Legacy + Kick issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
Let me start by saying I love the Legacy. Great size, finish, feel, operation. For some reason, though, I'm having an issue using it with the Kick. On a freshly charged battery, everything is butter and it hits wonderfully. After the battery discharges to about 3.7v, however, I have issues getting it to fire.

It's not the pulse notification that's built into the Kick notifying of a low battery. It just simply won't fire. Then it will, then it won't. If I activate the switch pushing directly up...nothing. If I pull it slightly to the side it will fire a few times, then back to zero. I get the same results with different batteries (AW, unbranded IMR) and with two different Kicks. I've cleaned the connections in the Legacy, the batteries and Kicks themsellves to no avail. I've disassembled the switch and reassembled it, added and removed washers and still no difference. If I pull out the Kick and battery that is having issues in the Legacy and put them into another PV I have no issues at all. It's been about two weeks and I've never gotten the combo to discharge to the point of the Kick's pulse notification. It always happens when the battery hits around the 3.7v mark. Has anyone else experienced this or possibly help shed some light on the issue? Cash, any ideas?

karmakatie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
MO
The following is deirectly from Evolve's site reagrding the low batt isse on the Kick. I routinely have seen 3.7 come out of PV after the Kick shuts off.

Low Battery Indicator: The Kick will detect, and stop functioning, when a battery charge level drops below 3.2 volts UNDER LOAD (with an atty/carto attached). This is a safety feature. The Kick will tell you this feature is activating when you experience STUTTER vape (vapor-no vapor alternating – may feel like tss-tss-tss). If you continue to vape beyond this indicator, the Kick will stop functioning until a fresh battery charge is detected. If you remove the battery and meter test it (unloaded) it may read between 3.4 and 3.6 volts. There are many variables that can contribute to the various unloaded readings.

PS. I hope this is not against any rules to post the above info. Just trying to help.

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
Mine does the same.... are you using a mini with extension? Mine eats batteries fast. Put a fresh one in before bed, few puffs, and dead when I woke up.....

No, its the standard 18650. I typically can get about 5-6 hours with the same kick and battery in another mod, but only get about three hours in the Legacy before it starts acting up.

CloveHunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
NYC
Is your other APV an electrical (switch) one? I found out Kick will only give me 'stutter vape' consistently with the electrical one, with Legacy (mechanical) it give me an on/off vape (once in a while it give me 'stutter vape' tho but in general it's been inconsistent).

Battery life is fine tho, only use AW IMR 18490 (without XL extension) and normally last 4-5 hours - note: I'm not a heavy vaper but not too light either.

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
Is your other APV an electrical (switch) one? I found out Kick will only give me 'stutter vape' consistently with the electrical one, with Legacy (mechanical) it give me an on/off vape (once in a while it give me 'stutter vape' tho but in general it's been inconsistent).

Battery life is fine tho, only use AW IMR 18490 (without XL extension) and normally last 4-5 hours - note: I'm not a heavy vaper but not too light either.

I'm having issues with the Legacy, so mechanical. The other PV I'm using has a mechanical switch as well, though there is solder work involved. Sounds like you're getting the same response. I am pretty heavy on my Legacy since I'm usually using it around the house.

CloveHunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
NYC
I'm having issues with the Legacy, so mechanical. The other PV I'm using has a mechanical switch as well, though there is solder work involved. Sounds like you're getting the same response. I am pretty heavy on my Legacy since I'm usually using it around the house.

AFAIK, mechanical APV doesn't need solder but of course I am not an APV encyclopedia - is it an APV with side switch or bottom switch?

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Antism ...

How was the KICK & Legacy at the start? Or is this the start?

If its always been underperforming, you may be looking at a dirty grounding ... Take your switch on the LEGACY apart, and fully clean it. Wipe it down real well, apply some NOALOX on the hex shaft if you have some handy, and give that a shot.

Otherwise - We really haven't seen many issues with the LEGACY & KICK yet :)

antism

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago Suburbs
I've had the issue since receiving it. Haven't tried noalox on the hex yet, though I have cleaned the entirety of the switch assembly. I'll give it a shot and report back.

EDIT: Seems to have worked! Such a simple fix. Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed I hadn't thought of that in the first place. :p Thanks Steve! Looking forward to using this to its full potential.

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Happy to hear antism :) And happy to see another fellow night owl like myself :) Just about 3am here and STILL wide awake :)

Fully mechanical mods are awesome. However, when the kick is added, its needed a stronger than average ground to work to its full potential :) Without the kick, you'd probably only need to clean or wipe down the legacy everything few months. With the addition of the KICk, I'd do it every week or so :)

I wish you continue success, and hope you have a great week!

CloveHunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
NYC
Fully mechanical mods are awesome. However, when the kick is added, its needed a stronger than average ground to work to its full potential :) Without the kick, you'd probably only need to clean or wipe down the legacy everything few months. With the addition of the KICk, I'd do it every week or so :)!

First of all, thank you for creating a great APV, Cash. It's my first fully mechanical and I love it. I owe you a review... :D

I am not trying noalox yet but I clean my Kicked Legacy every couple of days (I know, it's overboard but I just can't help it) but I never experience 'stutter vape' when the battery is about to die, not a big deal tho - I figured it out when it stop fired or give me inconsistent vape, it's time to replace the battery. It's not under-performing, I get expected 10-20% reduced battery life from a 1100 mAh.

Personally, it was not a problem but I just want to know if this is a common thing (no stutter vape) for mechanical APV.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Hi there, interesting reading. I'm considering buying a legacy with or without kick at this point. I've never had a VV device so I'm a bit on the fence here. Can you guys tell me what NOALOX is?

Also, I'm wondering about this factor: How easy is it to change the voltage on this kick component? If I get a legacy with a kick do I need that XL adapter thing?

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hi there, interesting reading. I'm considering buying a legacy with or without kick at this point. I've never had a VV device so I'm a bit on the fence here. Can you guys tell me what NOALOX is?

Also, I'm wondering about this factor: How easy is it to change the voltage on this kick component? If I get a legacy with a kick do I need that XL adapter thing?

NOALOX is this: http://www.amazon.com/Noalox®-Anti-...HHRE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337792332&sr=8-1

Its an anti oxidant compound that is great for electrical component connections (Metal on Metal, etc....)

Adjusting wattage is as simple as it gets. If you watch the video on our kick page, it explains it better :)

EVOLV KICK - Boosted Power Regulator

Lastly, no, you do not need to order the Extension Sleeve to use the KICK with a legacy. You'll just need to run an AW IMR 18490 with it instead of an AW IMR 18650/Tenergy P18650.

also, is there any reason to order the kick straight away or could i wait on that?

like is it discounted if ordered at the same time?

No need to order the kick right away jbank. You can order the LEGACY Standard alone and use it just as it is. I myself don't use a KICK, and just use the LEGACY naturally :) I'd say roughly 80-90% of LEGACY owners do NOT use a kick :)

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
ahh well that info helps thanks...now im trying to decide between legacy and icon....

I think I want something small but that will last me at least for work between 7am and 5:30 pm...would rather not have to tote an extra battery...dont know if this will work or should just go ahead w/ regular legacy

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Depends on how much you vape? How many ML's of eLiquid do you go through during the day?

While at work, can you vape all the time, or can you only go out and do it every hour or so?

If you can tell me a bit more about your vaping habits, I can certainly help out.

Lastly - You can also go with the LEGACY mini ... Battery lasts the same amount of time as the ICON, but you have the option to go bigger in the future by adding the extension if you want :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread