Having juice issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

skakid812

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Texas
I'm pretty new to vaping, I have a basic ego setup with some ce3's and some evods. I went a little juice crazy and ordered a bunch from vendors who seem to have decent review. Some Halo subzero, coolmist, and twisted java. Also just received my Johnson Creek order of Wisconsin frost, arctic menthol, tundra, and island. All juices were 18% and all were loaded into brand new evods. I shook them super well, let them steep a little, and made sure to let them soak very well into the clearos. I am pretty pleased with the Halo liquid, it seemed to get better after a few days (tasted SUPER chemical like on the initial test) so in my hunt for a great minty/menthol type juice I bought some from Johnson creek. They ALL have a super super throat hit, its not completely unbearable once I get used to it and hit it 5-6 times, but its very noticable. Is this due to the high nicotine content? Because its their PG free line so I thought that would mean less throat hit, even with a high nicotine content? Also the other issue I seem to have is sensing the flavor, I have taste buds I know I can taste things so I'm not crazy but they all basically taste the same to me. Wisconsin frost I can definitely sense a light mint/vanilla taste on the exhale, but the other two "mint/menthols" I really dont taste much, not sure if its a burnt type taste or if its supposed to be a tobacco type base but its getting frustrating trying to feel out which juice I like when they are all giving me the same results.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
Yes, high levels of nic and/or PG will impart a stronger throat hit. Even the Red Oak is no joke at 24mg.

If you've only recently converted from smoking, your taste buds are not functioning at maximum capacity yet. However, I think you may possibly be experiencing wicking issues with the JC stuff. It's 100% VG and does not perform well in some clearomizer-style devices. I wouldn't even bother loading your ce3's with it. The Evod can handle pure VG, but I would advise you to pull out one of the flavor wicks in the Evod head to increase wicking.

If your juice is not wicking well, you may be experiencing what is known as a "dry hit" which is what happens when your coil is firing on a dry wick. You will get an acrid, burning hit from your ecig that is not at all flavorful or pleasant. It is also possible that your device isn't wicking fast enough, which will result in a partial dry hit, tainting the flavor of your juice and generally making for a nasty experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FQi3wZWpE4

skakid812

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Texas
I hate to sound like this is the placebo effect but I removed one of the wicks on two of the EVODS and I'm pretty sure I notice the difference, not only does it draw smoother but there appears to be more vapor/flavor all together. The throat hit is not quite as intense, but its still there. Is this because with all the wicks, and the thick juice its not wicking fast enough for the large hits I'm taking?

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
That's exactly correct, skakid812. VG is very thick and takes longer than PG to soak a silica wick. You might even want to try pulling both flavor wicks and see how that goes. If you get any gurgling/flooding, just put one of them back in.

When you're getting dry hits or partial dry hits, part of that throat hit you're feeling is simply raw heat from a naked, burning hot coil. Make sure you allow enough time, 15-20 seconds or so, for your wick to re-saturate before you hit it again.

skakid812

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Texas
That's exactly correct, skakid812. VG is very thick and takes longer than PG to soak a silica wick. You might even want to try pulling both flavor wicks and see how that goes. If you get any gurgling/flooding, just put one of them back in.

When you're getting dry hits or partial dry hits, part of that throat hit you're feeling is simply raw heat from a naked, burning hot coil. Make sure you allow enough time, 15-20 seconds or so, for your wick to re-saturate before you hit it again.

The dry hit was never the issue, always had tons of vapor. Will leaking be a huge issue if I remove 1 wick, or even 2? Thats my biggest pet peeve is when it starts to leak and get sticky everywhere.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
If you're running pure VG, you should be fine with 1 flavor wick, and possibly with none. Just listen for the telltale gurgling noise when you vape it the first few times after you pull a wick. That's a sign that your center tube is flooding. Just put a wick back in and you shouldn't have to deal with much leakage, if any at all (the extra juice will "drip" back down the center tube to the coil as long as you keep the device upright).

Those loose wicks are there to soak up any excess juice that doesn't get absorbed by the main wick and keep the juice from going into the center tube. With pure VG, the juice is so thick that the extra wicks only serve to keep the thick VG away from the main wick. With the top wick(s) gone, the juice has easier access to the main wick and saturates it quicker.

Pure VG juice is actually pretty high-maintenance, and I would never recommend it to a new vaper unless there were concerns about sensitivities to PG. Don't get discouraged, JC's Red Oak line was among some of the first juices I tried as well, and I had all these same issues you're having now. If it gets to be a little much for you, pick up some PG-based liquid and you'll have a much easier time!

skakid812

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Texas
If you're running pure VG, you should be fine with 1 flavor wick, and possibly with none. Just listen for the telltale gurgling noise when you vape it the first few times after you pull a wick. That's a sign that your center tube is flooding. Just put a wick back in and you shouldn't have to deal with much leakage, if any at all (the extra juice will "drip" back down the center tube to the coil as long as you keep the device upright).

Those loose wicks are there to soak up any excess juice that doesn't get absorbed by the main wick and keep the juice from going into the center tube. With pure VG, the juice is so thick that the extra wicks only serve to keep the thick VG away from the main wick. With the top wick(s) gone, the juice has easier access to the main wick and saturates it quicker.

Pure VG juice is actually pretty high-maintenance, and I would never recommend it to a new vaper unless there were concerns about sensitivities to PG. Don't get discouraged, JC's Red Oak line was among some of the first juices I tried as well, and I had all these same issues you're having now. If it gets to be a little much for you, pick up some PG-based liquid and you'll have a much easier time!

Cool thanks for all your input, I've found myself juice crazy already chasing after the best juice.. the search continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread