Got My Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
Hi all, I just got my Chuck today with the 510 tip and got a pair of disposable CR123 batts since my battery order hadn't arrive and I couldn't wait to try try it out. :)

I opened the package and my Chuck looks soooo much better than the pictures on his site. Pictures just simply cannot do the paint job justice. It's a nice hefty weight without being to heavy but I can see why many have dropped it and broken floor, especially with a battery in it. The threads on the cap are nice and smooth and I doubt they would ever seize or have any problems.

The only issue I found with it was after inserting the batteries it wouldn't wouldn't power on whatsoever, but after verifying my atty was good and checking the resistance through the switch and finding a much higher than expected resistance, I figured it out. The screw inside of it had worked its way loose a little bit during shipping and still had contact, but not a good one. A couple quick turns with screw driver and it's all good.

I have to say, I made a 5v/6v mod using AA Ni-Mh batteries and everything tasted burnt, so I honestly didn't get get my Chuck to do HV vaping because of this. I was just planning on using it with a big 3.7V batt. After getting the 3V batts to tide me over, I may just change to HV vaping all the time. Once I get my 3.7 batts I'll have to see which is better, but I am absolutely AMAZED at how much better my Chuck works than my homemade mod!

I must say I love my Chuck already and it will definitely be my new primary device.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Yes, the Chuck is one nice vaping machine...with the custom art and the fact that it works every time I push that button, and even at 3.7v it vapes like 5v, I just cant get enough!!!!!!

:)

Welcome to the club!!!!! Now, post an in hand pic so we can see how much you love it! As we (on the Chuck thread) like to say...pics or it didnt happen! ;)

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
Oh crap. I wish I knew before doing that. :(

I didn't tighten it all the way just a half to a full turn. It wasn't work before doing that but now it's working, but I'll PM him to let him know just in case it's a problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope I didn't break anything. I don't want to let my Chuck out of my hand to send it back for a repair. Especially for me doing something dumb.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Because Jeff has it posted in the Saturday thread to tell people not to do it AFTER I did it...

It isn't a hard fit, it is how it should be when it arrives and only there for the conductivity of the wires to the switch/atty/battery. It isn't a screwed in screw.

Last edited:

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Thanks for the heads up. I hope I didn't break anything. I don't want to let my Chuck out of my hand to send it back for a repair. Especially for me doing something dumb.

Jeff expects some of us Chuckleheads to do this, ha. No worries, he'll take care of it if there is a problem! The post by him is burried. #3338 (holy hell, took a while to find this!)
OK about the recent issue with battery venting. Everyone unscrew the battery cap... got it? Now blow in the end of it. WOW, vented. You will get about another 10% through the battery cap once it's back on should you ever have the unfortunate experience of a venting battery. The second weakest link (fuse) would be the battery cap itself. Before the unit literally explodes into shrapnel, it would blow the battery cap off. why not the head cap? Because the battery isolator is blocking 98% of the space between the battery and the head cap. I wish I could do a controlled venting to video.

Second public announcement...
The brass screw inside where the battery goes is an isolator plate. The screw is a contact for the battery. DO NOT feel the urge to tighten it! Doing so will twist off the wiring inside and render it unoperable. The isolator simply sits at the top. As long as it is in there it is doing it's job. It can wiggle, it can rattle, it can give you dirty looks and sing the Brady Bunch theme song if it wants. Once the battery is in it is held in place by spring pressure and any aformentioned antics will immediately cease. In short - the CHUCK is very retro-sexual and does not like anything going it's end except for a battery!

How's that for instructions? LOL I also just posted this info. in the ChuckleHead forum.

I did pretty much the same thing you did but I cranked the screw trying to 'tighten' it. I was cleaning the end cap threads and then the inside threads and thought oh... a screw. My atty wasn't working well, so I get out a butter knife and TWING... nada (a HOT battery... ahhhh). Shorted out by wonking out the wires. I sent it back to Jeff, and he fixed my Little Hellen (Little Chuck with a Pink sex change) back to better than new!

Last edited:

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
I just ordered my little chuck last night. How long did it take to get yours?

Gena

I ordered mine on Friday or Saturday evening (sorry don't remember) and I got shipping notification on Monday. It arrived Wednesday. But I also ordered one with a standard paint job and he happened to have one already made, so if you got custom art or he is out of stock it will probably take longer.

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
Jeff expects some of us Chuckleheads to do this, ha. No worries, he'll take care of it if there is a problem! The post by him is burried. #3338 (holy hell, took a while to find this!)

How's that for instructions? LOL I also just posted this info. in the ChuckleHead forum.

I did pretty much the same thing you did but I cranked the screw trying to 'tighten' it. I was cleaning the end cap threads and then the inside threads and thought oh... a screw. My atty wasn't working well, so I get out a butter knife and TWING... nada (a HOT battery... ahhhh). Shorted out by wonking out the wires. I sent it back to Jeff, and he fixed my Little Hellen (Little Chuck with a Pink sex change) back to better than new!

I think I'm in the clear then since there has been no smoke or warming of batteries, and it is working great, but I contacted Jeff anyway to inform him and see if it might just be working on pure luck and will fail in a short while.

JeannieB360

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2009
Central New Jersey, USA
I just ordered my little chuck last night. How long did it take to get yours?

Gena
Jeff quoes 2 weeks from payment to shipping, and he seems to achieve that.

I paid after my design was 'final', but on the 'Saturday' thread, it seems some people make a lot of design changes after they have paid, and Jeff as been very accomodating about that.

My design was 'final' in that I sent him a lot of pictures based on a theme, told him the one image that was a must-have, made two suggestions about a background color and gave him carte blanch. He ddn't ask me any further questions. When I first saw the photo of it with a of other Chucks, I looked at the pics a couple of times before I noticed that attractive one part way down the set of photos was MINE! It is unique, it is gorgeous, and it is totally mine!

and did I mention that it vapes great and that it gets fantastic battery life?

Get thee to Thagbuilt.com ASAP

Harry4

Jul 12, 2009
I ordered mine on Friday or Saturday evening (sorry don't remember) and I got shipping notification on Monday. It arrived Wednesday. But I also ordered one with a standard paint job and he happened to have one already made, so if you got custom art or he is out of stock it will probably take longer.

Lucky dog. I ordered a plain old black one on the 9th. Haven't heard anything yet. Can't wait!

lunaras

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Nowhere
Uh oh...I twisted the screw....a lot..EEP! It's still wroking just fine though hrmm...now I'm scared lol :(

When I checked with Jeff, he indicated that if it wasn't broken, it should be fine and to keep using it. Mine is working great so far, so I'm not going to worry about it. From everything I've seen and what Jeff said, if it does end up having a problem, he'll remedy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread