IMO.....can be used with single or dual coil setup but IDEALLY suited for a dual coil setup IMO. Not designed to run in single air hole configuration as it has two though has adjustable draw....1.5mm, 2.0mm and 2.5mm. With a single micro coil setup and using the 1.5mm airholes I still find the draw a bit too airy for my taste but that is just a preference. Only my second RDA with the first being a Hornet. The Castle being a 22mm holds holds at least 20 drops that being my brief experience and probably more so while not being a RBA one can still get quite a bit of juice in it limiting ones drip time.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 4, 2012
    Somewhere out there
    www.youtube.com
    ada5y5yd.jpg

This is how I would (and do) roll. REO grand with REO RM2 Rebuildable atomizer.

It's dripping - only better :). Juice is stored in an onboard 6 ml bottle and you just press it to deliver a no mess perfect dose to the coil / wick thru the bottom of the atty. Think fresh squeezed juice on demand in a pocket friendly, extremely durable compact mech.

Here's a little vid to show ya the basics:

http://youtu.be/WaDqS2kPLo0

Here's a typical atty build:
    epubasy9.jpg

And here's a link tithe REO forum here in ECF where there are the friendliest most helpful people you'll meet just waiting to share their setup / assistance if ya want it :)
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/

I started using them a year ago and haven't even considered another setup since then. But I have bought more REOs. ;)
    7uta9ygy.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread