A Little Rant - ohm's law is not a power calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
Goole, United Kingdom
Any electrical/electronics engineer will tell you ohms law is NOT a calculation referencing power. Ohm's law is purely the relationship between voltage, resistance and current (amps).

ie V=IR, I=V/R and R=V/I.

That's it, nothing to do with power.

Of course this formula can be explained in different ways, such as substituting Resistance with the reciprocal of Acceptance - but still not power.

[/PEDANTIC]

:p:D

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Oh really!
    ScratchHead-1.gif

In case you haden't noticed, Ohms Law is a circle and POWER (Watts) is an equal part of that circle.

ohmlaw.gif

So there are 12 formulas that make up Ohms Law, not just three formulas.

Last edited:

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 15, 2014
    Goole, United Kingdom
    Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference across the two points.

I'll leave it at that. I'm wanting a big debate on this cos I spent a hectic few years learning all this, plus I think it'll be interesting for everyone who's wondering.

Robert (I think) Ohm developed Ohm's law before the calculation for power was defined.

*edit*

twas Georg Ohm, my bad.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference across the two points.

I'll leave it at that. I'm wanting a big debate on this cos I spent a hectic few years learning all this, plus I think it'll be interesting for everyone who's wondering.

Robert (I think) Ohm developed Ohm's law before the calculation for power was defined.

*edit*

twas Georg Ohm, my bad.

So you are making your decisions on the original known first formula release and not the fully developed formulas encompassing all now known facts?

Okay, later!

Last edited:

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2013
    Northern CALI, USA
    Question: why does it bother you so much? I understand you put lot of hard work in your graduate studies or trade to understand it or something of that nature.

I knew people were referencing it wrong, but as long they can apply for their safety in coil building, mechanical mods, battery safety, etc. (Me: graduate studies so had to take few egghead courses in CS, my father was bench tech, wife's family electrical engineer, ship/mechanical engineer, and then some )
    As long people got the general the idea on how to use it to their benefit:
    "coil build low..too high AMP bad for puny battery, must get Sony battery, don't want to blow up face, use Ohm's calculator,..now safe"
    That's all it should matter, if I let ever single missed referenced,incorrect usage of scientific term, Wiki mech mod users advice etc, i would sign off from this forum months ago.

It's great your passionate about the sciences etc. I commend that..but I join ECF to help others and I'll be honest..look for legit mods, RBAs, and harass that Badtidue guy on Provari's threads (I kid I kid)....

Have good one mate.

Last edited:

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
    Germany
    Ohm's law is I = V / R, and its variations. The power law equation, P = I x V is not part of Ohm's law. The circle that tj99959 posted above includes both Ohm's law and the power law equations, and their relationships.

It's not just Ripshod being pedantic. Anyone who has studied electronics is likely to correct you if you refer to the power equations as Ohm's law.

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 15, 2014
    Goole, United Kingdom
    Blame the folks who make online Ohms Law calculators. They tend to give you wattage.

I do, I do.

With it being quoted all over the place I thought schools and colleges were actually teaching this. I don't want to be wrong, and I don't want to be right. The whole point of this topic was to clear the matter up, for me as much as anyone else.

And the [/PEDANTIC] was intended as tongue-in cheek. I'm not here to correct anyone.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 17, 2013
    Seattle
    For the benefit of beginner unregulated mech and RBA vapists... with the weakest of grasps on calculations for resistance and proportionate amperage, if any at all... I tend to reference "Ohm's Laws" generically, so as to maintain a comforting thread of continuity.
    Technically wrong? Maybe. Do I care? Not a wit.

Said beginner, lacking any electrical basic knowledge - already deeply confused and thrust into a world of wire gauge, DMMs, high performance batteries, continuity, resistivity and the Laws of Ohm - already have enough self-inflicted concerns to deal with, without trying to figure out what a shiny new electrical boffin, looking to make his mark - "I'm wanting a big debate on this cos I spent a hectic few years learning all this" - thinks is proper etiquette, or not.

Ripshod

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 15, 2014
    Goole, United Kingdom
    For the benefit of beginner unregulated mech and RBA vapists...

Now that makes perfect sense. Dumbing things down to layman's terms to make it easier to understand is good practice and I'm definitely not against it.

Imagine now an engineer that doesn't understand that. They see power calculations being referred to as 'Ohm's Law' and instantly they either join and post to correct everyone, or they just ignore the forum as 'stuff and nonsense'. Whatever!! We know what we're doing and like to keep it simple.

Nada Nix

Dec 8, 2013
    Germany
    I've been teaching classes in basic electronics since the 1980s, so maybe I can be excused for being pedantic and correcting people ;) For example, the inverse of resistance is conductance, not acceptance. And don't get me started about the word "amperage"...

But I agree, that's not really the point. I think it's fantastic that people are learning about this stuff through their vaping "hobby"! Maybe it will even inspire some of them to explore more in the wonderful world of electronics, and it makes me happy when someone expresses interest in it. But for the most part, people just want to get their gear working, and in general I've found it's bad form in internet forums to go around correcting people's spelling, grammar, or use of technical terms, when they didn't ask you to... so I try to avoid that.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2013
    Northern CALI, USA
    I've been teaching classes in basic electronics since the 1980s, so maybe I can be excused for being pedantic and correcting people ;) For example, the inverse of resistance is conductance, not acceptance. And don't get me started about the word "amperage"...

But I agree, that's not really the point. I think it's fantastic that people are learning about this stuff through their vaping "hobby"! Maybe it will even inspire some of them to explore more in the wonderful world of electronics, and it makes me happy when someone expresses interest in it. But for the most part, people just want to get their gear working, and in general I've found it's bad form in internet forums to go around correcting people's spelling, grammar, or use of technical terms, when they didn't ask you to... so I try to avoid that.

43402-Minions-cheering-gif-OrI5.gif

brickfollett

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 25, 2013
    Washington
    :pop:

Haha this is a good one. As long as the phrasing gets the point across and keeps people safe, I could care less how its phrased. I think both me and Baditude have had our fair share of restating the same thing differently over and over to prevent people from blowing their faces off because they want to know if ICR's or NiMh batteries are okay.

They aren't. :facepalm:

The term Ohm's laws is almost guaranteed to have been coined by our lovely little society to protect and educate new users. While it's far less of an issue on a regulated mod, we really have to lay the hammer down when it comes to mechanicals, because they aren't toys for little highschool cloud chasers to mess with. They are real devices with real power and real potential for any number of outcomes, the best of which is big vapor :vapor:

If I say research ohms laws and it gets the point across, so be it.

But I understand the terminology frustration you're experiencing

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread