Status
Not open for further replies.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Well, not really today, but I've only actually had 2 attys go dead on me and both times it was after I had soaked them overnight in water, drained them the next day and then let them sit dry for a couple of weeks. I typically don't do anything to clean my attys but in both of these cases, I, for some reason, decided they probably needed cleaning, so I let them sit for awhile while I broke in a new atty. Niether one was dying by any means, but they were dead as a stone after sitting a couple weeks.
Any obvious reason for this or just coincidence?

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I think it is more likely that the soaking in water killed them than the sitting unused for two weeks.

Personal Opinion: I know that some vapers do soak their attys; I don't. These are delicate electronic devices. I don't soak my iPod or Blackberry in water (or in Everclear or hydrogen peroxide or whatever) overnight; and I don't do it with my atomizers either. [Delrin drip tips are OK to soak.]

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
...and then let them sit dry for a couple of weeks.

It's been said many times on this forum, not just me (I learned it here too ;-) but 'dry attys die'. It's why they use 'primer fluid' from the manufacturer. If you're going to clean them and then not use them, put a few drops of PG or VG or even eliquid in them on the bridge/metal mesh and put them in a ziplock bleeding the air out first.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Don's right (about the water anyway) ;). I never had much luck with water alone. If I felt I needed to use water (hot or boil out) on an atomizer, it was a only a last ditch effort to clean it from strong or bad liquid taste or burnt wicking. If the atty worked afterward, I considered myself lucky.

After the water, I always use PGA (EverClear pure Grain alcohol) to displace the water.

I only use PGA to clean my atomizers, usually a 4-6 hour soak, about once every 5-6 weeks or as needed (if ever). It evaporates so there isn't much time needed to dry if you blow them out before and after cleaning and shake the PGA out of them (like shaking a thermometer). So far, they all run great afterward. Also, as Kent has stated, you need to reprime them well right after they are cleaned/dried. Better to have to blow them out a bit from too much primer than not have enough liquid in them when repriming.

I know someone who cleaned a bunch of atomizers (exposed bridge type attys) in water and didn't dry or prime them. When he came back to them a few weeks later, he had piles of worthless rust (I saw this in person). :facepalm: BAD! The primer actually helps protect the metal inside the atomizers when storing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread