Help: Weird carto flavor issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
Hey all,

I need some help here. I have a weird issue happening with cartos and I can't figure it out. I am getting a plastic taste using the same setup that I have been using for a while now. Please read details below as I have already tried a lot of different things.

Here is what I am using:
Standard 510 Ego and 510 Riva
Boge 510 Low Resistance cartomizers
Various juices at 80/20 or 50/50 PG/VG

Here is what has happened. I got some new juice recently. It is all flavors that I have used before but I ordered some with double flavor. I filled new cartos as follows:

1 Hypnotic Mist 80/20 2X flavor
1 Vanilla Classic 80/20 2X flavor
1 Blueberry Pancake 50/50 regular flavor
1 Cappuccino Smooth 50/50 regular flavor
1 Vanilla Tahity 80/20 regular flavor

I started vaping the Hypnotic Mist carto and it tasted like plastic. Not like a burning carto, just like plastic. So, I filled a second carto with HM and again it tasted like plastic. I tried the other cartos that I filled and they ALL taste like plastic. I am now on my 4th HM carto that tastes like plastic and multiples of the other flavors as well. So, I was thinking that maybe I got 2X flavor in all of them accidentally and the extra flavor was the problem.

Now, here is the weird part...

I filled a new carto with a spearmint juice that I have been using for about a month. This is the second carto to be filled from this bottle of juice. The first carto tasted fine and I put about 5 ml through it without issue.

This carto tastes like plastic too! WTF?!?!

So, it's not just the new juices. And the cartos are all from the same vendor, batch and even the same box as cartos that I have been using for the past few weeks without issue. Same filling method and I have filled more just to be sure they are full and wet before using them.

I thought maybe it was my taste buds but I pulled 2 cartos out of retirement and vaped them. They tasted a little dry but no hint of this plastic taste at all. I even tried topping them off with the new juice to see if it tasted like plastic. So far, it does not.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions here? Right now I can't point the finger at the juices or the cartos so I am at somewhat of a loss. I have now "wasted" 12 cartos trying to figure out what is going on here. Any help is appreciated.

VanderVape

Moved On
Nov 17, 2010
Wyoming
These are Boge cartos that you are using, and a type of carto I haven't tried yet. Do your cartos come apart to be able to clean them? I have the clearomizers and love that they come totally apart to be able to clean the threads that are in there. I pre-cleaned all of mine before using them because I had ran across one with the taste you were talking about. After that, no problems. :) I even have the little brushes to get gunk off of the coils when they clog and I can't get anymore vapor.

I am curious to see what others can mention to help alleviate your issue. :)

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
I use nothing but Boge and I have not had these type of issues.
Once we get a weird taste of sort, it takes a little while for our nose to cooperate in
getting rid of the weird taste and that may be why the spearmint had the plastic taste
as well. You might need to rinse/wash/brush your mouth and take in some deep nose
inhales and try and clear all that out first and then do a test with a old carto.

My first thoughts is the new juice with the double flavors. As many people do, you might
have to let these "steep" for a few days or week for the flavors to come out.

I would blow out the fresh filled cartos and if you have some PGA (pure grain alcohol) I would
run a little thru the cartos and blow out real good. They do not have to dry out but a couple
of hours using PGA. Try filling one with "old" juice (after the mouth and nose cleaning) and see
what happens from there.

It does seem strange that the old cartos with the new juice....seemed ok.

Again, maybe time has cleared your mouth and nose from the plastic by the time you tried those.

Not sure if I helped, but let us know if anything different happens.
Maybe some more answers will come in as well.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
I know what you mean about a smell or taste getting stuck. That is not the case here however. The cartos that taste like plastic, always taste like plastic and other cartos always taste fine. I can hit them one right after the other with the same results. It is definitely specific cartos.

The juice has been steeping for a while. The double flavor juices are from 1/3/11. Some of the others, like the spearmint are months old. The flavors are all flavors I have used prior to these issues so I have an idea of what they should taste like at various stages of steeping. I was trying the double flavor to bypass a little of the steeping wait time.

I can taste the juice flavor over the plastic taste. Hypnotic mist is the biggest issue since it is a relatively light flavor at full intensity. But, I can still taste the HM flavor a little. It's just this plastic taste that is killing it.

I have now filled 4 cartos with HM. 2 of 80/20 and 2 with 50/50. They all taste like plastic. The same juice, in a carto that I retired last week, seems fine. I have only put about 20 drops into it but so far, no plastic taste. And that carto is from the same batch of cartos as the ones that taste like plastic. The only difference that I know of is that I used that one last week. lol. I'm not sure how that makes a difference.

Just for the heck of it, I went into my retired carto pile. I retire a carto when it starts tasting a little funny or when I have put 5 ml of juice through it. Whichever comes first. So, I have a bunch of cartos that still tasted fine when retired. So, I hit a few of them. Not one had any plastic taste at all. And again, they are all from the same batch of cartos as the plastic tasting ones.

This is so weird. I just can't pin down what the issue is. I do appreciate all the responses so far and I look forward to any additional ideas.

TypeOholic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
Since last night I have been powering through one of the Hypnotic Mist cartos that tastes like plastic. I have been taking a draw or 2 from it every hour or so trying to get it a little dry to see if the taste gets better or worse. So far, HM flavor and the plastic taste have faded together like flavor fades as a carto gets dry.

I topped off the carto and the HM and plastic taste returned to being strong. This leads me to believe that the juice is the major part of the issue.

I also filled 2 new cartos with older juices. 1 Peppermint and 1 Carmel Apple. Neither of them have the plastic taste. So, I am back to thinking it is the juice and the 1 spearmint that tasted bad is a fluke. I am going to keep trying to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread