Is nic really addictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I tried to read to the end of the thread before responding, but couldn't do it.
The post above was where I felt it was time to jump in immediately.
:laugh:

There are lots of studies that show nicotine is not addictive in non-smokers.
I thought we had all settled on that conclusion years ago.

But then again, a lot of people get addicted to a lot of things.
Where other people don't.

Why should nicotine be different?

I drink coffee all the time, but I'm not even remotely addicted to it.
I also used a number of very addictive drugs when I was young, but never got addicted.

I have been vaping for around 18 months now with zero nicotine.
I don't have any cravings for nicotine whatsoever.

What I do crave, is the act of vaping.
Especially when I have a beer or two or four.

The bottom line is that everyone is different.

But in general, nicotine divorced from tobacco is VERY often not addictive to MOST people.
(and I bolded those words for a reason)
:)

Very good points to take into consideration, but most vapers they have to have their nic. Sure there are going to be exceptions and everyone is different, but most need their nic even in vaping. I liked you post though because i thought you made some very good points and food for thought.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I just want to say i agree with what others have brought up and that is there are other addictive chemicals in cigs and is nic getting the bad rap for it. I have no doubt their are other addictive chemicals because when i quit the nic wasn't enough for my cravings, i was craving something else or possibly several things that are addictive in cigs. However, one thing we all needed and many still use is nic, including myself. I know i like the way it makes me feel, but when i am without it i feel it. So the question remains, is nic addictive and from what i have gathered in this thread, and my personal experience, i am leaning more towards yes. But i just can not explain how researched showed people who were nonsmokers being subjected to nic intake for months at a time and had no withdrawal effects when it was removed.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
I used to drink a pot and 1/2 of coffee a day, can't stand coffee now even if it smells sooo good, it doesn't taste good. I now drink hot tea. I do miss coffee though.....

I usually only drink energy drinks when I need a boost of energy. When I was working 66 hours a week, in 95 F heat and %100 humidity, I was drinking 2 energy drinks (480 mg of caffeine) and went through 10 ml of e liquid a day :shock:.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Cigarettes contain the cream center of Oreos.[emoji6]
93ae5eb10973ca1838c61a0492cd5d9c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
and i just want to add, i accept that is nic is probably addictive. Heck my cup of coffee in the mornings is addictive. Both are harmless addictions, least in my mind. Unless you have blood clotting disorder or hypertension. I don't have hypertension but i do have a blood clotting disorder..factor V mutation gene. So yeah nic might not be the smartest thing for me to be doing which is why i work very hard to cut back here and there with hopes i will be free of it altogether, but i know i will still vape because like many of you, it's all about the psychological ritual effect.

Brad888

Jul 28, 2017
Texas

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Reactions: Brad888

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Signed up to reply to this. American Spirit contains far more freebase nicotine than typical premium brands. And that doesn't happen without additives. In fact, they were sued over it.

'Natural' tobacco company faces federal suit for deceptive advertising

Welcome to ECF!!! great forum with lots of great people!! I use to roll my own cigs and used American Spirit thinking it would be better without all the chemicals, wow was i wrong according to your article. I did notice the tobacco seemed pretty harsh but i never knew why. I also felt at times like i was getting nic sick and you just answered that question why i was feeling that way. Thanks for signing up and responding i seriously did not know that about American Spirits.

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
Signed up to reply to this. American Spirit contains far more freebase nicotine than typical premium brands. And that doesn't happen without additives. In fact, they were sued over it.

'Natural' tobacco company faces federal suit for deceptive advertising

Ya know you got me thinking, do you think it's the freebase exposure to nic might be why us smokers developed an addiction per say to nic? and why those given nic gum or patches didn't. I don't think those provide freebased nic, least i don't think so. Going out a limb here.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Ya know you got me thinking, do you think it's the freebase exposure to nic might be why us smokers developed an addiction per say to nic? and why those given nic gum or patches didn't. I don't think those provide freebased nic, least i don't think so. Going out a limb here.
I think you are correct.[emoji106]

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Reactions: Brad888

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
and i just want to add, i accept that is nic is probably addictive. Heck my cup of coffee in the mornings is addictive. Both are harmless addictions, least in my mind. Unless you have blood clotting disorder or hypertension. I don't have hypertension but i do have a blood clotting disorder..factor V mutation gene. So yeah nic might not be the smartest thing for me to be doing which is why i work very hard to cut back here and there with hopes i will be free of it altogether, but i know i will still vape because like many of you, it's all about the psychological ritual effect.

All I know is I get stressed out easy, once I started smoking I don't really get stressed out now. Nicotine helps with my stress. Is it the best way to deal with stress? Heck no! Do I care? nope!

Reactions: DeAnna2112

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm not going to comment on the "freebase" part because I don't know enough.

But nicotine is only one of a number of alkaloids in tobacco.
The other alkaloids have a synergistic effect with respect to addictiveness.

Those other alkaloids are absent in gums and patches and vape.
There is a fair amount of research out there on this topic.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
All I know is I get stressed out easy, once I started smoking I don't really get stressed out now. Nicotine helps with my stress. Is it the best way to deal with stress? Heck no! Do I care? nope!
Feeling stressed out? 2 words, gun range[emoji16]

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
I'm not going to comment on the "freebase" part because I don't know enough.

But nicotine is only one of a number of alkaloids in tobacco.
The other alkaloids have a synergistic effect with respect to addictiveness.

Those other alkaloids are absent in gums and patches and vape.
There is a fair amount of research out there on this topic.

Good voice of reason, noted

Brad888

Jul 28, 2017
Texas

Several years ago I switched from Marlboro Reds to 'rolling' my own with a Micromatic machine due to the cost. I had withdrawals even while smoking the new ciggs and I believe it's because the pipe tobacco in RYO ciggs doesn't have all those chemicals and additives or the same amount of freebase nicotine.

I'm still hooked on the non freebased tobacco, but I believe the chemically doped stuff strengthens its addictive potential.

The nic in vapes still leaves me wanting a cigg. I have heard a theory that the combustion of tobacco produces additional chemical compounds and perhaps that's what I'm craving. Also, the whole tobacco alkaloids mentioned earlier seems very interesting.

But in short, to me it seems that premium ciggs are not exactly the same as natural tobacco and that's not exactly the same as what we vape. And in that decreasing order of addictiveness. I have never craved vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread