IMPORTANT - email from FDA to a supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
For what it's worth...the FDA legislation is about tobacco. The "nicotine delivery devices" or PVs fall under the medical device provisions. ;) Different statutes.

But unfortunatley, as a "medical device" the ecig may well be more likely to be killed off by the FDA, than as a simple tobacco derived alternative to cigarettes.

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
But unfortunatley, as a "medical device" the ecig may well be more likely to be killed off by the FDA, than as a simple tobacco derived alternative to cigarettes.

I was only differentiating between the 2 seperate issues before the FDA. One is geared towards tobacco and has not been enacted to empower the FDA's regulating (yet). But the FDA does have jurisdiction of non-tobacco products that contain nicotine, a tobacco derivitive. The other, and more troubling, is the statutes in place for medical devices, of which the the e-cig has been purported to be based on the delivery of nicotine, not tobacco.

There are many personal vaporers on the market because the requisite red tape was fielded by filings with the FDA. Jumping thru hoops may be the more operative word here but there is a case to be made that nicotine via these devices are more harmful than NRT or vitamin inhalation.

I personally would love to see the e-cig be grandfathered in with cigarettes in the FDA bill as a smoking alternative but unfortunately the health claims got the attention of the FDA. In my humble opinion, they were forced to act on e-cigs. ;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
health claims got the attention of the FDA. In my humble opinion, they were forced to act on e-cigs.

You are so right. Former commissioner (and vehement smoking opponent) David Kessler wrote a book about his experiences, and he notes how two candy bars containing sugar could be treated. If one makes health claims of any type, the FDA could jump in, ban it until studies are made to substantiate the health claims for sugar, etc.

The other identical candy bar could remain on sale.

We have recently seen just such action, when the FDA challenged Cheerios for cholesterol reduction statements on packagaing. It had every right to do so, took a proper action, and doesn't deserve the jeers so many uninformed posters made.

E-cig sellers shot themselves in the foot long ago, giving the FDA all it needs for a ban. It's too late to recall statements made months ago (and still being made on some irresponsbile Web sites). Frankly, these e-smoking products should have always been sold as a novelty to replicate cigarette smoking. Let word-of-mouth do the rest for you.

But it's too late now and I hear the sound of "Taps" starting.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
We have recently seen just such action, when the FDA challenged Cheerios for cholesterol reduction statements on packagaing. It had every right to do so, took a proper action, and doesn't deserve the jeers so many uninformed posters made.

Have you seen the health claims made by Nutrisystem for the Diabetes program? How would the FDA see this when it's a combination of foods?

• Lost 16 times more weight
  • Lowered blood sugar levels 5 times more
  • Lowered A1C by 0.9
  • Lowered total cholesterol level by 44.7
  • Lowered triglycerides level by 44.7 mg
I don't see how this is any less significant than the claim made on the box of cheerios.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
Have you seen the health claims made by Nutrisystem for the Diabetes program? How would the FDA see this when it's a combination of foods?

• Lost 16 times more weight
  • Lowered blood sugar levels 5 times more
  • Lowered A1C by 0.9
  • Lowered total cholesterol level by 44.7
  • Lowered triglycerides level by 44.7 mg
I don't see how this is any less significant than the claim made on the box of cheerios.

Nevermind, I just enlightened myself...these claims can be made as long as they are part of a complete diet that does so. Duh! Yes, Bob, I'm one of the uninformed, but I'm working on it.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
Look, we can only guess that they have studies to back up claims. If not, they deserve a citation for making false claims.

If you claim a health benefit, be prepared to prove it with scientifically acceptable studies.
Sorry, Bob...I went and read sections of the FD&C Act and then read the warning letter to cheerios and it made perfect sense. Cheerios was a little deceptive in the way the labeled their box. I quoted myself in the above post and corrected my mistake.

Last edited:

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
I was only differentiating between the 2 seperate issues before the FDA. One is geared towards tobacco and has not been enacted to empower the FDA's regulating (yet). But the FDA does have jurisdiction of non-tobacco products that contain nicotine, a tobacco derivitive. The other, and more troubling, is the statutes in place for medical devices, of which the the e-cig has been purported to be based on the delivery of nicotine, not tobacco.

;)
Hi ladyraj,

I'm really confused over nicotine being a non-tobacco product when it's a tobacco derivative. Section 101 of the new bill states this:

(a) Definition of Tobacco Products- Section 201 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 321) is amended by adding at the end the following:
http://www.govtrack.us/embed/sample-billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:112http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:112
‘(rr)(1) The term ‘tobacco product’ means any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product (except for raw materials other than tobacco used in manufacturing a component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product).

http://www.govtrack.us/embed/sample-billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:113http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:113
‘(2) The term ‘tobacco product’ does not mean an article that is a drug under subsection (g)(1), a device under subsection (h), or a combination product described in section 503(g).

http://www.govtrack.us/embed/sample-billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:114http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:114
‘(3) The products described in paragraph (2) shall be subject to chapter V of this Act.

http://www.govtrack.us/embed/sample-billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:115http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-982&version=is&nid=t0:is:115
‘(4) A tobacco product shall not be marketed in combination with any other article or product regulated under this Act (including a drug, biologic, food, cosmetic, medical device, or a dietary supplement).’

This is so vague to me because nicotine is derived from tobacco but it's not a tobacco product because it can be classified as a drug under subsection (g)(1) because of the health claims it made (B), or is it a drug under any other of section (g)(1)?

(g)(1) The term "drug" means (A) articles recognized in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, or official National Formulary, or any supplement to any of them; and (B) articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or other animals; and (C) articles (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals; and (D) articles intended for use as a component of any article specified in clause (A), (B), or (C). A food or dietary supplement for which a claim, subject to sections 403(r)(1)(B) and 403(r)(3) or sections 403(r)(1)(B) and 403(r)(5)(D), is made in accordance with the requirements of section 403(r) is not a drug solely because the label or the labeling contains such a claim. A food, dietary ingredient, or dietary supplement for which a truthful and not misleading statement is made in accordance with section 403(r)(6) is not a drug under clause (C) solely because the label or the labeling contains such a statement.

This is so confusing...

Edit: What really gets me is that nicotine is a legal drug. If there was a safer way to get alcohol without the harmful effects on the liver, such as vaping it, would this even be happening? It seems so absurd because alcohol could be classified as a drug above (g)(1) also if nicotine can. Maybe it's just the health claims all along? If so, why all the fuss?

Last edited:

Bones

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2009
Austin, Texas
It'll all work out ok -

Personally I'd rather deal with the FDA than the ATF -
At least the FDA never burned down a house full of kids -

Just imagine -

There you are happily puffing away and a flame-throwing tank drives through your wall. Then a wild-eyed ATF agent points a gun at your head shouting -

"PUT DOWN THAT JANTYSTICK .......!"

LMAO - ahhh - I kill me - gotta keep a sense of humor about it -

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
It is confusing, Smokin'Sandy. No question. There has been disagreement on this forum, and now in the courts, on exactly where the electronic cigarette fits in the marketplace.

If it's a drug product, the FDA already claims authority over it. If it's a tobacco product, then the FDA will have authority once the new bill now in the Senate is signed into law.

Either way, we e-smokers are in for a bumpy ride.

As a "new drug", the liquid and device will need required safety and efficacy studies. But some makers, notably Ruyan, have been at work on those needed studies. Ruyan has almost said (but hasn't) that it will attempt to get the e-cig certified as a Nicotine Replacement Therapy product.

That's an interesting route, and it might mean that only three months of study is needed, rather than years. Ninety days is the normal time prescribed for NRT products. Are they used that way? No. We all know people who have chewed nicotine gum for years. A former boss of mine has sucked nicotine lozenges for about five years now. But smoking cessation products are meant for three months of use before quitting cigarettes completely.

If we e-cig users quit cigarettes, but continue using our NRT product, well, so what? Same thing happens with other NRTs.

Now, if we're a tobacco product, the prospect of market success diminishes, in my opinion. We will be a "new product" and face an FDA subcommittee of scientists who must approve each new product. The word from Senators is that new products have no chance of approval. E-cigs will be rejected.

Course, if Philip Morris wants approval of its Aria nicotine inhaler ... that's another story. If Big Pharma comes up with medicinal nicotine liquid and a delivery system that vaporizes that liquid .. that's another story. If Altria buys Janty, nJoy, Crown7 and Smoking Everywhere .. that's another story.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that we have no idea what is being done behind Washington's closed doors. But you can bet that plenty is. Lobbying must be 24/7. There is too much money at stake here not to go all out, if you're Big Pharma or Big Tobacco. This is a sizable chunk of future revenues hanging on actions now.

A ban today is a profit tomorrow.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I see NO HOPE for unregulated e-liquid. From China. Even the words are scary.

I'm not familiar with any source of information telling us where manufacturers are in the process of seeking approval. And the FDA said such information is privileged between applicant and agency. So they won't put it on the Web. And manufacturers are an uncommunicative bunch if ever one existed.
Check on Johnson Creek juice website, they are FDA approved. Do not know or understand what the implications are, but they do have to stand down for inspections. It more than likely is given for the use of Proylene Glycol. At any rate, the certificate is displayed.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
It is confusing, Smokin'Sandy. No question. There has been disagreement on this forum, and now in the courts, on exactly where the electronic cigarette fits in the marketplace.

If it's a drug product, the FDA already claims authority over it. If it's a tobacco product, then the FDA will have authority once the new bill now in the Senate is signed into law.

Either way, we e-smokers are in for a bumpy ride.

As a "new drug", the liquid and device will need required safety and efficacy studies. But some makers, notably Ruyan, have been at work on those needed studies. Ruyan has almost said (but hasn't) that it will attempt to get the e-cig certified as a Nicotine Replacement Therapy product.

That's an interesting route, and it might mean that only three months of study is needed, rather than years. Ninety days is the normal time prescribed for NRT products. Are they used that way? No. We all know people who have chewed nicotine gum for years. A former boss of mine has sucked nicotine lozenges for about five years now. But smoking cessation products are meant for three months of use before quitting cigarettes completely.

If we e-cig users quit cigarettes, but continue using our NRT product, well, so what? Same thing happens with other NRTs.

Now, if we're a tobacco product, the prospect of market success diminishes, in my opinion. We will be a "new product" and face an FDA subcommittee of scientists who must approve each new product. The word from Senators is that new products have no chance of approval. E-cigs will be rejected.

Course, if Philip Morris wants approval of its Aria nicotine inhaler ... that's another story. If Big Pharma comes up with medicinal nicotine liquid and a delivery system that vaporizes that liquid .. that's another story. If Altria buys Janty, nJoy, Crown7 and Smoking Everywhere .. that's another story.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that we have no idea what is being done behind Washington's closed doors. But you can bet that plenty is. Lobbying must be 24/7. There is too much money at stake here not to go all out, if you're Big Pharma or Big Tobacco. This is a sizable chunk of future revenues hanging on actions now.

A ban today is a profit tomorrow.
Thank you Bob. Yes, I was thinking along those lines also, but I couldn't decide which would take more time to get approved; NRT or a reduced harm tobacco product. From what you say about Ruyan, NRT may be the way to go. I can always go the Walgreens and open a charge account so I can afford the liquid. :D Really though, as long as they stay legal, I'll be okay with it.

I'm pretty sure behind those closed doors there are many people that could probably be called Corporatists. With Phillip Morris behind those doors also, I have little doubt that there will be an introduction of a nicotine inhaler from their R&D department.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
With Phillip Morris behind those doors also, I have little doubt that there will be an introduction of a nicotine inhaler from their R&D department.

Bank on it. I don't think there's any doubt that the cigarette lobby understands that vaporizers are the future of smoking. It's highly likely that all the big tobacco producers have had products like these waiting in the wings for decades. They support banning the current crop of e-cigarettes because they're not getting their cut. A ban on them will inevitably lead to RJR, PM and the others releasing their own version of the e-cigarette in due course. And it'll probably be more expensive, filled with chemical additives and featuring completely disposable consumables that clutter up the environment and aren't refillable. If e-cigarettes had been introduced by a US company rather than a Chinese one, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
Bank on it. I don't think there's any doubt that the cigarette lobby understands that vaporizers are the future of smoking. It's highly likely that all the big tobacco producers have had products like these waiting in the wings for decades. They support banning the current crop of e-cigarettes because they're not getting their cut. A ban on them will inevitably lead to RJR, PM and the others releasing their own version of the e-cigarette in due course. And it'll probably be more expensive, filled with chemical additives and featuring completely disposable consumables that clutter up the environment and aren't refillable. If e-cigarettes had been introduced by a US company rather than a Chinese one, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Ahhhh, the American Way. What would we do without it? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread