Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi all. Need a reality check.

I'm using the TrustFire 14500 "red flame" 900 mAh batteries in pairs in a VV box. Like these for example: 14500 Trustfire Flame - Protected Li-Ion Battery -900mAh 50mm (2-pack)

Using two pairs in rotation in a VariCool box. (I always keep them matched in the same pairs.) It appears at six months one of the batteries has developed "issues." I put it in my box and it lasted about oh... five minutes. On a meter it's reading only 2.7 volts. The charger is refusing to charge it. The other battery in the pair reads 4.1 volts.

So... six months for two pairs used in rotation. Is that about what you are getting out of these?

Since these have been used in pairs, if one of them bites it do you toss both batteries at the same time? S'pose I could always hold onto the working one should I ever feel the need to get a flash light that uses a single 14500...

No complaints. I just wanted to check in about what kind of life span y'all are getting.

And yes - I already have two more pair. Bought them about three months ago. (Belt and suspenders approach to vaping.) :p

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Using two pairs in rotation in a VariCool box. (I always keep them matched in the same pairs.) It appears at six months one of the batteries has developed "issues."
Have you ever checked them right before charging? Usually one will drain faster. You should be swapping their position in the mod also. This will help to age the batteries equally.

So... six months for two pairs used in rotation. Is that about what you are getting out of these?
I'm confused, it sounded like one of the four went bad?

axphxia

Dec 19, 2010
California
got 2 pairs (4 of them) when I bought my first VV mod (takes 2 batteries) and rotated them like you.

Seems all 4 are died about a week ago (coincidence??). Strange thing that all 4 seem to have developed same problem - not charging and exhibited short battery time just prior to dying. Based on the date of purchase vs date when they died, they lasted about 20 months. So I guess if you consider that they were being used in rotation, each pair lasted about 10 months.

Not sure if this is typical but seeing how one of your batteries lasted only 6 months on rotation I guess I can consider myself lucky.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
got 2 pairs (4 of them) when I bought my first VV mod (takes 2 batteries) and rotated them like you.

Seems all 4 are died about a week ago (coincidence??). Strange thing that all 4 seem to have developed same problem - not charging and exhibited short battery time just prior to dying. Based on the date of purchase vs date when they died, they lasted about 20 months. So I guess if you consider that they were being used in rotation, each pair lasted about 10 months.

Not sure if this is typical but seeing how one of your batteries lasted only 6 months on rotation I guess I can consider myself lucky.

That is about right :)

@OP
Unless you have a specific use for the good batt in the pair, when a set goes bad it is prudent to toss 'em both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread