iStick 30W Ohm reading capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
So I just did an 8 wrap 26 gauge kanthal build around a 2mm screwdriver for my subtank mini rba deck and I popped it on my istick 30W to check the resistance. I was going for right around 1.0 Ohm and it read 1.2. OK, fine with me. Turned it off and on again. Again, 1.2 ohms, pulsed it, pinched my coils, got them tight enough, turned it on and off again, 1.2 ohms. So I wicked my Puff cotton through, got it wet, reassembled everything with the iStick off and turned it on again to get ready to vape. Now it read 0.9 ohms. Hmm.

OK, I know the iStick isn't an ohm reader or even close to the highest quality mod out there but I didn't expect this degree of variance, especially after a few consistent readings.

Now, my knowledge of coil building and the whole science of it is beginners at best so I hope I'm just missing some normal knowledge here like the coil just needs to set for a minute to get an accurate reading, or after wicking and juicing the resistance might change slightly. I'm hoping to be enlightened here and not told that the iStick is really just that unreliable as far as checking ohm resistance.

If the latter is the case, can other iStick users post their worst instances of bad or changing readings?

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Coil touching the cap after you put it back together?

I seriously doubt it. Plus, if it was touching wouldn't it short or something?
Since you mentioned not to say you need an actually ohm reader I wont say that. LOL but I've noticed with my Istick 30 it reads .1 ohms higher than the actual ohms of the stocked coils I have. You may look it up but being a less expensive built in reader it probably has a variance of .1 to .2 so you may be dead on your ohms.

I plan on buying an ohm reader one day but my vape budget is exhausted for now. It sucks because I have my first rda on the way and I plan on using my iStick to check the ohms on my builds for the time being. Anyway, my iStick was actually reading 0.2 ohms lower on one of the OCC coils I had in.

sprki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Panama
I'd guess it's a build problem or connection problem. All iSticks I've tried have been spot on regarding resistance reads. It is very possible to get higher than expected resistance read on any mod when the connections arent screwed down tight enough. I do 8 wrap 2.4mm micros of Kanthal A1 26g and they always come out to around low 0.90's ohm, which always gets rounded down to 0.9 ohm by the iStick 30w. If I do a slightly larger coil I get around upper 0.90's ohm the iStick rounds them up to 1.0 ohm

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I'd guess it's a build problem or connection problem. All iSticks I've tried have been spot on regarding resistance reads. It is very possible to get higher than expected resistance read on any mod when the connections arent screwed down tight enough. I do 8 wrap 2.4mm micros of Kanthal A1 26g and they always come out to around low 0.90's ohm, which always gets rounded down to 0.9 ohm by the iStick 30w. If I do a slightly larger coil I get around upper 0.90's ohm the iStick rounds them up to 1.0 ohm

Are you talking dual coils or single?

sprki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Panama
Are you talking dual coils or single?

Single coils. I'm just saying that in my experience every iStick I've tried has had very accureate readings, therefore I'd say your problems lies either with a pin the needs adjusting or an atty building mishap, such as pulling to hard with the cotton and moving the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread