Status
Not open for further replies.

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
Hello,

It's great to be here, I've already discovered so many new tips & tricks from reading the threads.
I'm not new to e-cigs, and my journey is similar to others. However, how I got here is everything. You see, I was very close to my farther-in-law, Milton. He was a lot younger than my dad, so I was able to relate in ways that where very difficult with my dad. Our relationship grew as the grand-children came. Milton loved food, jazz music, and electronics...he taught me so much about Coltrane & micro-processors. We also shared a habit that no one else in the family did, and that was an analog cigarette. Our most intense discussions occurred outside or in his workroom. We both loved the banter with our favourite beverage. Milton was a pack and half a day smoker for 40 years, I was a 1/2 pack a day for 22 years.

In the spring of 2007, Milton felt pain in his right chest while chopping wood. He was always chopping wood, and the pain didn't go away. After much persistence by my mother-in-law, Milton decided to go see the doctor. It was lung cancer that spread to the bones and liver....the doctor gave him 3-6 months. Needless to say, after the tears, Milton wanted to live, and hit the treatment hard, but also didn't put away the cigs...he did go down to 1/2 pack, and I continued.
Then my world came to a crashing halt...my wife was diagnosed with colon cancer in December of 2007. She never picked up a cigarette in her life, was physically in great shape, and no family history. But she was raised in a house that exposed her to second hand smoke for most of her upbringing. Needless to say, I was shocked, and thought the world would end. How could a healthy 38 year old women be diagnosed with a form of cancer that's normally reserved for someone in their 50's+?

Milton found the news devastating. He was battling for his life, and could not bear to think that he might never find out what would happen to his daughter. But Milton was feeling an incredible amount of guilt that I believe ended his will...the cancer ravaged his body, he passed away at the end of January 2008. My wife has gone thru many surgeries, chemo, radiation, and as we speak, is in remission...the tests continue, but our faith is strong.
At that point in my life, I was disgusted with myself. I didn't like the habit anymore for what it did two very important people in my life. I was ostracized from my friends and family for continuing the habit after everything that happened. I tried the patch, the pills, even hypnotism...nothing worked.
In November of 2009, I was watching an episode of the Discovery Channel with my son, and the show discussed electronic cigarettes....my son said, "Dad, this is for you". It sure was, I ordered the first one I could find online, Green Smoke. I received the e-cigs two weeks later at work, came home and dropped my brand new pack of analogs on the kitchen table, and I swore to my family that my disgusting habit was over and gave them links to the benefits of e-cigs. They are so grateful and supportive.
That was Dec 4th 2009...and I'm so proud to say I have never smoked an analog since. Sure, I realised that Green Smoke is an overpriced, inferior product, but I will be for ever grateful to them for my first. I've since discovered the 510's, then the Ego's, and as a gift for my first anniversary, my bottom feeding Ali'i should arrive next week.

I so wished Milton looked into e-cigs, with his electronic skills; I could see him giving the best mod makers a run for their money.

Good luck to everyone out there....keep spreading the good word.
Regards,
VIPOD

Last edited:

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Bless you VIPOD. Sending love and prayers for your wife. So sorry for the devastation cancer has spread about you and your family.
I don't think the price of the Green Smoke was outrageous, seeing as how it helped you get rid of a very bad habit. Congrats on the upcoming Ali'i. I am also awaiting the arrival of my new Ali'i.
Welcome to ECF and if there is anything you need, let us hear about it. We might be able to help or lend an ear.

Dan1911

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
My heart goes out to you and your family. I sincerely hope everything keeps going well for you. Its really hard seeing a loved one die from cancer, that I can say from experience. Im extremely happy that the greencig worked so well for you... Its not about the high tech mods or the shiney new toys. In the end we are all here for one thing, staying away from deadly analogs.. getting away from those is the important part, at least, for me.

stories like these are what makes my blood boil when i think about how the FDA and big tobacco seem to be dead set on banning these devices and making sure nobody that truly needs to hear about them does.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
welcome.gif
to ECF and I'm so happy you have quit smoking. It's an extremely disgusting habit as well as terrible to ones health. I smoked for close to, if not, 50yrs. and quit with the ecig. I too lost my Dad, Sister and other family members plus many good friends to cancer. I hope the Lord blesses you and your family and watches over you all.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
Wow Vipod! I will never complain about the money that I wasted a year ago on the BluCigs and not used, as it eventually led me to this forum, and to my 510's, and ended my analog destruction!! Thank you for sharing this and welcome to the forums

LOL...I bought a blu thinking it would be a great package to shove in a pocket and take off on a ride. Did not realize at the time they were sound activated. They activated in my pocket and burned my leg. blu hates Harleys.

Nixsdaddy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Bessemer City, NC
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I can understand where your coming from. My mom passed away from cancer in May 2008, and she was a 1-3 pack a day smoker for 40+ years. I tried so many times to quit after she passed on that it just ain't funny. Until I found these e-cigs, then this forum.

My prayers are with you and your wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread