Help, mod and power suggestions for my off grid camping kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallykid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Michigan
Our cabin is completely off the grid. We run on a battery bank and propane with generator backup to recharge the battery bank every week or so. I am trying to put a kit together for our trips. I have 2 12,000 Mah Mophie battery packs I carry with me to charge my phone through while we are there using USB outputs.

I am currently using a Kanger subox Mini and like it but was thinking of stepping up to something like an Ipv4s or Sigelei 150 TC and using the subox as a backup mod as I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have a mod failure. However all of my chargers for 18650 are AC only (Luc v4)

This got me thinking of comparable mods that I could charge through the USB on my battery packs.

I guess I am looking for suggestions on what to do. Buy another mod that takes 18650 and charge a bunch of batteries before I go? Buy a mod that I can charge through USB? Find an 18650 charger that will charge off a USB cable?

Any suggestions on the above are greatly appreciated as I seem to be running in circles trying to figure it out. I currently cape between 35 and 40 watts on a .5 ohm coil, direct lung, with the setup that came with the Subox kit.

The list so far is:

Buy another Subox as a backup. If I do this I need suggestions for a charger that will run off USB

Upgrade now to the ipv4s or Sigelei 150 TC. I still need the charger suggestions and input on those 2 mods.

Buy something with internal battery that I can charge off my USB. I would need suggestions for which one as I am not sure what is good and what is crap.

Enough rambling from me, what would YOU do?

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
How are you getting to your cabin? Hiking, or driving?

If you're driving you may want to get the Nitecore i4 V2 with the 12V car adapter. It will charge your batteries without having to drain your battery packs. The tiny amount of power that it draws from the car battery will hardly be noticed, and your car battery will be fully recharged within a minute or two of starting the engine.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I had thought about that as well which would work for the cabin but I also want something that will work when we are well away from civilization on our camping trips.

Ah, can't help... I have no experience with "power banks".

I'll still reply though that when I bought my LUC 4, I specifically got the kit with the 12v cigar plug adaptor.
I'm an RVer so I know I'll want it when I'm parked and using the "house" batteries.
Just thoughts for the cabin. Good luck.

rallykid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 13, 2014
Michigan
Ok, setup so far. Sigelei 75 watt TC mod with my Kanger Subox Mini as backup, 6 Samsung 25r's in a battery holder that keeps them from touching, 6 VTC's in the other 6 battery holder, Luc v4 charger with DC cable to run off the car or 12v at the cabin, 12,000 mah portable battery pack with USB outputs for charging batteries in the mods if need be and shopping for solar panel setups for hiking trips.

It all fits nice and neat along with all of the assorted tools, wire, cotton, juice, etc in my vape kit Maxpedition bag which in turn will tuck nicely into my large hiking pack which carries enough to support me easily for 10 days away from civilization. Not as light as throwing a carton of Marlboro in my pack but now I have better flavor and it is much more healthy.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Reactions: Tmebs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread