Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Pictures don't do it justice... Could probably use a bit more polishing...

I'm pretty happy with it!

Polished-ProVari-3_zps54674453.jpg

Polished-ProVari-4_zps51e6d773.jpg

Polished-ProVari-5_zps672a724f.jpg

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Talked to the powder coat folks today... $40 for red, no satins, only glossy (booo) and $60 for transparent red, where the polished stainless shines through the transparent color. That would probably be hot...

Any thoughts?

Should I go for the transparent red? Or leave it as polished stainless steel?

Unfortunately this is a minimum fee... I could get 10 of them done, and it would still be $60 for transparent red...

So if I do anything, I'll probably be getting the ProVari, Vamo, and Chi Chi all done the same color at the same time... So I at least feel like I saved some money LoL

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I would have to actually see the transparent red before commenting one way or another. I say leave as is (looks good) or the gloss. How many coats does he apply and how durable is it? At least with the stainless, you can always buff out the scratches that inevitably happen.

And having said that, I've always wanted a red Provari...:p

red Provari.jpg

Last edited:

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I second that! That rim looks gorgeous!

It is, isn't it... I wasn't sure at first, but the more I stare at that thing, and then look at my ProVari... And then look back at the wheel, and then back at my ProVari... Trying to envision my ProVari being that color...

And then achieving spontaneous lower extremety excitement...

Haha! It is nice looking for sure... I'll be sad, it takes 10 days to get it back :/

If I take the ProVari, Vamo, and Chi Chi and have them all done together, it'll be like a matching family of hotness...

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
It is, isn't it... I wasn't sure at first, but the more I stare at that thing, and then look at my ProVari... And then look back at the wheel, and then back at my ProVari... Trying to envision my ProVari being that color...

And then achieving spontaneous lower extremety excitement...

Haha! It is nice looking for sure... I'll be sad, it takes 10 days to get it back :/

If I take the ProVari, Vamo, and Chi Chi and have them all done together, it'll be like a matching family of hotness...

In the unlikely event that someone steals it, having them painted that color would DEFINITELY help as well. Just one of the added benefits of customization.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Ive thought about buying a cheap v1 off the classies and having this done....in green though :)

That's exactly what I did with this one :)

Bought it as a V1 satin silver that was very worn for $100 with extension cap... ProVape Upgraded to V2 for $20... ProVape Replaced the top cap for $15... All the finish work done so far in this thread has been free...

So for now it's $135 invested and it looks great as is... So I'm juggling the powder coat idea, cause it will bring it into the price range of a new one, but a lot more unique...

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
who's taking it apart before powder coating?

Me

It's very easy to take apart... Just pop the top cap off (I popped it out from the inside using a long skinny screwdriver, just pop it on the ground a few times it's press fit in there pretty tight), slide the PCB out, and take out the two screws that old the window in. I've had to do it several times during the polishing process...

This tube lived under water for about 6 hours yesterday while I wet sanded it... No way I would have done that with the electronics in place!

Vamo is about the same... Top cap pops off (Can get wobble it off with a big pair of channel locks), slide out PCB, remove buttons and window. Done! :)

I would also have to mask it off for the coating process. That could be tricky where the window goes.

All that would go to the powder coat shop are stainless steel tubes... well, a couple of brass ones from the Chi Chi as well

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Me

It's very easy to take apart... Just pop the top cap off (I popped it out from the inside using a long skinny screwdriver, just pop it on the ground a few times it's press fit in there pretty tight), slide the PCB out, and take out the two screws that old the window in. I've had to do it several times during the polishing process...

This tube lived under water for about 6 hours yesterday while I wet sanded it... No way I would have done that with the electronics in place!

Vamo is about the same... Top cap pops off (Can get wobble it off with a big pair of channel locks), slide out PCB, remove buttons and window. Done! :)

I would also have to mask it off for the coating process. That could be tricky where the window goes.

All that would go to the powder coat shop are stainless steel tubes... well, a couple of brass ones from the Chi Chi as well

How did you go about polishing the grooves on your Provari?
Did you just use sandpaper or did you use a tool, like a Dremel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread