• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Greetings, Texans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
NW Tennessee
Good luck to ya. I am ex Army.... never made retirement, after a while in Iraq with the NG I decided to get the hell out.... too old for that S****! My brother was AF...wish I would have gone that way-after being RA and NG I learned that the Force really looks out for theirs (was actually thrown out of the Air Force recreation tent in Talil air base in Iraq! They said it was only for the Air Force 8-o.
Hang in there and get that retirement.

McCordRM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
lol.
Like I said, some days I miss the ARMY. I've been to war 4 times now- starting with Desert Storm, once to Iraq and now twice to Afghanistan. Luckily, I'm one of those people that stay cool under fire so I haven't had any of the mental issues people hear about: nightmares, sudden outbursts of rage/violence, etc. But I've seen some guys come back completely screwed up. It sucks.

I spent some time as a civilian between the ARMY and Air Force and hated it. I prefer military life.

ricklovesnic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
Dallas, TX
Another north texas vaper here. I'm from dallas.

To everyone who has served in the military: THANK YOU for your service. Because you chose to serve, people aren't *forced* to serve in the military. The fact that our country has a voluntary military is perhaps one of its greatest aspects. Again, thank you so much for putting your lives on the line for our country.

-Rick

TJPatt72

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Tx
Howdy thar homie. I was born into the military, and spend my teenage years in the metroplex. Grandmother lived in Oak Cliff all that time, so made pit stops there before that. Thanks for your service, Dad spent 21 years in the Army after being kicked out of the Air Force (he loved planes) for flat feet. I wanted to go into the Air Force (love blue), but it's waiting list was too long back then and I wasn't getting any younger so I went in the Army instead. My choices for stations where Fort Hood or stateside so you know why they sent me back to Germany :). Loved it there both times though second round I was sick most of the time which led to me getting out right before my time was up anyway. I loved it, but when your in the hospital or sick most of the time your just not earning your wages so I opted to take a medical discharge. 2 most exciting times was when a WWII bomb was dug up at the light right off of the base and Russian meg flying under radar defecting. Last couple of weeks we spent most of our time loading and unloading on alerts until we just stayed loaded up and slept at the motor pool (generator/vehicle mechanic in the signal core), but didn't know what was up until I got back state side-Panama problems.
In just the short time I was gone (almost 3 years) Dallas had grown a lot probably due a lot to the show Dallas. Funny now you get to know a lot of the street names you use to drive on without knowing them. Not funny is the fact what use to be a 10 minute drive has turned into a 30+ minute drive :). Even this place is getting more congested than it ever had been in the past and more of a crime wave. A few times even the smog from the metroplex :).
Good to know your handling your missions well, just wish everyone could but there is no shame for those that can't. That's seen in all walks of life though, not just military. My Aunt was a nurse who could eat lunch covered in blood, but couldn't stand up to working in a hospital.
Any plans on what you'll do in retirement besides just coming back this way? Love your avatar BTW.--Kay

TJPatt72

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Tx
Since I was big enough to hold a paint brush I helped her paint her shed every year we where around (her neighbor owned a paint store). Even worked at the sewing shop in the shopping center that had a big toy store next door-along with some of the biggest cockraches I have ever seen in life-American kind. Some where 3-4" long.
Smart to play it by ear. LHC may end it for all of us by then LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread