Pod kit replacement suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm currently vaping a 50/50 mix of 50mg saltnic and 3mg freebase in a Tesla Invader GT with a 0.6 Ohm coil at 15W, essentially a 26.5mg liquid that I vape a lot but at this wattage goes really slowly, only 100 ml/month (doing this for about 6 months now). Doing something of an RDL with half of the airflow.

Today my pod system started giving me this weird bad smell from the bottom (where the ventilation holes and the charging port are, basically from here (see attached image). It's like the smell of burnt plastic, or rather burned/shorted circuitry, something like that. It doesn't affect the operation in any way, and doesn't actually alter the taste of the liquid (since the pod is top airflow), but I can still feel it plus it stays on my fingers.

So question 1 is, what the hell might that be? I had some accidental leaking inside the device, and I quite often swim in the pool/sea with the kid with the device sometimes catching some water drops from the bottom. Could the liquid/water damage be the reason for this kind of smell?

Now, it's quite unpleasant so I want to switch to something else. This setup, wattage, coil, coil longevity fit me very much so I'd like to keep as close to it as possible. The pod kit I'm looking at is Geekvape Aegis Boost Pro, it's most certainly an overkill with the 100W max but it has lots of pros including the IP67 rating that should prevent similar problems.

However, the highest impedance coils available for it seem to be 0.4 Ohm rated at 50-60W; there's no chance I'm gonna be vaping any sort of 50mg saltnic mix at that wattage. I don't mind lowering the nic level and increasing the amount of consumed juice a bit, but not too much. Taking into consideration the battery issues, would probably like to stay under 30-35W.

Question 2 then is: what's the lowest wattage I can possibly go below the 'rated' wattage of the coil? Will the mod allow me to do that? Let's say I want to vape that 0.4 Ohm at 20-25W, would that even be possible and if it is, would it be safe for the coil?

Question 3: what are some other suggested alternatives? I'd like a fairly compact pod system with replaceable coils, with 0.6-0.8 Ohm (possibly non-mesh) coils available, 1200mAh or more internal battery or replaceable 18650, at least 3-4ml pod capacity, IP rating would be nice, with coils that are known to last (don't wanna replace them every 3 days), USB-C is desirable. There's also a question of worldwide availability of coils since I'm currently in Thailand but should be travelling back to Ukraine some time next year. Aegis Boost Pro is a good example that fits everything above except for impedance; another thing I was looking at was Uwell Havok.

Thanks in advance!

1.PNG

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    @AngeNZ

I'd guess the Aegis Boost Plus would be a good choice. It's extremely similar to the Boost Pro which I have, but it uses the B-Series coils which range upwards to 1.2 ohms.
    Geek Vape Aegis Boost B Replacement Coils
    This was the first link I found on google, I didn't price shop around fyi - but just letting you know that this is what you'd be looking at. AngeNZ can fill you in on it more, as she's enjoyed it quite thoroughly so far.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Question 2 then is: what's the lowest wattage I can possibly go below the 'rated' wattage of the coil? Will the mod allow me to do that? Let's say I want to vape that 0.4 Ohm at 20-25W, would that even be possible and if it is, would it be safe for the coil?
    You can go as low as the mod will allow, which is usually like 5-7 watts. There's nothing unsafe about vaping at lower wattages, but you're going to get unpleasant gurgling and hot juice spat at you if you go too low. This is simply because the coil isn't getting hot enough to vaporize the juice, so you're just sucking in juice particles that have been heated up A LOT. You also aren't going to be getting much flavor, and very little to no vape cloud. You'll know when you're too low as opposed to a sweet spot.

Reactions: GwynBleidd
    I'd guess the Aegis Boost Plus would be a good choice. It's extremely similar to the Boost Pro which I have, but it uses the B-Series coils which range upwards to 1.2 ohms.
    Geek Vape Aegis Boost B Replacement Coils
    This was the first link I found on google, I didn't price shop around fyi - but just letting you know that this is what you'd be looking at. AngeNZ can fill you in on it more, as she's enjoyed it quite thoroughly so far.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for (as well as your 2nd reply)! It seems that the B type coils, as well as the Boost Plus pod (which you can also put on top the Boost Pro mod I think) is much harder to find where I am than the Pro/P series coils. Seems like Boost Pro is sadly not a good choice for me, based on your reply I'd guess that 20-25W would be way too low for a coil rated @ 50-60W.

Would you happen to perhaps suggest a few more alternatives from other vendors fitting into my description? There's plenty of Voopoo around but I've read lots about their leaking; there's also plenty of Smok but I heard quite some unpleasantries about them in general.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Right off the bat, the biggest obstacle you're facing is the IP67 rating if you're taking it into the water with you. You have to remember that even though the mod is IP67 rated, the tank/pod is not. So submerging it in water is likely going to mess up your coil, or at the very least, dilute it until all the water is flushed. Even so, I don't think I'd recommend you vaping unfiltered water.

The Boost Pro has coils that go up to 0.5 ohms, which is just shy of your target. I'm going to guess it's probably recommended for 40-50w. You should be okay at 25 watts for 0.5 ohms, I think. The P-Series coils are however mesh iirc, which I'm realizing now was something you weren't interested in. In my experience, it seems like mesh needs even less wattage than normal coils to fire properly. The closest coil I have to 0.5 is 0.3, and my OXVA Velocity pod mod is firing it just fine @ 25 watts. That's for a single wire RBA coil. For a better idea on this, I'd wait for a response from AngeNZ since she is/was going through a hefty pod mod phase and vapes RDL/MTL. She'd have a better idea on what you're probably looking for.

Another good option for you would be the Vandy Vape Jackaroo. It's IP67 rated and more or less has everything you're looking for. Vandy Vape Jackaroo Pod Review: A Jack of All Trades

As far as brands go, VooPoo does a good job at matching their mods with tanks intended specifically for that mod. If you're looking for a mod that can be used for everything, I wouldn't suggest it as they usually fall short in more eccentric builds - high ohm or dual coil builds. VooPoo pod mods are fairly decent, but again you're going to run into the IP67 issue.
    Smok has very good looking mods, but from the sounds of it, use cheaper components in their chips. As many people have stated in the past, they're good until they're not. I have 2 of their pod mods and while I like them, they leak. The coils last forever though. The Scar P3 and P5 are both IP67 rated, but be prepared to deal with faults.

@Z-Lee oh no, I worded it poorly, sorry :) I don't actually submerge it into the water lol, it's just sitting on a ledge close to the pool where sometimes it can take some occasional dripping/splashing, or accidental placement on top of a wet surface, or handling with wet hands.

Very good to know that your 0.3 is firing well at 25W, that sounds very reassuring, maybe I could use 0.4 at 25W after all (0.5 aren't readily available in here it seems).

Thanks for the other suggestions!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    So question 1 is, what the hell might that be? I had some accidental leaking inside the device, and I quite often swim in the pool/sea with the kid with the device sometimes catching some water drops from the bottom. Could the liquid/water damage be the reason for this kind of smell?

Could be burning electronic components but also could be the battery, so this could be a potential dangerous situation.

Question 3: what are some other suggested alternatives?

Might be worth checking out the Innokin Kroma Z pod system. Lots of people seem to like it. It goes from 6 watts to 40 watts with a 3000mah battery. Takes the Z coil which comes in higher ohms than 0.4 and the Zcoil is very popular around ECF.

Here's a link to Fasttech (China) because they usually have the best pics and specs, but you buy it wherever you want if you decide to try it.
    $37.88 Authentic Innokin Kroma-Z 40W 3000mAh VW Pod System Mod Kit - 4.5ml / 0.8ohm/0.3ohm / 6-40W at FastTech - Free Shipping

@UncleJunkle Thanks for the warning. It might have been my charging cable, I've just noticed today that the plastic/isolation on the usb-c jack has melted a bit, that's likely where the smell was coming from. I assume it could have been caused by the wet charging port causing some type of short circuit. Got new cable today just in case, but still want to replace the whole thing just in case.

I have looked at Innokin even before you suggested it, seems to be fairly popular around ECF, and I definitely like what I see; however, while I can order it, there's literally zero coil supply available locally either in Thailand or in Ukraine, don't wanna be limited to ordering coils from China :-( Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: Z-Lee

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Another quite tempting device would be Aegis Hero I suppose, it can take those 0.6 Ohm B-series coils and looks to tick all other boxes as well. The only thing is that it's microUSB I guess.

I've got an Aegis Boost Plus, but I also looked at the Aegis Hero first. I went for the Boost Plus as I knew at my 20-25watts, the small internal battery would drive me nuts. I much prefer being able to swap out a battery, than have to wait for a mod to charge.

The other advantage the Boost Plus has is you can get a 510 adapter for it - and it turns into an 18650 mod.

As for the B-series coils, I definitely recommend them. I get fantastic flavour with both the 0.6ohm and 0.4ohm, and they last.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    @AngeNZ Thanks! I ended up ordering Boost Pro, we'll see how it goes with the 0.4 coil - I like it too much not to try =) Will probably have to adjust my mix to lower nic and higher vg but that's been coming anyway. Will post my impressions when I try it in a few days.

If you find the 0.4 p-series coil doesn't give you enough flavour at the wattage you want to use it at, all is not lost. The Boost Pro is completely compatible with the Boost Plus pods.

So all you'd need to do is order one of these
    Geekvape Aegis Boost Plus Replacement Pod

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Haha, not really! Maybe the price difference between coils and rebuild kits will make me, we'll see :D (doubtful)
    I was once in your shoes. I thought, why would I want to make vaping any more difficult than it has to be? But now I get kind of giddy when I can sense a coil going bad. I find building the coil/deck to be rather therapeutic.

So, got the Geekvape Aegis Boost Pro - it's gorgeous! Super well built, sturdy, huge pod, extra drip tip etc etc - I suppose everyone knows about it already =)

Tried it with 0.4 coil @ 20W with my old mix (26.5mg 60VG) - well, as @Z-Lee predicted, the flavor and the vapor are well, meh (there is no spitting at all, and it actually evaporates liquid normally but both the flavor and the amount of vapor are greatly diminished). Switched mix to something around 15mg and 70VG, tried it at 30W - perfection! Like it very much so far.

Some pics for fun next to Tesla Invader GT, Uwell Caliburn and Eleaf iKonn 220/Lemo 3.

IMG_20210818_150802.jpg IMG_20210818_150842.jpg

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    So, got the Geekvape Aegis Boost Pro - it's gorgeous! Super well built, sturdy, huge pod, extra drip tip etc etc - I suppose everyone knows about it already =)
    This doesn't diminish its value as a new SHINY!
    Tried it with 0.4 coil @ 20W with my old mix (26.5mg 60VG) - well, as @Z-Lee predicted, the flavor and the vapor are well, meh (there is no spitting at all, and it actually evaporates liquid normally but both the flavor and the amount of vapor are greatly diminished). Switched mix to something around 15mg and 70VG, tried it at 30W - perfection! Like it very much so far.

Some pics for fun next to Tesla Invader GT, Uwell Caliburn and Eleaf iKonn 220/Lemo 3.
    That's great to hear! Because of this post and another regarding the Boost Pro, I actually pulled mine back out from sitting in the background. It's been idle for a month or two - I've been caught up with rebuildables for quite a while now. I'm at 1624 total puffs (probably 1100ish with the pod, and 500ish with the RBA adapter) and the original coil is still going strong. I'm vaping at 50w with the 0.2 ohm P-series coil, and was at 40w with the RBA. Hopefully you get the same performance out of your Boost Pro.

Reactions: GwynBleidd
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread