Just blew $300 on the ProVari V2 from Vapour Solutions!!! Got a few questions for you ProV vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krprice84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey all... I just blew almost 3 bills on the provari, two batteries 18490, the extension cap for 18650 batteries, and a pack of clearomizers... can't believe i just did this, but i can't wait! I already own the Ego-C starters kit with an extra passthru battery, plus I also just bought a ChinaTube which actually broke about 3 days after I got it and am waiting on the replacement from my local guy... i just really wanted to get a VV PV and don't know when he'll be replacing mine

anyways, just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks or anything like that?

a question I do have is, vapour solutions didn't have any 18650 batteries in stock, nor did they have the charger that will work for the 18490 batteries. all i have at home is 18650 batteries that came with my ChinaTube, but I know they aren't AW and I don't *think* they actually ARE IMR batteries, even though I was told that the guy thinks that they are. regardless, would it be ok for me to use these batteries in my ProVari?

also, the charger that came with my chinatube doesn't have the spring loaded charger thingy so it won't work with batteries other than the 18650 that it is made for. wondering if anyone has used some sort of spacer or adapter and charged 18490 or 18500 batteries in a charger made for 18650 cells? i know that it makes sense, electrically, that this would work, as the cells have exactly the same design/chemistry/everything and the ONLY difference is the capacity. i do know that chargers work by sensing the voltage and stopping the current flow when it needs to happen... to me this says that there is NO reason why this charger shouldn't charge these cells, and if no one answers me, ithink i'm going to give it a go because i do have a fair bit of electronics knowledge/background, and i'm pretty confident it will work... i'm asking because i want to know if anyone has tried this and had actual problems, or if anyone has tried it and knows it works, because then at least i'll be a little more "100% sure" about putting a(lithium, especially) battery that was charged on a charger not made for it into my 200 dollar PV...

thanks for any help/input/tricks/tips or any other ideas or posts... this forum rocks and i know i'll get some kind of help or feedback!

I'm stoked to be joining the 'holy grail club'

Envithyx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
NorCal
One of the reasons the IMR batteries are recommended only is their ability to put out high current rapidly, and the other batteries just don't have the output rating to keep up. Sure they will work for a bit as I understand it, but could cause you issues in the long run.

From Provape's own faq page:

We recommend only using the IMR High Drain battery in the ProVari. These special batteries are rated to have a higher power output than non-imr batteries. Non-IMR batteries can't flow enough energy for the conversion circuitry in the ProVari. You can use non-IMR batteries in the ProVari, but since the conversion circuitry might become power starved, it might think it's dealing with a dying battery and turn off. The unit was designed to use the high drain batteries and we recommend using these for best performance.

As for charging using spacers, it has been done, but unless you know for a fact that it's safe with your charger, the consequences could be a burnt down home. Please be careful if you try it and don't leave it unattended.

Good luck, I'm sure in time you'll acquire the batteries and a charger you can trust. :thumbs:

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
Please stop recommending the tr001 it is a god awful charger. The newest failure on these cheap pieces of crap has become power cord failures where within one week of shelf sitting the strain relief actually severes from the outer jecket and the insulation from the insulating jacket leaving the wires exposed with no protection. These charger are crap and only are used because they are cheap. Go get a nice pila or xtar for your 3 bill setup. I know it hurts on top of what you already spent but please dont skimp on the muscle of your setup. it will come back to bite you.

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
the Provari 2500 Mah battery Provapes sells is an IC protected battery. they are recommended for the Provari also.
Just get either that, an AW IC,or IMR, Calliescustoms IC or IMR or any good Panasonic cell from a trusted seller.
That and a Pila and you are having the best what is out there.

One of the reasons the IMR batteries are recommended only is their ability to put out high current rapidly, and the other batteries just don't have the output rating to keep up. Sure they will work for a bit as I understand it, but could cause you issues in the long run.

From Provape's own faq page:

We recommend only using the IMR High Drain battery in the ProVari. These special batteries are rated to have a higher power output than non-imr batteries. Non-IMR batteries can't flow enough energy for the conversion circuitry in the ProVari. You can use non-IMR batteries in the ProVari, but since the conversion circuitry might become power starved, it might think it's dealing with a dying battery and turn off. The unit was designed to use the high drain batteries and we recommend using these for best performance.

As for charging using spacers, it has been done, but unless you know for a fact that it's safe with your charger, the consequences could be a burnt down home. Please be careful if you try it and don't leave it unattended.

Good luck, I'm sure in time you'll acquire the batteries and a charger you can trust. :thumbs:

siampumpkin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2011
I have no experience with Pila chargers but I can tell you that my two XTAR chargers are great quality and perform perfect. I also use XTAR 18700 batteries which are made in the same factory as AW and Dinosaur batteries. If you can take the larger size they are great batteries capable of very high drain. I also have a Dinosaur which is rated to handle a 5 AMP drain. Most mods cut out at 3.5 Amps so they can handle any high drain use. Like everyone said. Don't skimp on batteries or equipment. In my experience any if the 'xxxxfire' batteries are junk and probably way over rated.

I would recommend a XTAR MP1 for a single battery charger and the MP6 for charging up to six batteries of any size all at once with a full 600 mAh per channel. I have included some pictures so you can see them. Good luck and make the wise choice.
View attachment 85424

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 4G via Tapatalk 2 Beta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread