Kensington Portable Power Pack - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased this USB power pack and after using it this weekend, here is my review:

Kensington Portable Power Pack

First off here are a couple links if you want to have a look at the specs and get some idea of what it looks like:

Kensington - K38021US - Portable Power Pack for Mobile Devices

Amazon.com: Kensington Portable Power Pack for Mobile Devices (K38021US)

Appearance:

This thing is small. It's just about 1/4" wider and 1/2" longer than a standard business card and about 3/8" thick.
The best thing about the appearance is the glossy black finish. Very classy looking.
There's no on/off switch. Just one button on the front to display the battery charge level.
When pressed, there are 5 blue LED's alongside the button that will light to display the current charge level for about 5 seconds. The button is rounded and almost flush to the case so it doesn't snag or get in the way. It looks and feels sturdy and well made. Both connectors are top notch and are snugly recessed on the top of the case. There is a small gray "Kensington" logo printed on the case but it's subtle.

Battery:

Lithium - Polymer Cell. No memory effect. Top off as you please. UL listed with a recycle number on the back of the case.
Output: 5 volt (USB) 1.5 A max.

Charging:

The power pack comes with a mini to standard USB cable for standard wall socket charging with the included USB wall adapter. You can also charge it via a computer USB port.
I charged it overnight, which is not recommended by the manual. It says not to leave it on a prolonged charge when not in use.
A 3-4 hour charge should be sufficient. A 90% charge is typical after 3 hours. As it charges, the level is indicated by the flashing blue LED's until all 5 stay on solid. I also completely drained it the first time which is not recommended either. I will also add that I noticed no drop in performance throughout the entire time I used it until it was drained. It just stopped working. The recharge took just 3 hours. It is also recommended not to store the device fully charged or discharged. A 40% charge state is recommended for storing which is indicated by 2 out of 5 LED's being lit.

Performance:

I love this thing. I started using it at 6 a.m. Friday morning with my standard penstyle and it didn't need a recharge until Sunday, just after noon. I typically use a little over 2 ml per day of liquid but used quite a bit more while testing the power pack, probably closer to 3ml. I periodically checked the state of charge by pushing the button and all 5 LED's would light until Saturday evening when only 4 turned on. This would indicate I only used about 20%. However, once it started to show a discharge, it didn't take as long to decline even further. As I said, there was no noticeable drop in performance at all during any state of discharge. There is also no sleep or hibernate state to wake it up from, which I find to be a plus. It's always there when you need it. It provided consistent reliable power each and every time

The Kensington Power Pack MSRP is $59.99.
Amazon has them for $46.32. You can probably find them even cheaper if you look around. I bought mine direct from Kensington and it arrived in 2 days. I ordered a second one which should be here today. (gotta have one for my 901)

I can easily see one of you modders out there slipping this into a nice plastic case and making your own Janty stick. I might even try it myself, but it's so nice looking I'd hate to hide it.

NOTE:
If you are new to the whole vaping scene and are wondering about power packs and passthrough combinations, please take the time to look around. Ask questions and search for what you want. There are a lot of USB "chargers" out there with circuitry, ratings and uses that just don't work with our devices. The same goes for USB wall socket adapters. If money is an issue, you can easily find affordable, adaptable USB devices that work for under $10. Chances are someone (like me) has already thrown their money away on something that doesn't work.
Don't do that!

So that's it for my first review folks.
I just want to add my sincerest thanks to all those here who have helped me. You guys are awesome.

Last edited:

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Thank you Candy Girl. I ordered mine from TigerDirect and it hasn't got here yet. :( But I'm glad to know it works so well. Can't wait to use it. Just wish I'd done some homework and went to Best Buy. Would've already had it! I paid $50+ online.

you're welcome Jo,

hope everyone has the same success as i've had with mine.
i didn't know BB was going to sell them either. :oops:
i'm expecting it will more than pay for itself, even at $50.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Great device. I just charged mine up and am using it now. If this lasts as long as reported, I will be a happy camper. On sale at BestBuy for $39.99 plus tax. Can't beat that price!

Edit: This is a great device! Anyone with a pass-through who is away from a USB port really needs to consider purchasing this unit. Very slick, very portable and tons of power. The special $39.99 at BestBuy is a super deal. Go for it!

Last edited:

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
I went to Best Buy after reading all these posts because I needed to get one for my sis who is going to start esmoking and I didn't want to wait for the one I had ordered from TigerDirect. Plus I figured I'd use it since she's a truckdriver and not home yet, grin. I checked BB online and they showed it for $53.99. When I went to the store they had them but when I got to the checkout they charged me $59.99. Well I corrected them on that and they fixed it. So I didn't get it for the $39.99 but I didn't have to pay shipping.

I got home and tried it out. It only took the 3 hours to charge like Candy said. This is THE BOMB!!! This thing is so cool! It's small and very slim. I'm still on the same charge and I got it 2 days ago. I keep mine in a small makeup bag to keep it clean and safe. Anyone who uses a passthru should get one of these. Highly recommended!

ChainSmkr

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2009
USA
Great review! When the USB passthrough is made for my model e-cig, I'd love to purchase this power pack.

I went ahead and ordered the USB passthrough battery for my micro since the one for the Pilot Hybrid is going to take some time to make. I've been using it with the Kensington Power Pack (purchased on sale at Best Buy for $40 with free s/h plus 2-yr warranty!) and that little thing is amazing!! I charged the power pack up in no time at all. It easily lasts all day, no fussing with recharging batteries or carrying spare batts/chargers. It's also compact and portable - that thing goes with me anywhere and everywhere. It sits next to me while I drive, on my desk at work/home, in my purse when I'm out etc. Being wired doesn't bother me a bit but I do have the excess cord tied up in a nice bundle in the middle.

With this gadget around, there's no need for mods because it provides all the power you'll ever need. I have no worries about computer compatibility or anything frying because I only use the passthrough with the power pack, not my computer. This thing is a must have!!!!

I think recharging batts and topping off carts are the 2 biggest hassles of vaping. The power pack has eliminated 50% of the hassle. I don't think I've mastered stuffing/refilling carts yet but still having a batch of them to load up during the day eliminates the other 50%.

Now if someone can mod the cart juice-to-steel wick delivery system, I'll be in e-cig heaven. I'm convinced there's a way to do this without the need for stuffing in the cart. Think misting techniques where biting or pinching a pliable cart (or pushing a button) sprays a mist onto the wick - kind of like how a nose spray bottle works. It'll never leak because it needs pressure to push the liquid out. I know, I'm a dreamer. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread