I may have saved my daughter's life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Ok... so she's 18 years old, and smokes like a f'ing chimney. She's going through a carton every 4 days.

She saw my e-cig, thought it was cute, but had no interest. I talked her into using my 901, and she did with a high regular cart. She said she wasn't picky, needed nic. When she was done, she handed it back without saying anything.

I put my thinking cap on... I know her favorite thing in the world is a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks.

I put my chemist/mad scientist hat on and go to work... Glycerine, TW's unflavored 36mg, Lorann's Mint Chocolate Chip & Keoke Coffee... shake well and serve.

She won't give the 901 back to me now! I'm glad I have my Rio. :rolleyes:

shakey ceasefire

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
That's great that you've turned her on to e-smoking...but honestly how did you let her get to a carton every 4 days? No 18 year old should be smoking that much.

Not to sound rude, but maybe more parental supervision is needed.

Not my place to say, as I don't have kids, but I remember what I was like as a teenager. :evil:

The thing is, if a parent smokes, the kid is going to laugh at them for telling them not to, right? Classic "do as I say not as I do".

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I don't have kids either, but I certainly remember well what it was like to be 18 years old, half my lifetime ago. If I did tell my parents I smoked, and they had told me to quit, I would have done it more.

xKrazYx: I see from your profile you are 22 years old, talking about parental supervision as it relates to smoking? And you are on this forum presumably because you smoke (or used to smoke) analogs?

There is something that could be said here. I just can't put it into words at 3:30am.

shakey ceasefire

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
xKrazYx: I see from your profile you are 22 years old, talking about parental supervision as it relates to smoking? And you are on this forum presumably because you smoke (or used to smoke) analogs?

There is something that could be said here. I just can't put it into words at 3:30am.

Hey Programmer, I'll put it into words here. it's quite simple:

Judge not, lest ye be judged

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
That's great that you've turned her on to e-smoking...but honestly how did you let her get to a carton every 4 days? No 18 year old should be smoking that much.

Not to sound rude, but maybe more parental supervision is needed.

"Let?" She's an adult. She doesn't live at home anymore. I believe she was exaggerating, also. I don't count her cigarettes, although I tell her to quit every time I see her smoking. I simply asked her how long a carton lasted, since I was making a point about the cost of the juice. This may take into consideration that she probably gives packs to her boyfriend. She didn't say she smokes that much, just that that's how long a carton lasts.

You know what they say about assuming? Don't. It makes an ... of u and me. But not me :p

asidrave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2009
New Jersey
"Let?" She's an adult. She doesn't live at home anymore. I believe she was exaggerating, also. I don't count her cigarettes, although I tell her to quit every time I see her smoking. I simply asked her how long a carton lasted, since I was making a point about the cost of the juice. This may take into consideration that she probably gives packs to her boyfriend. She didn't say she smokes that much, just that that's how long a carton lasts.

You know what they say about assuming? Don't. It makes an ... of u and me. But not me :p

Walrus...its all good....i look at it this way.

you cared enough to go out of your way to make that special blend for your daughter. and i bet if she asked for a different flavor...you would make it for her in a heartbeat :)

i have 3 kids myself :)

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
For what it's worth, Walrus, I think you did the right thing. Controlling another human being is just not possible. You might get the appearance of compliance, but the passive aggression and covert spite will lead to further and more dangerous acts than smoking.

I speak from personal experience here. No, I am not a parent. I am just a very willful person who was once a very willful child. My parents could get me to do pretty much anything they wanted by waiting for me to be ready to receive guidance and then guiding me in the best direction they could find. They made themselves my allies - not friends - when I was young, and when I got to be a teenager, I was very compliant with what they asked because I knew they were steering me where I wanted to go, not where they decided they wanted me to go.

When I am forced to do something against my will, I am angry, pouting, plotting revenge, scheming how to do my will behind their backs, passive aggressive, and spiteful - I will do EVERYTHING that I know the authority figure would disapprove of (the authority figure becomes the enemy that I must rebel against)

When I am shown how the authority figure's request actually pushes the team in a positive direction, I am not only compliant, but a proponent and a force to be reckoned with. I can be gung ho when I see that their desires and mine can coincide, coexist, and reinforce one another. I am as stubborn as a mule - everyone's best bet is to join forces with me in one way or another, I don't have to be in charge, just treated as someone with a will of their own and a mind of their own instead of a dumb robot who just does as they are told without question.

Walrus, you waited until she was ready to try it - with a few hints dropped I'm sure - then allowed her to try it and make up her own mind about it. You made it desirable to her, showing her that she can manipulate the flavors, giving her more control of her own tastebuds. She now has a pleasant experience with ecigs to reflect upon. She may very well return to you for more info now.

At 18, it is a good thing for her to strike out and exercise her will. Young ladies who don't exercise their own will usually don't learn how to and end up marrying the first guy who comes along and treats her the way daddy treats her - meaning the first guy who treats her like a child and makes decisions for her.

I respect you already Walrus, and this is the first post I have read of yours.:thumbs:

xKrazYx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2009
I'm not telling you to control other people, but there's a fine line between controlling and poor supervision.

Did I smoke before I was 18? Once, when my mom gave me one because I was curious when I was 14. I smoked it, coughed like hell and threw up and never touched one until I was in college.

Even now, i'll smoke 5-6 cigarettes a week max, because she taught me self-control.

My point was, no one starts off smoking a carton every 4 days, which means she must have started before she was 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread