Is my Smok m80 broken? After two puffs on a prebuilt Delta (0,5Ohm) original coil or Lemo 1,1Ohm coil, the M80 jumps to 2,9Ohms and shows sometimes no

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatguyRay

Mar 11, 2015
New Jersey
"Jumping" resistance on the smok m80 plus

So does it seem like an defective device? Is it broken? How can one describe the wrong readings and jumps from a prebuilt original coil Delta 0.5 with the smok M80 Plus Pro it fires and shows a reading of up to 2,9Ohm or sometimes even 2,6,1,9,1,5 Ohms on the delta 2 , 0.5Ohm coil after two puffs.

The same on the prebuilt Lemo coil that comes with 1.1Ohm .. The Smok M80 Plus changes the ohms itself.

The first day it was vaping fine I only noticed the Ohms jumps cause I began to cough really hard then I noticed it was firing at the wrong Ohms.
And now after 2 days of usage I get constantly No Atomizer showing but then again after pressing the button twice it fires again but the same thing it shows a delta 2 prebuilt coil with 0,5Ohm as 2,9Ohms on the display and fires it at this high ohms which the delta 2 is not.

Any suggestion? How can that be? Is this one a RMA case?

Last edited:

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Honestly, and i hate to say it OP, but after everything i've seen about that mod, specifically the newer versions/firmware with the STILL non-functioning (though advertised) Temp Control, i would just RMA it and get a completely different mod.

Smok dropped the ball big time(being generous, they actually just blatantly lied), about the TC/TP imo.

Up until this point i thought it was ok for the price point if you were just running Kanthal on it, but with your issues, i'd just get rid of it if your vendor will work with you.

Best of luck!

DatguyRay

Mar 11, 2015
New Jersey
Regarding battery life, mine lasted only a day. Heavy Vaper here.

But Vaped it only at 17-21 Watts max. on a Lemo prebuilt 1,0 Ohm and a Delta 2 at 0,5 prebuilt coil.

Now after 3 weeks it is broken, shows on the screen: No Atomizer
yep, builts work on another device

I wouldn't recommend it a friend had his for almost 2 weeks before it died on him. And another Youtuber called DJLsb Vapes (i think) had his fourth reviewed device died after some use.

here the link to the tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QegRLjcjKkM

Attachments

• hi.jpg
    hi.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 21

kartoffelfaust

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
USA
Make sure everything is tightened down snugly. Ohms jumping like that indicates a short.

There is a bad connection somewhere in the chain:
- battery
- Atomizer to device
- Coil in atomizer: if prebuilt, tighten down. If rebuildable, double check all connections and make sure there are no shorts.

I hope its not the electronics in the device. Hopefully folks who own one can help you out there.

If you have an ohm meter, you can independently verify the atomizer & coils to be sure there is no short in that portion.

sketchi.engnr

Jun 30, 2015
yup it sucks. jumps all over, potentially dangerous if you ask me. you can get a bad throat burn at 2ohm and over 40 watt. i think the 510 is the culprit.
as for tc i knew it wasnt a resistance feedback type. but i wanted to play with the ramp up/down with kanthal.. and that is ok.
i still use it in my car with usb. battery life isnt bad. and if you have a cable that can push 2amp, it charges super quick.
the cable that came with was like 1100ma btw. lol
i still regret not getting the heatvape invader.
kangxin mini comes tomorrow, should be better, i hope.

VCross

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Yucaipa, California
That's happened to me twice on my M80. I use a Subtank Mini but for me it usually happens right after I put the tank back on after cleaning/refilling. I either don't put the coil/base on tight enough or I tighten it up too much. Just twist the tank on finger tight and then give a medium strength 1/4 twist to fully seat the 510 connection. Works every time for me.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Honestly, and i hate to say it OP, but after everything i've seen about that mod, specifically the newer versions/firmware with the STILL non-functioning (though advertised) Temp Control, i would just RMA it and get a completely different mod.

Smok dropped the ball big time(being generous, they actually just blatantly lied), about the TC/TP imo.

Up until this point i thought it was ok for the price point if you were just running Kanthal on it, but with your issues, i'd just get rid of it if your vendor will work with you.

Best of luck!

I would have to respectfully disagree - have one I am vaping on right now, with a Twisted Messes RDA with no issues - have used with a variety of tanks as well - to the best of my knowledge, the only real issue with the M80 is that the bs'd the TC part - since I am not using it for TC, it's a bit of a non issue for me, at least - other than that, mod works well, user friendly, and seems to be well built, just my experience with it...

it sounds like an issue with the atty/ connection more so than the mod - making sure coil is seated/ connections are solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread