smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Is there a product that does what menthol does without causing the health issues of menthol? I assumed there was but I could be wrong here
    Hey bomb. You might want to redirect your question to the appropriate subforum.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    Hey bomb. You might want to redirect your question to the appropriate subforum.

Thought I did. Which subforum are you seeing here? I thought it was Law & e-cigarettes. It applies there because apparently Biden is looking at making menthol illegal because of health stuff. If there is a non health damaging alternative that matters.

Reactions: smacuser

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Thought I did. Which subforum are you seeing here? I thought it was Law & e-cigarettes. It applies there because apparently Biden is looking at making menthol illegal because of health stuff. If there is a non health damaging alternative that matters.
    lol. That extra bit of information makes a difference. I thought maybe you were allergic to menthol.

We’re talking about eliquid, right? I wasn’t aware menthol eliquid was on the table.

I never used menthol, but there are several alternatives I’ve heard through the years; mint, Koolada, WS-23. I believe they get close, but not exact. The last two are more like cooling agents.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    lol. That extra bit of information makes a difference. I thought maybe you were allergic to menthol.

We’re talking about eliquid, right? I wasn’t aware menthol eliquid was on the table.

I never used menthol, but there are several alternatives I’ve heard through the years; mint, Koolada, WS-23. I believe they get close, but not exact. The last two are more like cooling agents.
    Just ran into a thing that said it was. I knew it was on the table on a city and state basis but I didn’t know nationally until just recently. If the cooling effect of menthol can be done without the health effects it may make the difference. Go ahead and make menthol illegal then. The other non-damaging stuff can be used instead and everyone can just keep going.

• Agree
    Reactions: smacuser

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    Just ran into a thing that said it was. I knew it was on the table on a city and state basis but I didn’t know nationally until just recently. If the cooling effect of menthol can be done without the health effects it may make the difference. Go ahead and make menthol illegal then. The other non-damaging stuff can be used instead and everyone can just keep going.
    I think they are targeting the combustibles primarily, but it could hit the liquids for similar reasons. I was a menthol smoker (V Slims only) and preferred them over the regular tobaccos. I couldn't handle the menthol blend in RJR or the others because it was just too harsh. The claim is, and I may believe them, that the menthol additive makes it easier to tolerate the smoke from regular cigarettes because it cools the throat and makes a more pleasant taste, thus making it easier to addict someone. I've heard from other smokers that the menthol itself can be addictive, so it is harder to quit the cigarettes and the menthol at the same time..

When I was starting vaping, I tried the menthol liquids, but found they were too much like RJR and made me feel the same nausea as the RJR smokes. I don't like any mint flavors in anything (like candy and food) other than wintergreen. Fruits were the key to my accidental quitting.

I think the do-gooders are lumping in all of the minty flavors for smokes and juice in their efforts to reform all the nicotine addicts. As never smokers, they don't realize that different products do have subtle differences in flavor, and that vapes don't really taste "just like" cigarettes. If they succeed in making the non-combustible products so unpleasant to force folks back to the Winston/Camel/Marlboro smokes, everybody wins. <--snark

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I think they are targeting the combustibles primarily, but it could hit the liquids for similar reasons. I was a menthol smoker (V Slims only) and preferred them over the regular tobaccos. I couldn't handle the menthol blend in RJR or the others because it was just too harsh. The claim is, and I may believe them, that the menthol additive makes it easier to tolerate the smoke from regular cigarettes because it cools the throat and makes a more pleasant taste, thus making it easier to addict someone. I've heard from other smokers that the menthol itself can be addictive, so it is harder to quit the cigarettes and the menthol at the same time..

When I was starting vaping, I tried the menthol liquids, but found they were too much like RJR and made me feel the same nausea as the RJR smokes. I don't like any mint flavors in anything (like candy and food) other than wintergreen. Fruits were the key to my accidental quitting.

I think the do-gooders are lumping in all of the minty flavors for smokes and juice in their efforts to reform all the nicotine addicts. As never smokers, they don't realize that different products do have subtle differences in flavor, and that vapes don't really taste "just like" cigarettes. If they succeed in making the non-combustible products so unpleasant to force folks back to the Winston/Camel/Marlboro smokes, everybody wins. <--snark
    The issue is menthol is a crop. The plant has to be grown and if it is made illegal even just for combustibles (which I think unlikely. If they do it they’ll likely do both. It’s too easy) the stuff may become unavailable or wildly expensive anyway. It also goes into some medical stuff like cough drops, but cigarettes dwarf eliquid sales. As to the dangers of menthol itself, I smoked newports for a while and I coughed up blue. I believe. My understanding is the tar and stuff is so bad for you that menthol issues more or less got lost in the noise and were only really noticed when e-cigs came out because they’re so much less bad for you. Just like nicotine addiction isn’t reduced though menthol problems were not reduced. What makes it a hot potato though is the ethnic aspect. Most black smokers smoke menthol cigarettes, so making menthol cigs illegal affects that group (which normally votes heavily Dem) disproportionally affected. E-cigs are more or less just collateral damage. If there is something that DOESN’T do it though, both mentholated cigarettes and eliquid could move to it and it becomes a non-problem.

Last edited:

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    The issue is menthol is a crop. The plant has to be grown and if it is made illegal even just for combustibles (which I think unlikely. If they do it they’ll likely do both. It’s too easy) the stuff may become unavailable or wildly expensive anyway. It also goes into some medical stuff like cough drops, but cigarettes dwarf eliquid sales. As to the dangers of menthol itself, I smoked newports for a while and I coughed up blue. I believe. My understanding is the tar and stuff is so bad for you that menthol issues more or less got lost in the noise and were only really noticed when e-cigs came out because they’re so much less bad for you. Just like nicotine addiction isn’t reduced though menthol problems were not reduced. What makes it a hot potato though is the ethnic aspect. Most black smokers smoke menthol cigarettes, so making menthol cigs illegal affects that group (which normally votes heavily Dem) disproportionally affected. E-cigs are more or less just collateral damage. If there is something that DOESN’T do it though, both mentholated cigarettes and eliquid could move to it and it becomes a non-problem.
    If they try to pick a menthol substitute, they run smack dab into the PMTA and new product issue for post 2009 products. I think they have to keep with the original recipes to keep selling their menthol cigs. I think the other mints would be considered flavors for tobacco and already banned along with the clove and other smokes.

I had heard stories that some of the heavier mentholated cigarettes would cause lung crystals, but I never knew if that was reality or myth. The V Slims and other PM menthols were much milder than the other brands, but even within PM, I thought that V Slims was lighter than B&H.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    If they try to pick a menthol substitute, they run smack dab into the PMTA and new product issue for post 2009 products. I think they have to keep with the original recipes to keep selling their menthol cigs. I think the other mints would be considered flavors for tobacco and already banned along with the clove and other smokes.

I had heard stories that some of the heavier mentholated cigarettes would cause lung crystals, but I never knew if that was reality or myth. The V Slims and other PM menthols were much milder than the other brands, but even within PM, I thought that V Slims was lighter than B&H.
    I smoked newports for a bit till I coughed up blue. I believe. Might not happen to everyone. I was a real cigarette wimp though. I smoked for only 3 years and literally had to stop. emphysema and bronchitis would have gotten me before cancer had time to. “Take a puff and be sick as a dog for a week” does make it a lot easier to quit.

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023

There may have been one made long before then. Most of the research on such stuff was likely done by the cogarette companies in the 70’s &80’s. It was just never released because it was never totally “finished” though the results of such stuff was still known, if only to those companies. It’s what goves them the ability to cook the books on “research”. If you already know how something acts you can carefully set up a study to appear to point to whatever you want. Iirc that Italian thing from some years ago where there was one university that didn’t require disclosure of who paid for and designed a study that all-of-a-sudden started releasing all these “studies” on e-cigs that, surprise surprise, were negative. They’ve been the major proponents of ecig FUD for many years.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    The issue is menthol is a crop. The plant has to be grown and if it is made illegal ...
    Funny, I've never heard of a plant called "menthol".

According to Wikipedia:
    Menthol is an organic compound, more specifically a monoterpenoid, made synthetically or obtained from the oils of corn mint, peppermint, or other mints.

Reactions: Nermal

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Reactions: Letitia

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Funny, I've never heard of a plant called "menthol".

According to Wikipedia:
    Menthol is an organic compound, more specifically a monoterpenoid, made synthetically or obtained from the oils of corn mint, peppermint, or other mints.

Cuz there isn't. Menthol is extracted from the mint plant and the variations of mint plants, like peppermint plant and and whatnot. It's also synthesized.

• Agree
    Reactions: Rossum

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    I forget what plant it’s refined from eucalyptus or something. There are plots grown just to make menthol though.
    You might be thinking of the Halls throat drops, Honey Menthol Eucalyptus. I never knew where menthol came from, but I never associated it with mint plants or mint flavor. There are a lot of different kinds of mint plants, so between natural and synthetic flavorings, there could be a specific breed of plant that makes the characteristic menthol flavor rather than spearmint, peppermint, cat mint, etc.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You might be thinking of the Halls throat drops, Honey Menthol Eucalyptus. I never knew where menthol came from, but I never associated it with mint plants or mint flavor. There are a lot of different kinds of mint plants, so between natural and synthetic flavorings, there could be a specific breed of plant that makes the characteristic menthol flavor rather than spearmint, peppermint, cat mint, etc.

If you search google, you'll find that menthol is naturally derived from the Mint family of plants. Menthol isn't really a flavor., tho. It doesn't taste like the mint family of plants that contain it, it's merely the part that provides the cooling sensation. I'm sure that in high concentration you may actually get a flavor which would probably not be great lol, but in normal concentrations it's just a feeling.

Like Coolada and Koolada. They have no real "flavor" but they provide that cooling menthol sensation to your juice. I don't know if either of those actually use menthol. I have a bottle of Coolada and all the label lists for ingredients is "Propylene glycol USP and flavoring substances" :rolleyes:

As for methol cigs, they ain't going anywhere, like the last 500 times this ban was supposed to happen. If it does happen on the 501st time, my link above shows (as well as other sources) that big tobacco is already fixing to use synthetic menthol to skirt the ban, which would likely take another 501 attempts to get that banned. lol

As for a general menthol ban, I found nowhere in google that mentioned anything about menthol being banned in general so I'm not sure where that come from.

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    If you search google, you'll find that menthol is naturally derived from the Mint family of plants. Menthol isn't really a flavor., tho. It doesn't taste like the mint family of plants that contain it, it's merely the part that provides the cooling sensation. I'm sure that in high concentration you may actually get a flavor which would probably not be great lol, but in normal concentrations it's just a feeling.

Like Coolada and Koolada. They have no real "flavor" but they provide that cooling menthol sensation to your juice. I don't know if either of those actually use menthol. I have a bottle of Coolada and all the label lists for ingredients is "Propylene glycol USP and flavoring substances" :rolleyes:

As for methol cigs, they ain't going anywhere, like the last 500 times this ban was supposed to happen. If it does happen on the 501st time, my link above shows (as well as other sources) that big tobacco is already fixing to use synthetic menthol to skirt the ban, which would likely take another 501 attempts to get that banned. lol

As for a general menthol ban, I found nowhere in google that mentioned anything about menthol being banned in general so I'm not sure where that come from.
    I've only seen menthol bans referring to cigarettes.

There are other products that use "menthol" scent or flavor that would still be around, such as the cough drops, Vicks vapo-rub and some other things that have nothing to do with smoking. I would not be surprised if it is a combination of ingredients besides the terpenes from the mint plants because there are so many variations in how menthol products taste or smell.

Users who are viewing this thread