Going through ProTank heads like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey37

Jun 6, 2013
Bay Area, Cali
I'm using a provari with protank. The problem is I get that burnt taste before I'm satisfied with the amount of vapor I'm getting. With the 1.8 ohm, no matter what I set the voltage to I burn the heads up really quick. The 2.5 ohm cranked up lasts me longer but still not enough for my habit. I like to "go outside" and pretend I'm smoking an analog, taking 20+ huge giant extended hits basically holding the button down for more than half the time I'm using it. I simply can't hold down that that button as long as I want without getting the burnt taste. I'm using DIY 50vg/50pg 3.3% nic. Would switching to more of a PG mixture help keep the coil wet, or are there other adomizers, like direct drip, that would better suit my habit?

:D

Cahdek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I agree with getting a mech and rba but my advice for the Protank is to, at a minimum, turn the little rubber gasket upside down. If that doesn't fix the (presumably) wicking issue you are having, then take the top "flavor" wick out and try it with wick out and rubber seal right side up first, then upside down. I vape 50/50 in my protank with no problem, but have had the same symptoms in the past

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
For you, tes a mech would probably be better. Really a Provari wants 2-5 second pulls with activation, then a 1-2 second rest. Yes more PG would help but, with more PG, you pull lighter a.25 to .5 sec preburn then drag for 1-4 seconds is perfect on 100% PG in a protank at 4-4.5 volts.

Hig resistance attys would also help with the long pulls and short breaks you prefer. May want to learn to build you own coils to get a bit more resistance on them - I'm sure a mech could handle 3-3.2 and I know a Provari can.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
There is another possibility:

Vaping isn't smoking. It sounds like you are trying to get huge hits off your device in a very short period of time, expecting to get a nicotine buzz off the thing. You can vape yourself sick doing that. You may need to change your expectations and approach to vaping. Some people new to the experience have to deal with this.

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
Before I borked my vamo, I used to have similar problems when I paired with my protank. After fiddling with the advanced settings and dialing the wattage down (4-5w), I could get a solid, long vape like the one you're describing.

One of the things you can try is dropping the heads in some alcohol to clear out the burnt juice. But yeah, keep some extra heads on hand. My next adventure is learning to rebuild the protank to my needs.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
No juice delivery system is going to handle the LONG continuous hits you are describing without that burning taste and/or killing the coils prematurely. A higher vg content MAY help a ittle. Your current vaping style means you will be changing coils often with whatever juice delivery system you choose to use. A good RDA may also be better for your style then the protank you are using but you will still be burning through coils quickly.

The best suggestion was offered by Rickajho. Changing your expectations and your vaping style is the best way to handle those burning coils. :)

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
I love my Protanks, and had this same problem at the beginning. A couple things to try would be (like has been said) removing one of the wicks. That seemed to help with some of my thicker juices. Also, if the juice is really dark and thick I put a drop of distilled water in the tank with the juice and shake well. I also find I have to keep the voltage down to about 3.8 (a 2.2ohm head in there). Anything more and I seem to get burning. You won't get a warm vape that way, but I've grown accustomed to a cooler vape. For some juices, I've found I'm back to carto tanks for the time being.

If you're the sort who likes to tinker and are good with things like that, I'd so go for an RBA. I suck at that stuff so I'm waiting for something factory that works like that down the road. :2c:

mommafish

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2012
okc
I keep three in rotation a fresh one in the protank 4 fills take out the wick head and put in hospital grade alcohol put a new wick head in the protank let the one in the alcohol soak for a few hours then soak in water for a few then set It in a safee plave to dry for days then start over till u are back at the one wick u started with doing it thas way they lasts me a good 3 to 4 weeks..

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
I too use to burn my coils. There's a lot of good advice here for you in previous posts . May I make a suggestion ?

I use 1.5 and 1.8 coils myself. Turn your volts down EVEN MORE. I take long drags at 3.4 and 3.5 volts now. It still vapes well and you get
better flavor and less burnt heads ( I use 50/50 mix)

As said in another post, after a day or two ( I do this every day now) take out your head and soak in 90% plus alcohol or Vodka for 20 mins to an hour ( I've let them soak longer), I then get a mouth full of water ( I've used a mouth full of Vodka but I end up breaking tanks and stumbling around ) and blow through while putting my finger on the end of the tube which makes the water blow through the coils/wicks and then I put in my rotation pile to let dry for 24 hours. I keep 4 to 6 in rotation and will last for weeks and weeks like this.

I never take out a flavor wick, too may potential problems, especially the way you vape.

My two cents.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Read this.. This was in another thread. He knows Pro Tanks well....

The flavor wick(s) aren't there by mistake. They serve several purposes. First, they help wick the coil, they reduce flooding, they stop steaming hot liquid from shooting into your mouth, they help protect the coil from carbonizing and carmelizing, they spread the heat over a larger area, and they help prevent leaking. Other than that, sure, take 'em out. I watch Phil Busardo always take his flavor wick(s) out, but he's vaping 100% VG that's as thick as molasses. Suddenly, everyone, regardless of juice, starts talking about taking the wick out. I might take it out too if I was vaping custard, but my 60/40 PG/VG mix does just fine with the wicks in place. The right juice, the right heat, the right coil, the right amount of liquid in the tank, all play a greater role in the vape, than removal of the flavor wicks. If you watch enough videos, you'll hear plenty of reviewers explain this and recommend not removing the flavor wicks. My two cents. Best to you!

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I'm using a provari with protank. The problem is I get that burnt taste before I'm satisfied with the amount of vapor I'm getting. With the 1.8 ohm, no matter what I set the voltage to I burn the heads up really quick. The 2.5 ohm cranked up lasts me longer but still not enough for my habit. I like to "go outside" and pretend I'm smoking an analog, taking 20+ huge giant extended hits basically holding the button down for more than half the time I'm using it. I simply can't hold down that that button as long as I want without getting the burnt taste. I'm using DIY 50vg/50pg 3.3% nic. Would switching to more of a PG mixture help keep the coil wet, or are there other adomizers, like direct drip, that would better suit my habit?

:D

Perhaps you should Visit YouTube for a week or so and learn a bit about Vaping.
It is not your gear, it is the way you THINK you can use it.

Your heads are probably Okay, but need to be cleaned and dry burned to get the Nasty out.
Learn, Adjust, Play:D

mikey37

Jun 6, 2013
Bay Area, Cali
Thanks for the advice everyone, the original post was a little exaggerated. I think I'd be physically unable to continue vapeing at 20 full strength puffs @ 3.3%. I just miss how with an analog I can take in as much as I want then immediately do that again and again until the thing was gone. I will definitely try a mod and rba, maybe even one in each hand to give the atomizers a little break in between :)

And I lowered to 2.5% today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread