Latest on e-cigarette laws in the UK (and some of the EU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daikey79

Mar 3, 2015
Bristol
E-cigarettes are currently only covered by general product safety legislation but are due to be licensed and regulated as an aid to quit smoking from 2016. This effectively means they will be classed as a ‘medicine’ and therefore will face checks by the medicine regulator MHRA when the time comes. More detail on the licensing procedure is available in PDF format on the MHRA website here.
World Health Organization’s (WHO) point of view

The WHO have produced a report into e-cigarettes and have made some strong points on the subject. The report stats that there should be a ban on the use of electronic cigarettes indoors and that sales to children should stop (we don’t think it should ever have started – if it has!).

They gone on to state that there must be a stop to reports stating e-cigs can help smokers quit – until there is firm evidence to support this. Speaking personally, it’s certainly helped me and many others (but we do understand the need to be cautious because of the health uncertainties).

We don’t feel e-cigs or e-liquids should be available to the under-18s (just like tobacco products). The WHO report focuses on the risk that tempting flavours of e-liquids, and advertising might tempt children into using electronic cigs and therefore getting addicted to nicotine.
Wider opinions

Prof Dame Sally Davies, England’s chief medical officer, said “We do not yet know the harm that e-cigarettes can cause to adults, let alone to children, but we do know they are not risk free. E-cigarettes can produce toxic chemicals and the amount of nicotine and other chemical constituents and contaminants, including vaporised flavourings, varies between products – meaning they could be extremely damaging to young people’s health.”

Katherine Devlin, president of the Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association, welcomed the changes in the law, saying they had been asking for it “for years”.

“It’s high time that it was mandated in law so that it can be robustly enforced,” she added, pointing out that product labelling made it clear e-cigarettes were not for under-18s.
Ash

Anti-smoking charity Ash also welcomed the changes, but chief executive Deborah Arnott called for a retail licensing system that would mean e-cigarettes could be legally sold only in shops, not in car boot sales or markets.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I recently travelled to the UK. In my opinion it was the most vape friendly country I have been in so far. I was also in Australia a week ago and I can say the vape culture has not quite reached them yet and most of the publicity is extremely negative on it. I fully support some sort of regulation and standards to the vape industry in general. No industry left unchecked for too long is good for the end consumer. I also support the no sale to minors regulation whole heartedly.

Regulation, leading to extreme taxation is what concerns me. This just all seems like it is gearing up to be another government money grab. Just like anything else, if the government doesn't get their financial piece of it, they will do all they can to crush it.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I appreciated your post, but fear it doesn't sum up the situation correctly.

I was under the impression that the TPD 2016 doesn't actually force any e-cigarette manufacturer to apply for an MHRA license. There will be two routes to sell a product, one under the MHRA and the other following another set of criteria as outlined in the TPD.

Also, I don't think Katherine Devlin will be "welcoming" the scenario you are suggesting . The current TPD enforcement will wipe out most of the companies she represents.

I will ask if the mods can look at this thread in detail.

Mogar

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Dallas TX
I love this comment:
"We don’t feel e-cigs or e-liquids should be available to the under-18s (just like tobacco products). The WHO report focuses on the risk that tempting flavours of e-liquids, and advertising might tempt children into using electronic cigs and therefore getting addicted to nicotine.
Wider opinions"
I have responded in this way a few other times. If "tempting flavors in ecigs are targeting children to smoke" then how do they explain flavored condoms??? Is this targeting children to have sex???

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I love this comment:
"We don’t feel e-cigs or e-liquids should be available to the under-18s (just like tobacco products). The WHO report focuses on the risk that tempting flavours of e-liquids, and advertising might tempt children into using electronic cigs and therefore getting addicted to nicotine.
Wider opinions"
I have responded in this way a few other times. If "tempting flavors in ecigs are targeting children to smoke" then how do they explain flavored condoms??? Is this targeting children to have sex???

Or flavored vodka? Liqueurs? Cigars?

(And actually, flavored condoms are just encouraging children to have safe sex, since (I imagine) they taste a lot better than the real thing.)

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
There will be an OPTION to apply for a "medicine" license through the MHRA. These products might be able to make claims.... we don't know yet.

Hi, djsvapour!

I gotta say, the situation in the UK is perhaps one of the most complicated ones out there, as I see it! Unlike the EU or the US (or SG, etc) the UK actually does already regulate e-cigs under many statutes, which ought to be more-than-reasonable regulatory standards, but the tide of regulation seems to be unending.

From over here I can't for the life of me unravel what's really going on; looks like they're trying to take a system that's working well, and "fix" it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread