Kayfun vs Aerotank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a Kayfun lite clone from fasttech. Thanks to a lot to good info here and some excellent youtube videos, I was able to coil, wick (cotton) and vape it within 30 minutes. I have never seen the "real" kayfun, but the fasttech clone seems to be of decent quality. It was actually pretty clean out of the box, though I still washed it. The coil is 2.2 ohm, 9 wrap 30 gauge kanthal on a 5/64 drill bit. I think I could have used a tiny bit more cotton.

I also have a aerotank and I have seen videos on micro coil builds for it. The process seems pretty similar to kayfun.

Now, the question is...

I have seen a lot of posts about leaking Kayfuns (original and clones). Mine also leaks from the airhole, at the base and also right at the bottom where the base joins the glass tank. Now, since this is my first build (though I did pay thorough attention to filling, maintaining vacuum, etc etc)..it could just be my mistake or may be it is to be expected from a FT clone. But it seems a lot of other folks(some who have built it at least a few times) also have leaking issue.

The aerotank on the other hand (though I have not rebuilt it yet), has not leaked on me.

Why would anyone want a $100+ Kayfun or a clone, when one can build a cheaper but not leaky (and equally well performing... at least for me) aerotank type tank? Does the aerotank leak too, unless one is using the factory manufactured coils?

Thanks

Last edited:

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I have two different Kayfun Lite + clones, one clear, one black (all black color, not the black edition), and neither one leaks!

Not sure if I'm just lucky, but I don't think most Kayfun clones leak....

Do you mind if I ask how long your Kayfun took to arrive from Fasttech? I ordered something from them, and I'm in So. Cal, so I'd think it should take about the same amount of time.

Good luck!

Why would anyone want a $100+ Kayfun or a clone, when one can build a cheaper but not leaky (and equally well performing... at least for me) aerotank type tank? Does the aerotank leak too, unless one is using the factory manufactured coils?

The underlined portion is important if you ask me. Use what gives you the satisfying vape you desire. For some people it's a starter kit to kick cigs, for others it's subohming a dripper on a mechanical to chase flavor and/or clouds. In the end, all these devices do is heat liquid. Buy and do what makes you happy.

I picked up an authentic kfl+ because it satisfies my on the go vaping desires. Any leaks that I've experienced have been the result of something I did incorrectly (mostly wicking errors in my case).

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Is it the juice supposed to pour out of the tip if the device is upside down but fully put together?

No it's not, sounds like it isn't sealed properly. There's an o-ring that fits inside the top cap, when you screw the cap the top of the chimney fits inside that o-ring and seals it, check to see if that's in place. If it is in place your loosing seal somewhere else.

wrath186

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Scranton, PA
Maybe this is just me, but I had mad leaking out the airhole when filling my Kayfun.

If you fill from the top you need to cover the airhole, fill your tank, start to thread on the top cap and then turn the whole thing upside down to and finish screwing on the top cap to secure the vacuum. Or you can fill from the bottom. I like filling from the top so it isn't a big deal for me.

If you have leaks from anywhere else it's probably an o ring problem. When I first got my Kayfun, I rinsed everything, but was having a problem getting everything to fit back together smoothly. The threading was a bit stiff. So I took the tiniest bit and I mean tiny bit of silicone to smooth over the threads and o rings. Now if fits together like silk.

Anyway, hope this helps.

ingerri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
NW Indiana
"To add, I know I'm going to sound like an elitist douche, but I have both. My aero tank with stock coils leaks and gurgles freaking relentlessly. A 20$ aero tank is not much cheaper than a 30-35 dollar kayfun clone. And the kayfun is so so soooo much better in every way"

Where do I find a good clone for 30-35?

Thanks

I just ordered a kayfun lite plus clone from angelcigs, $24bucks. had good reviews, will update when I get it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread