Recommendation for Glycerin, USP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I have been getting a reaction I think from PG and want to slowly try some DIY and I want to buy Glycerin, USP - I read that is the best pharmaceutical grade and I cannot find it.

I am on the West Coast. CVS, Kroger, Wally World - - none have it. CVS used to and now it does not have the USP. Looked at RTS vapes and it says Vegetable Glycerin USP Kosher - that is not the way that the proper labeling is supposed to be for Pharma grade Glycerin.

Any recommendation and links where I can buy - I want a gallon and I want it labeled Glycerin,USP.

Thanks.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I have been getting a reaction I think from PG and want to slowly try some DIY and I want to buy Glycerin, USP - I read that is the best pharmaceutical grade and I cannot find it.

I am on the West Coast. CVS, Kroger, Wally World - - none have it. CVS used to and now it does not have the USP. Looked at RTS vapes and it says Vegetable Glycerin USP Kosher - that is not the way that the proper labeling is supposed to be for Pharma grade Glycerin.

Any recommendation and links where I can buy - I want a gallon and I want it labeled Glycerin,USP.

Thanks.

Don't know how you think it is suppose to be labeled? You want USP. The stuff from RTS is fine. I personally buy mine from Essential Depot.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
To the OP: Heh, I hear you, mate! That sticky gets all sorts of misunderstandings going on...

You just need to get something labelled USP, EP or Ph.Eur(or BP, JP), period and no matter where it's located on the label...

I believe it's a guidance from FDA and comparable in other countries, to avoid medication errors on non-pharmaceuticals, allthough it's probably mandatory on real pharmaceuticals...

We call pharma-grade, because it meets or exceeds pharma-monographs of purity and quality, but it's not a pharmaceutical, as its not gotten a medical license that prooves it functioning positivelly in some medical aspect and sold as a real medicinal product at the drug store, but instead is sold as a healtcare product etc...

So in short, use whatever USP or EP labelled product you like! :)

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I finally found a small bottle and I have been using it to cut down my stuff and it's fine. I cut some 12% nic juices in half and did not even lose much flavor.

I have no issue with anything Kosher HOWEVER Kosher USP is not recognized by the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention. It has to be labeled as Glycerine, USP - not pure Glycerine, Kosher Glycerine not Food Grade Glycerine, not Vegetable Glycerine it has to say Glycerine, USP.

Other products may be great but for me I want it labeled as it is in the USP and that is all I am going to vape.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Don't know how you think it is suppose to be labeled? You want USP. The stuff from RTS is fine. I personally buy mine from Essential Depot.

I agree. I buy mine from Essential Depot by cases of 4. $39 for 4 gallons is a great deal. I just got 8 gallons in. :thumbs:

I make a lot of juice.

I get my nicotine in 100mg by the gallons from Heartland Vapes.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Look... There's no USP format for naming glycerin for a non-pharmaceutical! What that stickie hints too, is a guidance document by the FDA and others, which recommends that the naming be like that, but for other products and such, then it's not mandatory/law!
And you're right, neither kosher or food grade has anything to do with the USP monographs...

Edit: If i'm wrong, then I apologize in advance! :) I believe it's defined in the federal food drug and cosmetics act, but still shouldn't be mandatory for healthfood products etc. I'm a little confused now after rereading about it, so again, sorry if i'm missing something here!

Last edited:
Reactions: chellie

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Reactions: KentA

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I finally found a small bottle and I have been using it to cut down my stuff and it's fine. I cut some 12% nic juices in half and did not even lose much flavor.

I have no issue with anything Kosher HOWEVER Kosher USP is not recognized by the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention. It has to be labeled as Glycerine, USP - not pure Glycerine, Kosher Glycerine not Food Grade Glycerine, not Vegetable Glycerine it has to say Glycerine, USP.

Other products may be great but for me I want it labeled as it is in the USP and that is all I am going to vape.

It's actually all the same. Just repackaged and labelled differently. Read this: PG/VG labeling and purity: Please read!

Reactions: KentA

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
It's not all the same... I mean it's all the same regarding beeing pure glycerol with varying degrees of water between 0.5 to 0.1 percent(i'm talking about vg here specifically), but some vg is made from USA which has a single plant making soy based VG, but others can use e.g. musim mas or other palm based indonisian VG or malaysian VG etc. I myself use locally(denmark) made vg from several veg.oils...

Btw, it dosen't matter one bit what veg. source was used to make the vg, since usp vg dosen't have any traces left of the original feedstock...

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Vegetable Glycerin USP Kosher

One more time.

What this labeling designates is that it meets BOTH USP AND Kosher standards.

It is USP certified.
It has met the standards of five old Jewish guys.

It is a very common way of vendors to label Glycerin.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
If a product lives up to any spec. e.g. USP, the they can label that anywhere they please on the label. Additionally, then USP has a verification program, where they can get a special USP certified label on them, which practically no one i've ever seen has.

Pharmaceuticals don't have them on, as they are mandated by law to follow said standard allready!

Second, USP dosen't enforce it's own standards, but only sets them up. However, it's mandated by law that a pharmaceutical needs to a) be USP compliant and b) have a medical license so it can be legally sold as a pharmaceutical. If a pharmaceutical dosen't live up to the USP standard, then the medical license is rewoked...

We as DIY'ers don't use pharmaceuticals, but use pharma-grade materials, meaning that they live up to the same strict standards which also the actual pharmaceuticals does...

An example of an actua pharmaceutical pg I believe is puraguard pg, which has licenses for medical appliances in addition to the usp complience. I believe it's one of the very few pg's that's an actual pharmaceutical. Btw, liquid barn sells that as there pg i've seen from it's coa. Also, I don't know for sure, but i'm guessing dow optim also is a pharmaceutical vg with medical licenses, but just a guess.

Again, im talking about actual pharmaceuticals, which is identified by a medical/pharmaceutical license which lets it be lawfully used as components in medicines or possibly stand-alone, in addition to of course living up to the usp, and this is different from simply pharma-grade stuff!

Edit: Pharma-grade, should probably rather be called USP grade in the above, to avoid confusion...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread