Interesting letter from Australian Givernment to me about ecig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Although not relevant to us yet in the states thought you may find it interesting-
(Going to Australia in January)

Obviously I'll post this in the Australian forum too.
H 12/72266
Mr. Charles Chalfant

Dear Mr. Chalfant

Thank you for your email to the NSW Ministry of Health concerning electronic cigarettes and liquid nicotine.
It is my understanding that the National Drugs and Poisons Schedule Committee of the Therapeutic Goods Administration has confirmed that nicotine in an electronic cigarette is a Schedule 7 poison under the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Drugs and Poisons.
NSW classifies the vast majority of drugs and poisons in accordance with this Standard, including nicotine in an electronic cigarette which is a Schedule 7 poison in NSW.
The Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2008 prohibits anyone from supplying, obtaining or using any Schedule 7 poison for domestic use, without prior written authority from the Director-General of NSW Ministry of Health.

To date, no person in NSW has been provided with an Authority under the Regulation.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration released a statement in May 2011 which noted that some overseas studies suggest that electronic cigarettes may be dangerous, delivering unreliable doses of nicotine (above or below the stated quantity), or containing toxic chemicals or carcinogens, or leaking nicotine. Leaked nicotine is a poisoning hazard for the user of electronic cigarettes, as well as others around them, particularly children. The Therapeutic Goods Administration's statement concluded that electronic cigarettes should not be considered a safe product, or a suitable aid to quitting smoking. You may be interested to see the Therapeutic Goods Administration's statement which can be found at:
http://www.tqa.gov.au/consumers/ecigarettes.htm.
For information relating to the importation of electronic cigarettes and liquid nicotine, please contact the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing on 1800 020 103.
Thank you again for your correspondence. Should you have any further enquiries in relation to tobacco control, please contact the tobacco Information Line on 1800 357 412.

Yours sincerely,
Peta Lucas
Manager
Strategic and Regulatory Policy
NSW Ministry of Health
ABN 92 697 899 630
73 Miller Street North Sydney NSW 2060
Locked Mail Bag 961 North Sydney NSW 2059
Tel (02) 9391 9000 Fax (02) 9391 9101
Website NSW Ministry of Health

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Meanwhile, tobacco cigarettes, which also contain the "Schedule 7 poison" nicotine; are KNOWN to be dangerous to people's health; contain toxic chemicals and carcinogens; and are already a poisoning hazard to children are perfectly legal to sell in Australia. Sure, it makes perfect sense to instead ban a product with no harmful levels of toxic chemical or carcinogens; no reports of any child poisonings or any other significant adverse affects in the 9 years they've been on the market and have been helping people NOT expose themselves to smoke, just because it contains nicotine (a "poison" also found legally in nicotine cessation products that pose the exact same " potential hazards" but are generally considered to be safe.)

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Charlie, I have been importing eliquids from the US and China for personal use for nearly a year and have never had a shipment seized. If you are traveling here you will have to bring plenty of eliquid to last you the length of your trip. Be aware though, there are plenty of great hardware vendors if you need cartos or batteries or such. PM me if you want a list.
Where in Aus will you be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread