listing side by side mods

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I'm just against vaping anything that's connected to a power source. Silly, I know, since the battery itself is a literal bomb,

You know one of the safest lithiums out there are those Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) cells. Overcharge them or toss them in a fire and odds are they still won't explode. And the bonus is they can be recharged thousands of times. Plus they sport a 15 year shelf life. And a 18650 Lithium Iron Phosphate cell can deliver 50-60A. The cons are the capacity is about half and the voltage is about 0.6v lower than our typical vape cells. Although the DNA200, 250, and 250C can be configured to use and charge them. Now since the capacity is about half of our typical 18650 cells, a dual SbS would be very useful if powered by Lithium Iron Phosphate cells.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I was going to show a pic of Nick's Box when he worked at Evolv. Unfortunately I can't find it. It was another example of a batteryless vape.

Found it!

Nick Box.jpg

Who needs batteries and a charger when you have one of these?

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I forgot about Nick's emergency fire power kill switch was in that picture too. Sorry! I didn't see that in the thumbnail.

But it looks like four more people can plug in too.

So what would a U shaped SbS be called? Dual batteries on one end, atty in the middle, and a board tower at the other end. A tri-SbS or maybe a SxSxS?

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Actually @BillW50 and I are brothers from another mother. Even numbers on sure things ;)

TOTALLY with you guys. The large majority of my mods are twosies. If I really like something, I want two of them.

Sometimes more. :blush: :blink::ohmy:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Funny... Similar threads at the bottom of this very page asks the very same question.
Side By Side dual 18650 MOD

I have to admit, I'm attracted to strange and unusual vapes. Thus why I bought things like the Railbox and the Moonraker E8 (this one is a SXK clone). These two are examples of not being very practical SbS mods. But they are strange and unusual. And if I found a dual 18650 SbS mod, I'd highly consider getting one, or two, or...
I went for weird atties rather than weird mods. You’d love my 30ml aromamizer plus then. Thing looks like a light saber. Apparently there was a twin over/under 26650 mech that some guy put one of this on and a light in to imitate one.. I got two rather odd attys. One is a squonk tank (so much why) that actually works. And another is a Russian built tank called I think a bellus or something that was so roundly hated by apparently everyone but me, that it’s pretty rare. It wicks upside down. Was an incredible PITA to do right. Gave an rta sized vape out of an rta sized tank though

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
I'm waiting for a 38120 SbS mod. :lol: :lol:

View attachment 1009795

j/k ppl :greengrin:
Gonna have to charge that battery suuuperfast to keep it down to two batteries bought. The problem with big batteries is they just have two ends so they charge at the same rate as an 18650, so they wind up taking forever. Could do a squonk SbS easy with that though. It’s so long..

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Not a true comment.
Ok. How so i mean it’s a pretty rough estimate on how it seems to behave, and it’s less volume than a 26650 that was supposed to be 2 18650s (but was one battery so it was like 2 18650s that charged half as fast. I’m not real surprised it kinda died for vapes)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I agree with you @bombastinator2. My battery chargers displays how much mA goes into each cell. And often my 21700 cells holds twice the capacity of my 18650 cells. Vaping is the very same, 21700 last twice as long as my 18650 cells.

I still have nine mods that can use 26650 cells. I use some of them still today and the capacity between the 26650 and the 21700 are darn near the same. It varies from manufacture to manufacture of course. I really like those 26650 mods. Very comfortable in the hands too. And I too seen the decline of 26650 mods when the 21700 started to gain popularity.

Now it might be just me, but it seems like 21700 mods nowadays are starting to fade away. All this is doing is leaving small 18650 mods. And governments are going to use this to claim them as kid magnets and then ban everything we have left. And then it will be too late to bring back 26650 and 21700 mods. :(

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
I agree with you @bombastinator2. My battery chargers displays how much mA goes into each cell. And often my 21700 cells holds twice the capacity of my 18650 cells. Vaping is the very same, 21700 last twice as long as my 18650 cells.

I still have nine mods that can use 26650 cells. I use some of them still today and the capacity between the 26650 and the 21700 are darn near the same. It varies from manufacture to manufacture of course. I really like those 26650 mods. Very comfortable in the hands too. And I too seen the decline of 26650 mods when the 21700 started to gain popularity.

Now it might be just me, but it seems like 21700 mods nowadays are starting to fade away. All this is doing is leaving small 18650 mods. And governments are going to use this to claim them as kid magnets and then ban everything we have left. And then it will be too late to bring back 26650 and 21700 mods. :(
It will be effectively impossible to ban them. Vapes aren’t even the main market. Powertools are. They’d have to ban power tools too. Suspect what will kill the market is not government intervention, but technology evolution. Different battery types produce different wattages and have different energy densities. Vapes are made usually to take 4.2 to 2.5-3w (batteries are a bit like balloons) the 3.7 always has a ~ in front of it to reflect this. Meanwhile NiMh is in more or less the nickel cadmium lineage rather than the lithium ion lineage. It was close enough though so they got used in vapes too. Meanwhile 18650. 21700, and 26650 defines the form factor not the nominal voltage. This is why Tesla batteries don’t work. Their nominal voltage is too low. As long as a battery gets made in a given form factor, or that can be adapted to that form factor. And has an output more-or-less in the ballpark, it will work. Batteries I’m not worried about. Even if some future batter has a lower output, as long as it’s not too far under 2 volt and they make a 350 you just use two of them. Things will go for a while I think. There are other bits of the chain that are more fragile.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DPLongo22

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Found it!

View attachment 1010019

Who needs batteries and a charger when you have one of these?
Why the heck are there a bunch of .45 rounds scattered about?! Those things are expensive. (They might be 9mm parabellum or 10mm. Those are expensive too though. they look short and fat to me). There are just so very few use cases that pistols or submachine guns make sense for. Is this a photo that states “this is pointless”?

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
It will be effectively impossible to ban them. Vapes aren’t even the main market. Powertools are. They’d have to ban power tools too.

Sorry... I was inferring tiny mods are the ones that will be slammed for marketing towards kids. And this trend of midsize and monster size mods are being phased out, Tiny mods will be the only ones left. And then it would be easy for them to ban them all.

Suspect what will kill the market is not government intervention, but technology evolution. Different battery types produce different wattages and have different energy densities. Vapes are made usually to take 4.2 to 2.5-3w (batteries are a bit like balloons) the 3.7 always has a ~ in front of it to reflect this. Meanwhile NiMh is in more or less the nickel cadmium lineage rather than the lithium ion lineage. It was close enough though so they got used in vapes too. Meanwhile 18650. 21700, and 26650 defines the form factor not the nominal voltage. This is why Tesla batteries don’t work. Their nominal voltage is too low. As long as a battery gets made in a given form factor, or that can be adapted to that form factor. And has an output more-or-less in the ballpark, it will work. Batteries I’m not worried about. Even if some future batter has a lower output, as long as it’s not too far under 2 volt and they make a 350 you just use two of them. Things will go for a while I think. There are other bits of the chain that are more fragile.

2.5-3w? I've used NiCD and NiMH for many decades for many projects. And you might be able to get 10w from a D cell. But that 8 year lifespan now drops down to only a few months. Not very productive for vaping.

And I'm not worried about another battery type coming along with different operating voltages. The DNA200, 250, and 250C are already setup to adapt to most anything through the battery profile. That is why it is easy to adapt one for using Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) cells. Other mods, it is likely a firmware update that should be all. Some others will be hardware set and you're stuck there.

Why the heck are there a bunch of .45 rounds scattered about?! Those things are expensive. (They might be 9mm parabellum or 10mm. Those are expensive too though. they look short and fat to me). There are just so very few use cases that pistols or submachine guns make sense for. Is this a photo that states “this is pointless”?

Whoa! I'm no weapons expert and sure I have talked to Nick on the phone a few times. But I swear I have no idea why the ammo is laying on the workbench. Or why that pistol is doing there. I had nothing to do with it. I swear!

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
What I’m saying is that it wouldn’t, because the batteries are not really vape batteries to begin with. It literally can’t happen that way. Might happen another way, but not that specific one.

Yes I know. I'm just saying it is tiny mods is going to be the death of us all. And the poor 18650 cell only is caught in the cross fire because they are most often used with tiny mods. And 18650 cells won't be banned, but kid friendly tiny mods will.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Not a true comment.
Someone below (above?) said they are double, which would be the same volume as a 26650. This may be the case. They don’t seem to last as long though and they charge more quickly so it seems like something less than that to me. Could be it’s just a better chemistry because they are newer. My experience is that when battery swapping I need to use 3 26650s or two 21700s because they charge faster. 3 26650s because generally a 26650 isn’t fully charged by the time I empty the previous one so I need a third in the rotation. This does very occasionally happen with 21700s but not very often. On those rare instances I throw an 18650 into an adaptor. With 26650s it happened basically every time though.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
It all depends on the brand and model of the batteries @bombastinator2. You can buy 3000mAh 18650 and 26650 cells which has the same capacity. You can buy 3000mAh 21700 cells too, now that I think about it. And these 3 examples, they would last the same in a mod. The amp rating would probably be different though.

But what I am using are 2500mAh 18650, 4000mAh 26650 and 4000mAh 21700 cells. Probably typical of most vapers. And since my single 18650 cells are old and tired, they are exactly half of my 26650 and 21700 cells. So that is where my numbers come from.

Tor R

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    It will be effectively impossible to ban them. Vapes aren’t even the main market. Powertools are. They’d have to ban power tools too. Suspect what will kill the market is not government intervention, but technology evolution. Different battery types produce different wattages and have different energy densities. Vapes are made usually to take 4.2 to 2.5-3w (batteries are a bit like balloons) the 3.7 always has a ~ in front of it to reflect this. Meanwhile NiMh is in more or less the nickel cadmium lineage rather than the lithium ion lineage. It was close enough though so they got used in vapes too. Meanwhile 18650. 21700, and 26650 defines the form factor not the nominal voltage. This is why Tesla batteries don’t work. Their nominal voltage is too low. As long as a battery gets made in a given form factor, or that can be adapted to that form factor. And has an output more-or-less in the ballpark, it will work. Batteries I’m not worried about. Even if some future batter has a lower output, as long as it’s not too far under 2 volt and they make a 350 you just use two of them. Things will go for a while I think. There are other bits of the chain that are more fragile.
    A bit of a side note, unfortunately it is easy for the authorities to crack down on vaping, remember that we live in a system where they impose surveillance on the banks, remember that they can easily stop packages coming from a company that is stupid enough to have vape in the shipping info .
    In my opinion it is the smart ones who will survive, those who are stupid and want to be proud to use vape in the name will die out.

When we talk about authorities, see PG and VG taxation in Germany, it’s bizarre.

As far as I have understood it correctly, Samsung has tightened the reins on who they supply batteries to, among other things Fogstar has problems with Samsung for that reason, and stops selling Samsung.
    Fogstar as a battery supplier in Europe is quite large.

On track, there are rumors that Innokin has an sbs in the works

Users who are viewing this thread