Intro and a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

My first time on this forum even though I've been vaping for 7ish years now. I'm from Ukraine, currently residing on Koh Samui island, Thailand for 1.5 years now.

Before I started vaping, I had been smoking for 20 years, always the strongest cigs, ~25 a day or so. Then I started with something basic (and a 24mg juice hehe), then switched to something more powerful with less nic, again and again, until I ended up with Eleaf Lemo 3 and a couple of 80-100W dual-18650 box mods, vaping 6mg 70VG with 0.18Ohm coils at 40-50W. Admittedly one thing I haven't got around to are RDAs, I vape too much to be bothered to drip it over and over again.

Then, after moving to Thailand I discovered that juice prices here are quite a bit higher than what I was used to in Ukraine, and by that time I was consuming probably 400 ml a month, so after depleting half a liter I took with me I started looking for a solution to make it cheaper. Surpisingly I found out about saltnic and pod systems only after they've been around for a while, and decided to give it a try. First try was Uwell Caliburn - a pretty neat little thing, I actually enjoyed carrying it with me so much after those 2x18650 monsters. However, I found out very quickly that while saltnic definitely gives more than enough nicotine 'feeling', it's quite lacking in throat hit, clouds and sorta feels very 'dry' or 'sore' (I assume because of 50 PG). Couldn't do much about it with Caliburn's 1.4Ohm tiny pods.

So long story short, I finally ended up with my current setup. Tesla Invader GT pod kit with T-P2 0.6 Ohm coil; I'm mixing saltnic with freebase 50/50; for saltnic, it's a 50mg US-made VGOD ice series - ice mango/apple/berry, for freebase it's local 3mg ice grape, and I believe it's 70VG. Vaping this mix at just 15W and a semi-restricted DL ticks all the right boxes for me - plenty of nic, plenty of throat hit, clouds semi-comparable to normal freebase vaping, all while saving the coil life and only consuming around 100ml a month. Not to mention a compact setup too (not as compact as Caliburn but it's still small and light and incredibly well-built for a device that I bought for $23) and great battery life. So in the end, I'm extremely satisfied with it.

That being said, I suppose a couple of questions that I have are:

- with this sort of saltnic/freebase mixing, what's a good way to try to measure how much nicotine I actually consume? Are there any programs/apps or formulas that I can use? In 7 years never actually bothered myself with this question. I sorta assume empyrically that if I mix 50mg and 3mg in 50/50 proportion, I end up with 26.5mg, and then I consume roughly the same nic in 100ml as I would with 400ml of 6mg freebase, but I'd like something more scientific.

- I tried a few times to vape so called 'Malaysian' liquids (normal freebase), both on their own with my old Lemo 3 and mixing with VGOD in the same way - I always end up burning my coils (or rather cotton I suppose), is it because of the 'dry hits'? I do chain vape quite a bit once in a while, is it because those liquids are 'max VG'? It's a shame really as they're extremely flavorful.

Thanks and nice meeting you all.

P.S. I do not encourage anybody to break any laws, but it's not really as bad here in Thailand as some people seem to think, at least not on the islands. It's quite a normal occasion to be vaping directly outside immigration police office right next to the police captain who's also standing there doing huge clouds with his RDA. But I guess on Koh Samui in particular the enforcement of the law is uhm, very different to the rest of the country. A few local suppliers on the island seem to be quite afraid and thus very shady though, thankfully there's a number of well known and reliable online shops.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hey everyone!

My first time on this forum even though I've been vaping for 7ish years now. I'm from Ukraine, currently residing on Koh Samui island, Thailand for 1.5 years now.

Before I started vaping, I had been smoking for 20 years, always the strongest cigs, ~25 a day or so. Then I started with something basic (and a 24mg juice hehe), then switched to something more powerful with less nic, again and again, until I ended up with Eleaf Lemo 3 and a couple of 80-100W dual-18650 box mods, vaping 6mg 70VG with 0.18Ohm coils at 40-50W. Admittedly one thing I haven't got around to are RDAs, I vape too much to be bothered to drip it over and over again.

Then, after moving to Thailand I discovered that juice prices here are quite a bit higher than what I was used to in Ukraine, and by that time I was consuming probably 400 ml a month, so after depleting half a liter I took with me I started looking for a solution to make it cheaper. Surpisingly I found out about saltnic and pod systems only after they've been around for a while, and decided to give it a try. First try was Uwell Caliburn - a pretty neat little thing, I actually enjoyed carrying it with me so much after those 2x18650 monsters. However, I found out very quickly that while saltnic definitely gives more than enough nicotine 'feeling', it's quite lacking in throat hit, clouds and sorta feels very 'dry' or 'sore' (I assume because of 50 PG). Couldn't do much about it with Caliburn's 1.4Ohm tiny pods.

So long story short, I finally ended up with my current setup. Tesla Invader GT pod kit with T-P2 0.6 Ohm coil; I'm mixing saltnic with freebase 50/50; for saltnic, it's a 50mg US-made VGOD ice series - ice mango/apple/berry, for freebase it's local 3mg ice grape, and I believe it's 70VG. Vaping this mix at just 15W and a semi-restricted DL ticks all the right boxes for me - plenty of nic, plenty of throat hit, clouds semi-comparable to normal freebase vaping, all while saving the coil life and only consuming around 100ml a month. Not to mention a compact setup too (not as compact as Caliburn but it's still small and light and incredibly well-built for a device that I bought for $23) and great battery life. So in the end, I'm extremely satisfied with it.

That being said, I suppose a couple of questions that I have are:

- with this sort of saltnic/freebase mixing, what's a good way to try to measure how much nicotine I actually consume? Are there any programs/apps or formulas that I can use? In 7 years never actually bothered myself with this question. I sorta assume empyrically that if I mix 50mg and 3mg in 50/50 proportion, I end up with 26.5mg, and then I consume roughly the same nic in 100ml as I would with 400ml of 6mg freebase, but I'd like something more scientific.

- I tried a few times to vape so called 'Malaysian' liquids (normal freebase), both on their own with my old Lemo 3 and mixing with VGOD in the same way - I always end up burning my coils (or rather cotton I suppose), is it because of the 'dry hits'? I do chain vape quite a bit once in a while, is it because those liquids are 'max VG'? It's a shame really as they're extremely flavorful.

Thanks and nice meeting you all.

P.S. I do not encourage anybody to break any laws, but it's not really as bad here in Thailand as some people seem to think, at least not on the islands. It's quite a normal occasion to be vaping directly outside immigration police office right next to the police captain who's also standing there doing huge clouds with his RDA. But I guess on Koh Samui in particular the enforcement of the law is uhm, very different to the rest of the country. A few local suppliers on the island seem to be quite afraid and thus very shady though, thankfully there's a number of well known and reliable online shops.
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your right, mixing 50mg and 3mg strengths in a 50/50 mix will give you an overall strength of 26.5mg. That gives you 2650 mg in 100ml. The equivalent 6mg in 400ml will be 2400mg of nic.

Your right, mixing 50mg and 3mg strengths in a 50/50 mix will give you an overall strength of 26.5mg. That gives you 2650 mg in 100ml. The equivalent 6mg in 400ml will be 2400mg of nic.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that there might be some sort of a trick to this considering the different types of liquids and didn't expect it to just be that straightforward. Happy to know both that my current nic intake is about on par with what I had with pure freebase, and that it's still nearly 3 times less than what I had when I was smoking.

Also, thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought that there might be some sort of a trick to this considering the different types of liquids and didn't expect it to just be that straightforward. Happy to know both that my current nic intake is about on par with what I had with pure freebase, and that it's still nearly 3 times less than what I had when I was smoking.

Also, thanks for the welcomes everyone.
    No problem @GwynBleidd, no trickery lol. Good that you worked it out for yourself.

Reactions: GwynBleidd
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread