HOG XL minimum resistance

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello

What is the lowest resistance i can use on HOG XL? Can you provide calculation using ohms law?
Hi and welcome,

It appears that the unit has a 60 amp limit...IMO, builds should draw 48 amps or less.

WARNING: This is a parallel-series quad battery mechanical mod and is not intended to be used by beginners, this device has no safety features or cutoffs and produces 8.4V of power. If you do not have a good understanding of OHM's law and battery safety please do not purchase this product.

Cheers
I

• Winner
Reactions: smacuser

Vaping400watts

May 4, 2024
Hi and welcome,

It appears that the unit has a 60 amp limit...IMO, builds should draw 48 amps or less.

WARNING: This is a parallel-series quad battery mechanical mod and is not intended to be used by beginners, this device has no safety features or cutoffs and produces 8.4V of power. If you do not have a good understanding of OHM's law and battery safety please do not purchase this product.

Cheers
I

Thanks so 8.4/48= .18 minimum correct?

Say that I have two builds both have a resistance of .2

Build 1: 22AWG, 3.5mm ID, 6 wrap = .2
Build 2: 20AWG, 3.5mm ID, 9 wrap = .2

Which build consumes less power?

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks so 8.4/48= .18 minimum correct?

Say that I have two builds both have a resistance of .2

Build 1: 22AWG, 3.5mm ID, 6 wrap = .2
    Build 2: 20AWG, 3.5mm ID, 9 wrap = .2

Which build consumes less power?

Power = voltage x resistance

Since both builds have the same resistance, given the same battery/mod, the power would be the same for both.

This article is a good read.

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan

Vaping400watts

May 4, 2024
    Power = voltage x resistance

Since both builds have the same resistance, given the same battery/mod, the power would be the same for both.

This article is a good read.

Ok. I think your right according to the equation but I think we both know the ramp up time to a fully lit coil would be different.

Imagine a 5AWG wire if you know what it looks like it’s massive. Would require 114 wraps to make a .2 overall for dual coil. But using the same watts as the setup at 22AWG I don’t think the coils would light up at all.

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Ok. I think your right according to the equation but I think we both know the ramp up time to a fully lit coil would be different.

Imagine a 5AWG wire if you know what it looks like it’s massive. Would require 114 wraps to make a .2 overall for dual coil. But using the same watts as the setup at 22AWG I don’t think the coils would light up at all.

The equations don't address ramp up time at all. That will vary both on the resistance of the wire, higher gage with more resistance and ramp up time, and the voltage of the battery, higher voltage with quicker time to full power. So again given the same battery, your first build will ramp up a bit quicker, but between the two the difference wouldn't be much, unlike the 5 gage example, which nobody uses.

Vaping400watts

May 4, 2024
    The equations don't address ramp up time at all. That will vary both on the resistance of the wire, higher gage with more resistance and ramp up time, and the voltage of the battery, higher voltage with quicker time to full power. So again given the same battery, your first build will ramp up a bit quicker, but between the two the difference wouldn't be much, unlike the 5 gage example, which nobody uses.
    Ye

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    That thing is using 4 21700 batteries in series. I'm gonna say if you don't have a full grip of Ohms law, you're playing with a dangerous thing here. I also don't see any real advantage gained by using such a device. But that's just my opinion.

Not quite. It uses 2 batteries in series and the two pairs of series batteries are in parallel. It's advantage is longer battery life for those using high wattage. However you MUST understand Ohms-law and its not recommended to use lower resistance than 0.5 Ohms. I have a Thors hammer, which is similar to the HOG, but uses 4 18650s. I've not used it as it is my vapocalypse last resort to get my desired 75 watts. I hope never to use it, but won't without knowledge of Ohms law.

Reactions: gloopdegurp

Vaping400watts

May 4, 2024

So using Kanthal A1 for both builds given everything is the same except the gauge of wire
    Hi and welcome,

Cheers

How did you calculate the total amps for this unit? Let’s assume each battery has a max amps of 35A.
    How did you calculate the total amps? Assume each battery has max amps of 35

Users who are viewing this thread