Glycerin USP vs. "food grade"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdh

Aug 16, 2010
Muncie, IN, USA
Please read the post in the above link.

I read that before forming my current opinions (that the usp spec isn't particularly relevant for PV users).

I suggest reading about the allowed level of DEG and EG and the MSDS . As little as 10ml of usp VG could be toxic for a 75 kg adult. The usp standard was designed around specific uses. Vaporizing was not one of them. Unless someone can actually check the monograph and show me that there is little or no chance of something I don't want to breath being in there, then I won't particularly care about a usp seal on my VG or PG.

This is because I had some problems that seemed to be caused by some USP verified (with the logo and everything) VG. I asked a friend who is a chem grad student for a recommendation and switched to the same stuff that he uses. It is available locally for a reasonable price and tested extremely pure in a lab.
I don't generally recommend that particular brand, or any brand for that matter, because only the one bottle was tested, because I didn't get the results in writing, and because anything usp verified is probably perfectly safe. The problems that caused me to switch could have been completely coincidental. Besides, what are the odds that any of us are inhaling anything that is more dangerous than nicotine anyway?

Sry for crossing threads, btw. I didn't want to hijack that other one.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm calling BS here tdh. I'm not sure what your problem with USP Glycerin is, but you obviously have one.

Wait, let me quote you here.
The only bad VG experience I have had, by the way, was from a bottle that was labeled as both food grade and USP (not certified).

And now,
This is because I had some problems that seemed to be caused by some USP verified (with the logo and everything)

So what we have here, is either a basic misunderstanding which shows that you did NOT read the post GoodDog linked to, or an outright lie. USP requires very specific labeling, and if what you had problems with was labeled as both food grade and USP, it was NOT USP, simply food grade. Now you want us to read that the maximum allowed level of DEG is .10% in USP, but forget about the fact that your "food grade" glycerin has no maximum allowed level, so it may contain .60% for all you know.

tdh

Aug 16, 2010
Muncie, IN, USA
Sry for that. I went back and checked the bottle between posts. It has been several months and I didn't remember correctly. It had a verified logo on it which I didn't remember being there. I should have checked first.

I don't have a problem with USP anything. I have a problem with the assertion that USP is necessarily safer for inhalation than commonly used food products. I have a problem with telling people that they have to buy something that complies with standards that may not be entirely appropriate to their use.

I don't care if you believe me. A single experience is meaningless. I do care if people start telling others that entire classes of products are unsafe without reason. In this case, telling someone that they have to buy a product that is unsafe for inhalation according to it's MSDS is wrong. Not as wrong as telling them that they should never USP pg/vg, but still wrong.

I acknowledge that there are no guarantees with food products, and they could be far worse than the minimum standard established by USP. They could also be far safer.

..so it may contain .60% for all you know.
It could. I won't argue that It couldn't. I will say that it probably doesn't. It probably doesn't contain enough of any toxins to produce an adverse reaction in the quantities people are likely to eat.

If someone who has a copy of the monograph (surely someone on the forum does) were to provide a list of the toxins tested for and the quantities allowed, then I would consider switching to a USP verified source.

If someone at least has an idea of what is in the monograph, then I would like to know. I am mostly concerned with isopropyl alcohol because I am very sensitive to it and get dizzy from just smelling the stuff.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
If someone at least has an idea of what is in the monograph, then I would like to know. I am mostly concerned with isopropyl alcohol because I am very sensitive to it and get dizzy from just smelling the stuff.

I couldn't find the actual monograph online, just the revision notice. You might be able to find a bootleg copy of it online, but it very clearly states that any USP monographs posted online that are not hosted at USP.org are in violation of copyright law. To me this means: at best copyright infringement and at worst outdated or counterfeit.

Apparently in order to get the full monograph you need to pay for the USP-NF CD or hardcopy.

DmdJoe

Mar 10, 2011
atlanta
My suggestion and what we do is to always purchase kosher usp grade glycerin. If the product is labeled kosher it means the final packaging company has allowed a rabi from the jewish community to view and walk through final packaging. This will ensure you are not buying glyerin from some dude in a garage that is repackaging it himself. Just because the product is food grade does not mean it was packaged properly. Plastics have the ability to carry residuals that are not safe for consumption. USP means it was packaged in a class 9 clean room in proper jugs. Here is the place where we buy our glycerin and PG VegetableGlycerin.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread