Kensington Portable Power Pack - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

let_there_be_vaping

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
Hello ltbv:

Most people just picked this up a few months back when it was on sale for $39.99 Kensington - Portable Power Pack for Select Mobile Devices - Black - K38021 I see now it is $59.99, (most likely because of the demand we created) This Kensington works very well and has great reviews here on ECF in several places. I have 2, 1 for the vaporizer, 1 for the cell phone.

If you are looking for something less expensive, here are the specifications of the Kensington to help in your search:

Battery Chemistry: Lithium-Ion Polymer
Certifications: cULus, CE,FCC
Input: 1.50A Max.
Output: 1.00A Max.
Capacity: 7 Wh (Watt-hours)
Battery Pack Dimensions: 4.0" x 2.2 x 0.37"
Battery Pack Weight: 3.5 oz

Electronics are not my strongest point. But If you find another with the exact chemistry, certifications, input, output, capacity it (should) work. I can only reccomend the Kensington here, as that is what I use.

Hey, thanks :)

Electronics aren't my strong point either. It's not that I'm stupid, I just have never felt the need to educate myself about them before now. I can be a quick study... but then again, I could be a complete dunce regarding electronics. Don't know yet, LOL.

The specs you gave me on the Kensington didn't include the volts? Yes, less expensive is good, just want to know what to be looking for in my shopping.

Thanks again!
ltbv

AGNES PEACOCK

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
The Mother Lode, California
Breakfast chef is probably your best bet for help. (Thank you bc!)

But, geese....now I drug out the manual here are the printed inside (technical) specifications:

Description: USB Battery Pack
Chemistry: Lithium-Polymer Cells (ATL 523450, 900mAH/cell = 1800mAHtotal)
Output Voltage: DC 5V (USB Compatible)
Output Current: 1000mA max.
Capacity: 6.66Wh (1800mAh/3.7V)
Charging Time: 3-4 hours (90 percent in 3 hours typical)
Cycle Life: 300 times (Discharge capacity (300th cycle) 80 percent of initial capacity)
Output Port: Standard USB
Input Port: 5-pin mini-USB
Dimensions: 101mm W x 55mm H x 9.5mm D
Materials: Plastic Chassis + Aluminum Covers

Model: K388021
Weight: 100 grams (3.5oz) Battery Pack Assembly Only
Charging Indicator (Feul Gauge): 5 Blue LEDs provide info on charge left in Battery Pack
Charging Method: Charge through USB cable from USB Source
Charging Mode: Charge through USB AC Adapter or other 5v USB Source. Constant Current/Constant Voltage depending on charge state
Works with: Most USB Compatible devices

There, now you have my now well (read) information. Tee hee

mnealtx

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
For the new comers reading this thread: be careful when you get too happy being tethered to these. I would recommend only if you are stationary and not moving around. These powerpacks are sturdy, but your passthrough batteries aren't.

I wish somone would build a passthrough with a micro-usb port rather than the flimsy usb cable.

Vapinginmyboots

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Upstate NY, USA
you're welcome Jo,

hope everyone has the same success as i've had with mine.
i didn't know BB was going to sell them either. :oops:
i'm expecting it will more than pay for itself, even at $50.
Just wanted to give my thanks for this device. Ive had it for a while, bought it after reading this thread a while ago w/passthroughs. I came across this thread again today and wanted to say yep, the Kensington power pack is everything that it is advertised here :). I been using it more as an at-home powerscource as my smoke-freeness continues into a 4th week and my reg. batteries are worryingly inconsistent as of late.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
I wish somone would build a passthrough with a micro-usb port rather than the flimsy usb cable.

Puresmoker's new USBpass sports a heavy-duty 20awg cable. The reviews thus far are stellar. Here is the link:

PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!

They haven't been able to manufacture them fast enough to keep up with the enormous demand, though, so you have to pre-order them, and then probably wait at least a couple of weeks before your USBpass is shipped.

mnealtx

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo
Puresmoker's new USBpass sports a heavy-duty 20awg cable. The reviews thus far are stellar. Here is the link:

PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!

They haven't been able to manufacture them fast enough to keep up with the enormous demand, though, so you have to pre-order them, and then probably wait at least a couple of weeks before your USBpass is shipped.

I'll have to give that a look-see...thanks for the info!!

googled

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
ukvapers.com
I've now had my Kensington for over 3 months with zero problems. It charges as quickly as day one and no degradation in charging capacity and power.

Edit: One more point. I've 'shorted' my Kensington a few time times accidentally while modding, shorting cuts the battery power and is reset by plugging the charger into it.

Last edited:

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
If your store is out, have a clerk check the computer system and check all the stores in your State. When I finally could get someone to help (grrr) they pulled up ONE store that had 8 left (not a single one to be had in any other store in the rest of Arizona). My friend's daughter lived near by, so she had her run over and picked up 4 of them (2 for me!) at only $15 each. DEAL

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
I've now had my Kensington for over 3 months with zero problems. It charges as quickly as day one and no degradation in charging capacity and power.

Edit: One more point. I've 'shorted' my Kensington a few time times accidentally while modding, shorting cuts the battery power and is reset by plugging the charger into it.

Thans for that! When I was using cheap passthroughs the Kensington would cut out until plugged in now I know why :D My Kensington is quite old, I think I had it between January and May but its still going strong even tho it goes everywhere with me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread