Here’s a weird one…

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
It’s why real helvetica is still sold. There was a guy who literally spent his life building that font. Rather than half an afternoon like most modern ones. No surprise it’s better.

FONT WARS! OMG, you're a freaking GENIUS!!!

Provari vs. Reo? Been there, done that.
Watts vs. Volts? Old & tired. Nobody cares.
Cotton vs. Rayon? YAWN!!!
Clouders vs. Tootle Puffers? Puh-LEASE.

FONT WARS! We've struck gold!!!

Broadway vs. Daytona
Helvetica vs. Arial
Abadi vs. Times New Roman
(etc.)
WE CAN ARGUE AGAIN! :lol: :thumb::banana:

I feel invigorated already.

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
FONT WARS! OMG, you're a freaking GENIUS!!!

Provari vs. Reo? Been there, done that.
Watts vs. Volts? Old & tired. Nobody cares.
Cotton vs. Rayon? YAWN!!!
Clouders vs. Tootle Puffers? Puh-LEASE.

FONT WARS! We've struck gold!!!

Broadway vs. Daytona
Helvetica vs. Arial
Abadi vs. Times New Roman
(etc.)
WE CAN ARGUE AGAIN! :lol: :thumb::banana:

I feel invigorated already.
my memory is the font wars happened in the 80’s. adobe bought a lot of them up when electronic publishing was new. So there was adobe vs. TrueType, which were generally counterfeit fonts. ”like” something good, but their kerning and stuff was off. It was cheap and available though so it was a runaway victory.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
There are apparently two known ways to do mine. One involves the glove compartment, one doesn’t. I suspect both are a PITA. Things got like that when 3d CAD became popular. This is common with this sort of thing. It’s why real helvetica is still sold. There was a guy who literally spent his life building that font. Rather than half an afternoon like most modern ones. No surprise it’s better.

What happened in many cases wasn't so much that 3D CAD became affordable. It was that a mindset set in that instead of having a few Very Experienced Design Engineers per design team, that they could achieve the same thing hiring Kids fresh out of college at Much Lower Wages/Health Care Costs.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen it. They let the Senior People go or don't replace them when they retire and what is left is a room full of 20 Year Old's banging away on some Master Model. It works. But in Most cases it is Harder to Manufacture, Assemble, and or Repair because there just aren't enough people in the team with enough Real Experience making what their making.

Good design isn't just a pretty piece of 3D. It's coming up with something that easy Easy and Cost Efficient to Manufacture. Simple to Assemble. And straight forward to Replace when needed.

A CAF is Meant to be Replaced once a Year. So why would you design it so it is behind a ton of other Stuff like in that Volvo?

---

BTW - Here is a Interesting Documentary on Helvetica.

Users who are viewing this thread