If this a good,safe charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Back in the day, wasn't the "remote" sending one of the kids over to the TV (with a pair of pliers to turn the shaft, since the knob was long gone), to change the channel?

We didn't have an antenna rotator when I was a kid. If we switched from Atlanta stations to Columbus stations I had to go up on the roof and unlock a bolt to turn the antenna mast. Dad wouldn't pay for an antenna rotor.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just ordered the D2 and now is you guys talking about it can charge other batteries! I have some rechargable ni-mh panasonic ones and its possible to charge those as well? That would be a great bonus!! I have 2 kids and man they go through batteries!

The D2 will charge Li-Mn batts from AAAA to C size. I charge several AAA Li-Mn every week in my Nitecore i4 for my guitar wireless belt pack transmitter.

Reactions: Breezy Dawn

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
We didn't have an antenna rotator when I was a kid. If we switched from Atlanta stations to Columbus stations I had to go up on the roof and unlock a bolt to turn the antenna mast. Dad wouldn't pay for an antenna rotor.
Probably walked to school too. Two miles. Uphill both ways...
:lol:

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
I know this is a stupid question but ive asked so many already why stop now? The box doesnt mention my battery?? Samsung INR 25R is ok for the Nitecore D2 right? So what is this batt? Is it Li-on or some other? When i bought these i asked what to get for my kbox nano and i got them based on advice here,but i dont even know what kind they are, I am ashamed to say I see lithium-ion so thats the LI-ON?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I know this is a stupid question but ive asked so many already why stop now? The box doesnt mention my battery?? Samsung INR 25R is ok for the Nitecore D2 right? So what is this batt? Is it Li-on or some other? When i bought these i asked what to get for my kbox nano and i got them based on advice here,but i dont even know what kind they are, I am ashamed to say I see lithium-ion so thats the LI-ON?

The Samsung 25R will work. Any 18650 will work. After the INR it will say 18650 and it's a Lithium battery. The charger slides are spring loaded and will fit all sizes of commonly used Lithium (L-ion) and Nickel-Metal-Hydride (Ni-mh).

The Samsung is one of the better 18650's and most vape shops sell them. It's a good battery that lots of people here on ECF swear by. I rotate 3 matched and paired sets in my 200W mod. The Samsung 25R, Sony VCT4, and (shudder) a pair of Efest purple 18650's. I wouldn't admit the Efests, but I married them new and they have demonstrated matched performance similar to the Sony and Samsung. I vape at 10W, so I'm not worried about stressing them out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eskie

newvaper92

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Jackson, Michigan
I have the i2 and have been using it for almost a year with no issues at all, my only complaints are that is gets rather hot while charging, and the cord is getting a bit kinked (that one is probably partially my fault, I don't usually wrap it properly when packing to go somewhere, just shove it in my bag) but it still charges perfectly. Think it was only about $12.

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
The Samsung 25R will work. Any 18650 will work. After the INR it will say 18650 and it's a Lithium battery. The charger slides are spring loaded and will fit all sizes of commonly used Lithium (L-ion) and Nickel-Metal-Hydride (Ni-mh).

The Samsung is one of the better 18650's and most vape shops sell them. It's a good battery that lots of people here on ECF swear by. I rotate 3 matched and paired sets in my 200W mod. The Samsung 25R, Sony VCT4, and (shudder) a pair of Efest purple 18650's. I wouldn't admit the Efests, but I married them new and they have demonstrated matched performance similar to the Sony and Samsung. I vape at 10W, so I'm not worried about stressing them out.
I was very scared to even start with the few mods i have just because they take the outside batts because im just paranoid like that lol. Seen how things can happen so i got advice here and went by that. I dont put any strain on my batts vaping around 10 watts so i feel pretty safe now but the charger is new to me,so back here for advise i came! I do think its going into the utility room still,lol. If something goes wrong i can toss it outside fast :thumb:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was very scared to even start with the few mods i have just because they take the outside batts because im just paranoid like that lol. Seen how things can happen so i got advice here and went by that. I dont put any strain on my batts vaping around 10 watts so i feel pretty safe now but the charger is new to me,so back here for advise i came! I do think its going into the utility room still,lol. If something goes wrong i can toss it outside fast :thumb:

You will be fine. Inspect the plastic wrap around the battery frequently to make sure the wrap hasn't cracked and exposed the metal case of the battery. If you see cracks in the wrapping you can buy new battery wraps for about 15 cents apiece. I get mine from Kidney Puncher. You just cut them to length, slide them on the battery, heat it with a hair dryer for about 15 seconds to shrink it in place, and you are done.

Give your batteries a rest after charging to allow them to cool and stabilize. I always have spares to rotate so that the one out of the charger gets rested before use. Buy some plastic 18650 storage boxes to keep them from contacting metal and shorting. They are under a dollar for a two battery box.

Most mods with built in batteries use the same as the ones with replaceable batteries, although there are some newer ones out that use flat packs like your cell phone. The only difference with a mod that uses replaceable batteries is that you have to take them out and charge them externally instead of plugging the mod into a USB charger.

Last edited:
Most mods with built in batteries use the same as the ones with replaceable batteries, although there are some newer ones out that use flat packs like your cell phone. The only difference with a mod that uses replaceable batteries is that you have to take them out and charge them externally instead of plugging the mod into a USB charger.

A lot of the mods with removeable batteries can also be charged via the USB cord.
I use the Reuleaux RX 200 and eLeaf TC100W mods. Both can be charged by USB cable. In fact, that was one of my requirements. I am an over the road truck driver. The thought of a battery charger falling and scattering two or three batteries (I only charge one mod's batteries at a time) did not sound like "fun" to me. Also, I was not eager to spend the money for an external charger - I can get another tank for what a good charger sells for.
I did break down and buy an external charger. I THINK I have it set up to where it will not take a fall. Team truck, so charging while parked to reset my daily clock is not an option. While I sleep, co-driver is keeping us rolling (and vicie-versey).
I like the external charger, it IS about 10% faster than using the USB cable and ciggy plug adapter, plus I'm assured all the batteries in a set are charged to the same point.

I'd look at the Xtar VC4 for $21.75 before buying the one you are looking at. It's a 4 bay charger that charges L-ion and also charges Li-Mn batteries. It also has a digital display that's switchable between pairs of bays. I like the speedometer style charging indicator. This one will be my next purchase. I have the Nitecore i4 and the Efest LUC 4, but this one will tell me more about the voltage level of married pairs of batteries.

Amazon.com: XTAR VC4 Charger for Lithium-ion and Ni-MH Batteries (Authentic USA Version): Sports & Outdoors

41b0WW-cmDL._SX450_.jpg

712dd8kPKZL._SL1235_.jpg

Those reasons and the fact that it can recover batteries discharged below most chargers is why I bought one.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I have 2 nitecore i4s and they both work fine at nearly 3 years old. I bought 2 at the same time to have a backup. You can never have too many backups with this hobby although I will say it's gotten pretty easy with reliable mods and high mah cells.

I'm partial to illumn.com for li-on cells. If you buy them in 2s they add battery cases for free. Ive stuck with lg hg2 3000mah and have 10 of them. At 6 bucks a shot it's hard to buy anything else. I vape at 20 watts or less so even 10 amps continuous never happens.

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
Columbus, OH
I just ordered the D2 and now is you guys talking about it can charge other batteries! I have some rechargable ni-mh panasonic ones and its possible to charge those as well? That would be a great bonus!! I have 2 kids and man they go through batteries!
Does great on nimh cells, yes.

Btw ALL. There are a lot of fake Nitecore chargers. Make sure the one you get has the scratch off verification code.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
A dead battery may take up to 5 hours to charge, longer depending on your charger and how many mA it is charging at. It's also possible the battery is dead, as if it is discharged below a certain voltage (~2.3-2.5 V) it will no longer accept a charge (some chargers claim to resurrect such dead batteries, but I've never tried it). Just leave it plugged in, come back in 3 hours, and see what's up.

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
A dead battery may take up to 5 hours to charge, longer depending on your charger and how many mA it is charging at. It's also possible the battery is dead, as if it is discharged below a certain voltage (~2.3-2.5 V) it will no longer accept a charge (some chargers claim to resurrect such dead batteries, but I've never tried it). Just leave it plugged in, come back in 3 hours, and see what's up.
Will do and thanks. That battery has sat along time unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread