Is using e-cigs if you are on oxygen okay? I'm asking for my Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started using e-cigs recently and it's been great. I am trying to convince my mother to use them. She tried one of mine and she liked it. BUT, she's been a HEAVY smoker for over 50 years and has emphysema. She also had head and neck cancer (she's 5 years out of treatment and okay) of undetermined origin that they are pretty sure was caused by her smoking. Her emphysema has gotten so bad they may be putting her on oxygen. I know she should just quit altogether, but I honestly don't think she can. So, I thought e-cigarettes would at least be a better alternative. However, I don't want to get her all excited about them if it turns out she can't use them safely if she's on oxygen at home. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I just started using e-cigs recently and it's been great. I am trying to convince my mother to use them. She tried one of mine and she liked it. BUT, she's been a HEAVY smoker for over 50 years and has emphysema. She also had head and neck cancer (she's 5 years out of treatment and okay) of undetermined origin that they are pretty sure was caused by her smoking. Her emphysema has gotten so bad they may be putting her on oxygen. I know she should just quit altogether, but I honestly don't think she can. So, I thought e-cigarettes would at least be a better alternative. However, I don't want to get her all excited about them if it turns out she can't use them safely if she's on oxygen at home. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

My mom is in a similiar situation (without the cancer) with COPD. She was never going to quit- and she's vaping and loving it. I spoke with her doctor and he's all in favor of it.

She said her breathing has improved. I don't know if it actually has or she just feels like it has but whatever! She feels great because I think she feels more positive about herself.

Best of luck to your mom!

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
My mom is in a similiar situation (without the cancer) with COPD

I have seen several ECF members state they have COPD and that they feel better with the pv and one I believe has cut his meds down, so your mom may very well be breathing much better..... I don't foresee an issue, but I would (like you did) check with the doc first...as for it interfering with the O2 tank....highly doubtful.....

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
As the doctor told my mother quitting is ideal. But if you can't, it's better than smoking. He said (as we all know but I was shocked to hear a doctor say it) that his objection isn't with the nicotine, it's with the other chemicals. He puts the ecig in the same catagory as patches and gum and he's fine with it.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
And lets face it, if she smoked and used oxygen she'd blow the house up. So it is safer.

lol...that is very true....if she is not gonna quit smoking, then yep.....I always hated seeing people on O2 smoke.....it just broke my heart......

As the doctor told my mother quitting is ideal. But if you can't, it's better than smoking. He said (as we all know but I was shocked to hear a doctor say it) that his objection isn't with the nicotine, it's with the other chemicals. He puts the ecig in the same catagory as patches and gum and he's fine with it.

That is what gets me with some of these docs out there......they obviously have not kept up with their studies (which they are supposed to do)..when they go totally bashing the nicotine....there are health benefits to it.....I have no intention of giving up my nic....I have a grandmother bedridden with Alzheimer and another that is getting worse by the day with paranoid dementia......I'll keep my nic thank you.....

The danger of smoking with oxygen is that an oxygen-rich atmosphere makes it easy for a fire to start and spread. The tiniest ash or spark from the end of a cigarette that might ordinarily disappear into nothingness can cause a fire in such a situation. I have no knowledge as to whether the heating element in an ecig could cause a problem but I could see it being at least a small possibility. I have no idea where to look for more information on it. Ideally that's the sort of thing that doctors and the FDA should be examining since smoking emphysema patients could be some of the greatest beneficiaries of e-cigs. Unfortunately the FDA and most doctors are so totally blinded by antismoking fanatics that anything that even suggests the THOUGHT of smoking -- such as e-cigs -- has to be portrayed as the essence of evil and no positive research supported.

Sad world.

Tracj007

Mar 3, 2011
stafford va
I think I agree with the concept of vaping over smoking with O2....smoking, she'll blow herself up for sure at some point, at least with vaping she won't! I've heard sooooo many people say how sick they were when smoking with there lungs and now how much better they are because of vaping. I'm hoping that will be the same result for me in time, right lung plural effusion, left lung two masses! I'm crossing my fingers I get the same positive results I keep reading about. But also agree...ask the pulmonary first! But you should be good to go! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread