Is temp control just for sub ohm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark40511

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Lexington KY
I've never sub ohm'd. I still use nautilus big and mini and vape around 10.5 watts. I have an eleaf istick 40w that has temp control but it says it's at 40w on temp control mode. No way I can vape this at 40w.....or can I in temp control mode? I don't know. I've been vaping for so long but I tend not to keep up with the latest and greatest since what I have has been working for me for a long time....everything I read online about temp control is related to sub ohm, so I just want to make sure that I am correct in not being able to use temp control with a non sub ohm tank. Thanks

Reactions: Diver9543

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I'm just starting to play with TC. In tootle puffing mode I am building kanthal contact coils at 1 - 1.3 ohm and running around 12w. For my first foray into TC I made a spaced SS316 coil reading about .5 ohm. So *technically* I am using a subohm setup but it's not delivering what I would consider a subohm vape, no huge clouds and not sucking the juice up like crazy. Still using my tootle puffing tank and getting a similar type of vape, maybe a little cooler but a whole lot more consistent. My watts are close to 30 but as I understand things that is your initial preheat, as soon as your selected temp is reached the mod will pull back the power to maintain the temp. I've only been at it a few days but what I'm getting is a darn good vape.

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Many mods, however, will not read TC coils as TC coils at reaistance greater than 1 Ohm.

Just checked the specs for Istick 40w so with that mod it would be subohm only

• Rated resistance range: 0.05-1ohm (TC mode), 0.15-3.5ohm (VW mode)
Most current mods work with 1.5 ohm coils.
For a while I used TC with SS coils 1.0-1.3 ohm. Finally I decided that TC was masking my faults in wicking, making vaping less enjoyable. But many people do like it even with high resistance coils. May be I'll change my opinion in a year or five.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Most current mods work with 1.5 ohm coils.

That was a TC res bump JoyeTech introduced somewhere around last fall IIRC (and I presume others have followed suit), but... their Eleaf 40TC predates that by quite a bit (mine is ages old now, I think it was my second TC mod along with the Sig 75 if that gives you a timeline) and is not firmware upgradeable.

I haven't thought about it but a 1.0 TC max sounds about right for that mod.

Last edited:

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I've never sub ohm'd. I still use Nautilus big and mini and vape around 10.5 watts. I have an eleaf istick 40w that has temp control but it says it's at 40w on temp control mode. No way I can vape this at 40w.....or can I in temp control mode? I don't know. I've been vaping for so long but I tend not to keep up with the latest and greatest since what I have has been working for me for a long time....everything I read online about temp control is related to sub ohm, so I just want to make sure that I am correct in not being able to use temp control with a non sub ohm tank. Thanks

The 40TC is a pretty sweet little mod. I don't use my fixed batt LiPos anymore (iStick 40 and 30s) but I do miss their form factor and great feel in the hand.

As mentioned, it caps the TC at 1 ohm, and you may want to leave a little headroom under that for when the coil heats and the res rises... maybe. It could kick down into watts mode if the calculations flag something in the firmware.
No reason you can't MTL an 0.9. Go for it. ;)

The lack of wattage control in TC is simply because of the relatively low 40 watt max. The mod throttles the power at set temp.
No worries. Works fine.

But... it lacks a dedicated TC mode for SS in case you wondered.
If you're determined... you can unlock a Titanium TC mode, and use that for SS by dropping the target temp 70-100 F.
It's a dodgy workaround... but it does work.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The temperature control wire is lower resistance than Kanthal or nichrome. Therefore the same coil becomes subohm, but this shows the meaninglessness of the term subohm in this case. With nickel wire, a 1 ohm style coil becomes more like .1 .

As to power setting with TC, it's absolutely essential in my experience so far. TC is still more temp. protection not regulation, and if it's constantly kicking in it doesn't work as well. With the Pico, I've found that running the power low enough allows the temperature to be set lower. For example, power 15-20% higher than power mode, temp at a very safe (if accurate) 400 degrees F, TC rarely cutting in, vs. an anemic vape with power 75% higher and temp at 450 deg. or higher with the TC working almost constantly.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread