Looking for good MTL backup tank/device, drop-in atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visivicous

Mar 23, 2009
First, a little backstory. (If this wall of text is too much, skip to the bottom)

I am currently using an Aspire Plato loaded with a Triton Mini 1.8 Ohm clapton coil running at 16 watts. This is my all day device, and I have found it to be very reliable/dependable.

I go through about 3-6 ml of liquid each day. I use a candy cane/sweet peppermint flavor, at a 50/50 blend. The liquid is clear, and does not tend to 'gum up' coils/wicks.

I currently have two backup devices, a Joyetech evic AIO, and a Joyetech eGo AIO (they both use the Cubis coils).

Recently, I have had to use both of my backup devices, and have found them both to be horribly unreliable, due to bad atomizers. For the eGo AIO, I was using the 0.6 ohm MTL coil, and for the evic AIO I was using the 1.5 ohm clapton. These atomizers are unreliable, lasting between 2 hours and 3 days before they give nothing but burnt hits. My last experience was going well with the eGo AIO for a couple of hours. Then, after the device sat (standing up) for around an hour, the first hit off it was nothing but burning cotton, even though it was still full of juice.

For comparison, the Triton Mini claptons last between 3 and 6 weeks before they start to go bad, and have always given fair warning when a change is needed (the flavor starts to change). I have NEVER received a burnt hit from one of these, even when the tank in my Plato was basically empty.

Other devices that I have but do not use are the Kanger subbox mini, a Joyetech Cuboid 150W, and a Tesla Stealth 70W. Clearomizers that I have that I do not use include the Kanger subtank mini, Kanger Protank 4, Joyetech Cubis, Triton Mini, and Beyond Vape Silo tank.

The Triton Mini and the Silo both use the same atomizer as my Plato, but both have problems to the point that I cannot rely on them as backup devices. The Triton Mini has small ports that get covered while filling the tank (to prevent flooding) that trap air bubbles even when fully open, thus blocking juice flow. The Silo worked great for a while, but then started to leak like a sieve and I could not figure out what was wrong with it. I've ordered some of the newer Kanger SSOCC coils to try with my subtank mini, but my hopes are not high. The last premade Kanger coils I used with this tank were the cube shaped ones, and those things struggled to feed 65PG/35VG, resulting in random dry hits. Aslo, after using clapton coils for MTL I'd rather not go back to regular micro-coils! (If you like MTL and have something compatible with Nautilus coils but have not tried the Triton Mini 1.8 ohm claptons in it, you are missing out)

TL;DR
I am looking for a good MTL device or tank to use as a backup to my main, utilizing reliable premade/drop-in coils, comparable in experience to an Aspire Plato using Triton Mini 1.8 ohm clapton coils @ 16Watts. Preference is for a compact all-in-one device, such as the eGo AIO - or - a good clearomizer/tank that I can use with my Tesla Stealth. (I really prefer compact setups with a protected or recessed tank).

Thanks for any advice!

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
First, a little backstory. (If this wall of text is too much, skip to the bottom)

I am currently using an Aspire Plato loaded with a Triton Mini 1.8 Ohm clapton coil running at 16 watts. This is my all day device, and I have found it to be very reliable/dependable.

I go through about 3-6 ml of liquid each day. I use a candy cane/sweet peppermint flavor, at a 50/50 blend. The liquid is clear, and does not tend to 'gum up' coils/wicks.

I currently have two backup devices, a Joyetech evic AIO, and a Joyetech eGo AIO (they both use the Cubis coils).

Recently, I have had to use both of my backup devices, and have found them both to be horribly unreliable, due to bad atomizers. For the eGo AIO, I was using the 0.6 ohm MTL coil, and for the evic AIO I was using the 1.5 ohm clapton. These atomizers are unreliable, lasting between 2 hours and 3 days before they give nothing but burnt hits. My last experience was going well with the eGo AIO for a couple of hours. Then, after the device sat (standing up) for around an hour, the first hit off it was nothing but burning cotton, even though it was still full of juice.

For comparison, the Triton Mini claptons last between 3 and 6 weeks before they start to go bad, and have always given fair warning when a change is needed (the flavor starts to change). I have NEVER received a burnt hit from one of these, even when the tank in my Plato was basically empty.

Other devices that I have but do not use are the Kanger subbox mini, a Joyetech Cuboid 150W, and a Tesla Stealth 70W. Clearomizers that I have that I do not use include the Kanger subtank mini, Kanger Protank 4, Joyetech Cubis, Triton Mini, and Beyond Vape Silo tank.

The Triton Mini and the Silo both use the same atomizer as my Plato, but both have problems to the point that I cannot rely on them as backup devices. The Triton Mini has small ports that get covered while filling the tank (to prevent flooding) that trap air bubbles even when fully open, thus blocking juice flow. The Silo worked great for a while, but then started to leak like a sieve and I could not figure out what was wrong with it. I've ordered some of the newer Kanger SSOCC coils to try with my subtank mini, but my hopes are not high. The last premade Kanger coils I used with this tank were the cube shaped ones, and those things struggled to feed 65PG/35VG, resulting in random dry hits. Aslo, after using clapton coils for MTL I'd rather not go back to regular micro-coils! (If you like MTL and have something compatible with Nautilus coils but have not tried the Triton Mini 1.8 ohm claptons in it, you are missing out)

TL;DR
I am looking for a good MTL device or tank to use as a backup to my main, utilizing reliable premade/drop-in coils, comparable in experience to an Aspire Plato using Triton Mini 1.8 ohm clapton coils @ 16Watts. Preference is for a compact all-in-one device, such as the eGo AIO - or - a good clearomizer/tank that I can use with my Tesla Stealth. (I really prefer compact setups with a protected or recessed tank).

Thanks for any advice!
I'd reccomend rebuilding.... you can't beat a self made coil...

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I would suggest you look into the Ego One tank series. Has a full range of coils available from MTL to Wide open sub ohm DTL with TC. Very effective airflow control across the entire range. A ton of different size and color options. Also has the CLR rebuildable coil available in both MTL and DTL versions should you decide to explore in the future.

eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread