xPro M80 plus keeps changing ohms with each puff...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonSC

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
SC, USA
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I have the Smok xPro M80 plus and I have a couple Kanger subtank minis I use with it. I usually use .5 ohm coils. Sometimes it will show the ohms fairly correctly at .54 or even .61, which seems close enough. However, as I puff, the ohms reading will tend to change after every few puffs. Sometimes it will even say up to 1.5 or 2.0 ohms on the same tank coil! One tank seems to do it worse than the other, but the two I use now both will change quite often, and once in awhile quite drastically. It sometimes helps if I unscrew the tank and screw it back on, but if it isn't really tight, the ohms read are really far off from what they should be. I'm not sure if it is the tanks or the M80 plus that has the problem. When it reads really high, if I don't catch it before I take a puff, it is horrible and burny-dry, since it thinks the ohms are so high...

Has anyone else had this problem and/or figured out how it can be fixed??

SharonSC

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
SC, USA
I thought it might be something to do with the connection too, but I clean it several times a day and it doesn't seem loose. In fact, if I don't screw it on fairly tight, then the ohms are definitely way off. I think it still might be something to do with the connection, but can't figure out what exactly it is that's making it change so often and so drastically...

Very annoying though, to have to check before each puff to make sure it doesn't read something crazy, and to have to keep slightly unscrewing and screwing the tank on the battery... Ugh!

workman70

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Knoxville, TN
I have one, mine has not had that issue...at least not that dramatic. With the Ni200 Subtank coils, I see some variation hit to hit, but it appears to have stabilized. The fact that it only reads ohms when you are hitting it may have something to do with it. It doesn't read ohms realtime or live. You may have a bad one or a previous version with a glitch.

That said, I have the version 7. What version firmware do you have, as supposedly the v7 comes with a different chip? It also seems to have helped temp control. It is NOT temp control, BUT it does work. It works on variable wattage and a wattage curve, from what I can tell. I did try the burnt cotton test, and it still burns cotton, but with a wet wick (I use subtank mini) it is really a non issue. What it does is give you a very stable same temp hit. I also use these tanks on the Istick 50 and it gives a great hit, but from time to time you can get a dry hit if your tank loses vacuum. This seems to help eliminate that, but you can still get dry somewhat burnt hits.

All in all, for $50, it's a 80w device that works great in wattage mode (haven't tried mech mode) and it works well in temp control mode if you know what to expect. It is not true temp protection as the dna40 with the yihi chip. BUT IT DOES WORK for what it is. I wasn't sold on it right away and thought I may return it, however, it's growing on me. The consistency is nice, and you can dial in the hit better than with just wattage.

Last edited:

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Theres definitely a contact issue between the tank and the 510 pin.. The fact that it happens on multiple tanks points to the Smok's 510 being the culprit. I know that feeling, my Samurai Bonsai was doing this last week because in playing around with it, I knocked the insulator for the positive post out of its slot a tiny bit which caused the positive pin in it to start pushing up. Had to take the whole thing apart before I found the cause.. I was glad because I thought my Sigelei Mini was freaking out on me, but luckily it was the dripper.

It sure aint fun vaping at 4.1v and all of a sudden having your next vape come out at like 7!! The wattage may be the same but man that higher voltage HURTS.

I also have the m80 plus and mine has been doing it for a couple of weeks now... it has progressivly gotten worse and now almost every puff i take it starts at .64 ohms and then right in the middle of a big lung hit it will jump to 1.72 ohms and burn my throat off. This m80 has been nothing but problems since i got it and really pissing me off because i paid alot of money for it! The shop i bought it from wont do anything for me as they say i have done something to it, which is not the case. But ive learned the hard way i will not be buying and smok gear anymore

Kevin Foster

Jul 1, 2015
England
I also have the m80 plus and mine has been doing it for a couple of weeks now... it has progressivly gotten worse and now almost every puff i take it starts at .64 ohms and then right in the middle of a big lung hit it will jump to 1.72 ohms and burn my throat off. This m80 has been nothing but problems since i got it and really pissing me off because i paid alot of money for it! The shop i bought it from wont do anything for me as they say i have done something to it, which is not the case. But ive learned the hard way i will not be buying and smok gear anymore
Ive had mine a week and mine was doing the exact same thing jumping from 0.64ohm to 1.72ohm the other day, what I found to be the problem was the connector on my tank. Tightened it up as mine has a flat head screw and not had the problem since.
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread