YES if
    You're willing to use Stainless Steel coils
    If you want to customize what's on the screen
    You don't want any dry hits by using TC or Replay
    You want a 1 year American warranty on the board

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I was at a local vape shop picking up some ejuice and they had some mods that had DNA chips, Lost Vape I think. If I purchased one of these mods would I notice much difference in vape quality as I only MTL vape at a max wattage of 15 watts. They are pricey so would I notice a difference?
    DNA invented a lot of the chip stuff, and everything else basically copies it. The imitaters sucked really hard for a while but they got better. The best was arctic fox, which with a bit of twiddling could be nearly as good. Arctic fox is no more though. This makes DNA again the only programmable you can buy. Welcome to the aughts. Lol. Gallows humor. One thing DNA mods do that most others don’t is be adjustable by 1/10th watt, which doesn’t matter for DL, but can for MTL, because. 5% reduction if you’re vaping at 10w (which is pretty high for MTL) means 0.5w.

Reactions: MLEJ

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    I vape high wattage, like 140 and up. Stainless steel and nichrome. I bought riva DNA 250c and it broke. I started using my nondna dovpo mvp at those same high wattage same build and I could definitely tell the difference. I had to buy another riva DNA to get the same vape again. Idk how to explain but the same rda with the same build at 140 on the non DNA was like muted flavor. I got the same amount vapor but it was like the flavor I could taste it but it wasn't the same. Maybe it was in my head but I definitely missed my DNA.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    A mod is just a power source. They may have been delivering that power differently though. One way is actually changing the wattage, and another is pulsing a higher wattage so what come out is effectively equal. I don’t know if there are any differences or what they might be, but it’s possible. Doesn’t necessarily mean there actually are any though. Imagine the difference between putting a chicken in the overn and that guy who cooked a chicken by repeatedly slapping it (I try to work that one in wherever I can as proof that the internet is purile). They could even both be chicken slappers but vary as to how hard and how often

Billie- “ mommy mommy! I wanna be a chicken slapper when I grow up!”

Mommy- “ OK, you see that noose over there? Just go put your head in it. It will be better for both of us..”

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: cambford91

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    A mod is just a power source. They may have been delivering that power differently though. One way is actually changing the wattage, and another is pulsing a higher wattage so what come out is effectively equal. I don’t know if there are any differences or what they might be, but it’s possible. Doesn’t necessarily mean there actually are any though. Imagine the difference between putting a chicken in the overn and that guy who cooked a chicken by repeatedly slapping it (I try to work that one in wherever I can as proof that the internet is purile). They could even both be chicken slappers but vary as to how hard and how often

Billie- “ mommy mommy! I wanna be a chicken slapper when I grow up!”

Mommy- “ OK, you see that noose over there? Just go put your head in it. It will be better for both of us..”
    As I said it could've it couldve all.been in my head, but it could also be the fact the DNA mod has punch and boost settings, but I couldn't go with out. I made my choice now I must live with it lol. Plus the riva is one of the cheapest DNA mods I have seen, at 99 bucks, what is that 40 bucks more than mod with a proprietary chip set. Seems worth it to me. Actually I've seen proprietary mods more than 100 bucks. That's for an unproven chip seems Ludacris to me! A risk not worth taking.

• Agree
    Reactions: ShamrockPat

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    Plus look at this, BEAUTIFUL

Attachments

• 1704420726447342997612448960683.jpg
      1704420726447342997612448960683.jpg
      524.6 KB · Views: 12

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As I said it could've it couldve all.been in my head, but it could also be the fact the DNA mod has punch and boost settings,
    There are many non-DNA, non-Yihi mods that allow a "punch" or "boost". They erroneously call it "preheat" most of the time, or they might have a curve function you can configure to give you a "punch' or 'boost". Strangely they almost never tell you about such features in the marketing materials, like as if such a feature has little to no value, but they do...for me.

Of course any mod with Arctic Fox firmware will have this, too.

When I'm not tootle puffing, I absolutely hate any mod that has no "preheat", "punch, "boost", "curve" or whatever you wanna call it. That's why I own mostly AF mods...for the "preheat". I don't do TC. So DNA or similar are not really something I ever cared to buy.

I'm pretty sure volts are volts, more or less. However I will concede that DNA volts probably taste better than volts from an old rattlesnaker mod. But then any modern mod's volts would.

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    Yes I feel ya mod really just battery, but yes I love the preheat, I bought the DNA initially to try out temp control. It's really not my thing, I use stainless steel most for the low resistance, but I have a love heat relationship with it, cuz it can be a ..... to get the hotspots out without over hearing it. I do use replay on the DNA mod sometimes though it's pretty nice. I have use anything with articfox firmware yet, but I'll keep my eye out. What mods use artic fox?

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yes I feel ya mod really just battery, but yes I love the preheat, I bought the DNA initially to try out temp control. It's really not my thing, I use stainless steel most for the low resistance, but I have a love heat relationship with it, cuz it can be a ..... to get the hotspots out without over hearing it. I do use replay on the DNA mod sometimes though it's pretty nice. I have use anything with articfox firmware yet, but I'll keep my eye out. What mods use artic fox?

For the record: I don't want/intend to turn this into an AF vs DNA thread because it turns into a fanboy argument and because there is no question to most TC users that AF is not as good as DNA for TC, and the AF team never claimed it to be better or even identical. As I said, I personally only use AF to give non-preheat mods teh preheat function.

Anyway, the Arctic Fox project was discontinued this past summer. But they are still making the files available for download on their site. If you want to get the files, see this post for links.

As far as what mods are compatible, the short way to answer that is 95% of all JWE (Joyetech, Wismec and Eleaf) mods with Micro USB ports released between about 2016 and 2020 are likely compatible. For an almost 100% accurate list, see this site.

Problem with all these lists is that some mods like the original Eleaf Istick Pico (75W) are in their 2nd generation and the 2nd Gen use a different microcontroller and are not compatible. So there are exceptions that the lists never tell you. Basically, for that particular mod, if it has USB-C instead of Micro USB you now you have 2nd Gen and therefore not compatible. On the other hand, the 2nd Gen of the Pico 25 with USB-C is still compatible (i have heard but have not confirmed) since the 2nd gen pf the Pico 25 has the same microcontroller as gen 1 (but I have heard that it doesn't work on their gen 2 Pico 25 so go figure).

There are also a few non-JWE mods that were unofficially supported that you won't see on the lists. Example: the 1st generation of Vaporesso Swag mods (not the Swag II) that have the TPCBAT microcontroller are compatible wiht no surgery on the PCB needed. The 1st gen Swag with the SPCBAT microcontroll are not compatible at all. There are a couple other non-JWE mods like this that I remember seeing on their forum (which they took down unfortunately).

If you have questions about AF and which files to download, just PM me and I will help you the best I can. I have all the files on my PC with some notes to go along with them. Some mods need to use specific version while most do not and the latest version would be your best bet for those.

cambford91

ECF Veteran
    Nov 25, 2022
    United States
    For the record: I don't want/intend to turn this into an AF vs DNA thread because it turns into a fanboy argument and because there is no question to most TC users that AF is not as good as DNA for TC, and the AF team never claimed it to be better or even identical. As I said, I personally only use AF to give non-preheat mods teh preheat function.

Anyway, the Arctic Fox project was discontinued this past summer. But they are still making the files available for download on their site. If you want to get the files, see this post for links.

As far as what mods are compatible, the short way to answer that is 95% of all JWE (Joyetech, Wismec and Eleaf) mods with Micro USB ports released between about 2016 and 2020 are likely compatible. For an almost 100% accurate list, see this site.

Problem with all these lists is that some mods like the original Eleaf Istick Pico (75W) are in their 2nd generation and the 2nd Gen use a different microcontroller and are not compatible. So there are exceptions that the lists never tell you. Basically, for that particular mod, if it has USB-C instead of Micro USB you now you have 2nd Gen and therefore not compatible. On the other hand, the 2nd Gen of the Pico 25 with USB-C is still compatible (i have heard but have not confirmed) since the 2nd gen pf the Pico 25 has the same microcontroller as gen 1 (but I have heard that it doesn't work on their gen 2 Pico 25 so go figure).

There are also a few non-JWE mods that were unofficially supported that you won't see on the lists. Example: the 1st generation of Vaporesso Swag mods (not the Swag II) that have the TPCBAT microcontroller are compatible wiht no surgery on the PCB needed. The 1st gen Swag with the SPCBAT microcontroll are not compatible at all. There are a couple other non-JWE mods like this that I remember seeing on their forum (which they took down unfortunately).

If you have questions about AF and which files to download, just PM me and I will help you the best I can. I have all the files on my PC with some notes to go along with them. Some mods need to use specific version while most do not and the latest version would be your best bet for those.
    Oh I'm not debating with you bud, I'm not claiming to be any type of expert. I'm just giving my personal experience. I have non with artic fox. I actually did not know you could change the firmware on a mod like that. That's crazy. I will be researching though thanks for the info!

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Oh I'm not debating with you bud

Yup, I know. I'm just getting the disclaimer in before the usual fanboys take my post as a DNA vs. AF argument (which I'm not even qualified to argue to begin with lol). It's almost inevitable even without said disclaimer, but can't say I didn't try lol.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I actually did not know you could change the firmware on a mod like that. That's crazy.

There have been a few firmware projects throughout the years but none took off anywhere similar to AF and none really added a whole lot of value to the mods they were written for. It was more of an "oh cool!" kinda thing. Also, one of the ones I remember (custom firmware for the Sigelei Fuchai) required some surgery on the PCB to enable a PC to communicate with the MCU, so that alone alienates a large portion of folks. Back then, most mods were not designed to have communication with a PC through USB port, so you had to do some soldering to make it happen.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    As I said it could've it couldve all.been in my head, but it could also be the fact the DNA mod has punch and boost settings, but I couldn't go with out. I made my choice now I must live with it lol. Plus the riva is one of the cheapest DNA mods I have seen, at 99 bucks, what is that 40 bucks more than mod with a proprietary chip set. Seems worth it to me. Actually I've seen proprietary mods more than 100 bucks. That's for an unproven chip seems Ludacris to me! A risk not worth taking.
    I don’t disagree. I often don’t have the ducats for anything but a proprietary chip though. At least these days. When I thought I could afford it I bought DNA. DNA did all the research, they know them best. If money is not a limiting factor DNA is better. The proprietary ones aren’t as crap as they used to be though. MTL becoming less popular helped them because frequently they’re not accurate enough for MTL.

Users who are viewing this thread